Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Mahogany
yeah. I value the view, where AS located near the runway, I can slomo planes taking off.
I think most people here value the food.

I'm glad you love AS and don't compete with me for space at the CL.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by WasKnown
To each their own. I heavily disagree with you valuing these credits at face.

Greg from frequent miler does a better job of explaining this than I can:

I recommend looking at each of the annual credits and major perks and asking yourself: if I could pay separately for a subscription to this thing, how much would I pay? The answer should never be face value: you would never pay $240 in advance to get $240 in entertainment credits spread out $20 per month, would you? I hope not. Youd only pay in advance if you could get a substantial discount.

I also agree with how he discounts the credits https://frequentmiler.com/the-revise...ls-and-review/

Uber doesnt value its prepaid gift cards at face value. The Amex Platinum provides credits that are strictly worse than even normal Uber gift cards. If they wont value it at face, I wont either.
You clearly didn't read my post (which is fine, you're under no obligation to do so), but I already changed my valuation of the entertainment credit to $0.

As for Uber you've mentioned multiple times the gift cards are discounted 15% - where? I don't see any easily accessible public offer for that. If you mean a physical gift card then it's useless to me, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a physical gift card.

As for the post you linked to, he values the Uber credit at $100 because he says he doesn't use Uber that much. He doesn't mention anything about the 15% discount you have mentioned.

He's also wrong that the airline credit is gone: it is staying, so that doesn't factor into his calculation.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mahogany
one quick question: does the guest limit apply to your spouse and other direct family members?
starting 2/1/2023 your / my spouse or direct family member will have to pay $50 as a guest unless they have their own (AU) card or you charge $75k a year to the card.

Centurion Lounge crowding: Platinum cardholders may pay $50/guest effective 2.1.2023

Platinum card slowly becomes a coupon book over the years. One has to have a todo list tracking down which offers/deals haven’t been used. This annoys AF.
….
It’s a tough decision whether to keep Plat or not.
yup, it was nice to have some temporary credits added during Covid to make up for the loss of lounge benefits, but long term I think it is not the right strategy for a premium card,
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:02 am

For those of you not seeing the saks credit, it's still showing up on my account.
However what is annoying aside from the other things mentioned is that I have been unenrolled from everything on the benefits page, including my airline credit selection and the saks credit.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
The Saks credit are also not advertised as a main benefit on new applications but appears in the benefit terms pages.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
starting 2/1/2023 your / my spouse or direct family member will have to pay $50 as a guest unless they have their own (AU) card or you charge $75k a year to the card.

Centurion Lounge crowding: Platinum cardholders may pay $50/guest effective 2.1.2023

yup, it was nice to have some temporary credits added during Covid to make up for the loss of lounge benefits, but long term I think it is not the right strategy for a premium card,
I'm starting to think I should just get the Business Platinum since it has a lower AF and credits that I can easily use. Either way, I need a Platinum for Centurion Lounge access.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveman518
For those of you not seeing the saks credit, it's still showing up on my account.
However what is annoying aside from the other things mentioned is that I have been unenrolled from everything on the benefits page, including my airline credit selection and the saks credit.
Same thing for me. Yet, I can't seem to enroll in Saks. I keep getting an error message.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Same thing for me. Yet, I can't seem to enroll in Saks. I keep getting an error message.
I'm getting error messages for all of them but some of them (not the saks) are enrolling again...
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveman518
I'm getting error messages for all of them but some of them (not the saks) are enrolling again...
I wonder if I'll get another $200 for the airline credit again this year? Man, that would be an awesome glitch error.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:40 am

It is actually crazy how limited the entertainment and hotel benefits are. Not surprising given this is Amex, but they are going really far with the breakage stuff at this point and the restrictions and coupon book style cards.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
A few notes
  • In terms of holding a single card, it is a massive win for me
    • I already pay for an Equinox All Club Access membership, so $300 credit is useful
    • I already pay over $20 a month for NYT and Peacock, so that works for me too
    • I let my CLEAR membership lapse during Covid, will now reapply
    • Airline incidental fee reimbursement is kept
    • Prepaid hotel credit can be useful
    • Hopefully the Resy benefits are actually meaningful (I doubt they are though)
    • Saks, Uber Eats credits retained
    • Most of the other benefits of the card (warranty, protection, hotel status, etc) appear to be retained. Hilton Gold by itself can be worth $100 or more with just a few nights
  • What is hit, though, is the value of holding two or more flavors of Platinum, IMO
    • Schwab Platinum transfer ratio to be devalued soon
    • It doesn't seem to be possible to double up the Equinox Credit
    • I can't really use two Clear credits (I forget how much it costs to add. a partner to Clear)
    • I don't pay much more than $20 a month for NYT/Peacock, so the extra $20 monthly credit isn't that valuable
    • Double Resy benefits would be redundant
    • Not sure if you will get the full value of the extra $200 in airline or hotel credits

So one of my Amex Plat / Schwab Amex Plat will be downgraded or cancelled next year. However I am happy with the new benefits

Last edited by Adelphos; Jul 1, 2021 at 4:08 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:18 am

Also a win for me mostly because I'm already am Equinox member, so that's about 1.5 free month and it makes up for the annual fee raise.
Incredibly disappointed in the digital subscription credit. I guess they only went for services that not so many people use, if they went for Spotify or Netflix almost every member would get those.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdm31091
It is actually crazy how limited the entertainment and hotel benefits are. Not surprising given this is Amex, but they are going really far with the breakage stuff at this point and the restrictions and coupon book style cards.
I think what made the news so disappointing is that everyone was speculating the entertainment credit can be used with any streaming service.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
A few notes
  • In terms of holding a single card, it is a massive win for me
    • I already pay for an Equinox All Club Access membership, so $300 credit is useful
    • I already pay over $20 a month for NYT and Peacock, so that works for me too
    • I let my CLEAR membership lapse during Covid, will now reapply
    • Airline incidental fee reimbursement is kept
    • Prepaid hotel credit can be useful
    • Hopefully the Resy benefits are actually meaningful (I doubt they are though)
    • Saks, Uber Eats credits retained
    • Most of the other benefits of the card (warranty, protection, hotel status, etc) appear to be retained. Hilton Gold by itself can be worth $100 or more with just a few nights
  • What is hit, though, is the value of holding two or more flavors of Platinum, IMO
    • Schwab Platinum transfer ratio to be devalued soon
    • It doesn't seem to be possible to double up the Equinox Credit
    • I can't really use two Clear credits (I forget how much it costs to add. a partner to Clear)
    • I don't pay much more than $20 a month for NYT/Peacock, so the extra $20 monthly credit isn't that valuable
    • Double Resy benefits would be redundant
    • Not sure if you will get the full value of the extra $200 in airline or hotel credits

So one of my Amex Plat / Schwab Amex Plat will be downgraded or cancelled next year. However I am happy with the new benefits
How much are you paying for NYT and Peacock each month? Do you have elite status? I think UA and DL give their top-tier elites discounted CLEAR membership.

The good news is that I'm locked into last year's AF. I'm going to reassess the value of the Platinum to me when it's time to renew. I think I might just sign up for a Business Platinum instead since it's cheaper and still give me access to the Centurion Lounge. $695 wouldn't be so bad if the Equinox and entertainment credits were more flexible.

Originally Posted by Klems
Also a win for me mostly because I'm already am Equinox member, so that's about 1.5 free month and it makes up for the annual fee raise.
Incredibly disappointed in the digital subscription credit. I guess they only went for services that not so many people use, if they went for Spotify or Netflix almost every member would get those.
I think AMEX went for the services where they were able to negotiate deals.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think what made the news so disappointing is that everyone was speculating the entertainment credit can be used with any streaming service.

How much are you paying for NYT and Peacock each month? Do you have elite status? I think UA and DL give their top-tier elites discounted CLEAR membership.
I believe I pay about $30 a month for Peacock / NYT ($25 for NYT, $4.99 for Peacock). Even if I was able to get a more discounted NYT Membership (which I think I will try to do), $4.99 a month or more for Peacock is useful for me as a Premier League fan

I will be a Delta Platinum later this year, I think there is a discount for CLEAR, but it isn't free for me. Let's see if I make Diamond next year (would be a first for me but I will be traveling more)

I do recognize for those that do not use Equinox, NYT, Peacock or Clear that this is more of a simple fee increase. But at least the previous credits (Uber, Saks, airline incidental) remain.

Within the Amex portfolio, people should consider Hilton Aspire, Bonvoy Brilliant and Delta Platinum/Reserve if you want more of a travel oriented card, want some standard Amex network benefits, and can make those particular travel partners work. I
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I believe I pay about $30 a month for Peacock / NYT ($25 for NYT, $4.99 for Peacock). Even if I was able to get a more discounted NYT Membership (which I think I will try to do), $4.99 a month or more for Peacock is useful for me as a Premier League fan
I'm more of a news guy and I'm trying to figure out what Peacock will offer to me that I can't get with YouTube TV. I'm actually planning to get the YTV 4K upgrade as it'll also give me mobile downloads. Perfect when there's no connection!

I will be a Delta Platinum later this year, I think there is a discount for CLEAR, but it isn't free for me. Let's see if I make Diamond next year (would be a first for me but I will be traveling more)
I don't think CLEAR is free so I guess it could be a win since the Platinum includes it.

I do recognize for those that do not use Equinox, NYT, Peacock or Clear that this is more of a simple fee increase. But at least the previous credits (Uber, Saks, airline incidental) remain.
Equinox credit is totally useless to me unless AMEX makes it more flexible.

Within the Amex portfolio, people should consider Hilton Aspire, Bonvoy Brilliant and Delta Platinum/Reserve if you want more of a travel oriented card, want some standard Amex network benefits, and can make those particular travel partners work. I
I already have all 4 cards that you mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.