Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I would ask for it whenever the $695 hits the statement not the $550.

If $550 was worth it before, it’s 100% worth it now.
That's the point, I wasn't even sure I was keeping at $550. I don't like the way they are doling out monthly credits. They paid me to reconsider for at least 12 months, seems simple to me. I wouldn't have missed it if I dropped it.

I asked even before my $550 hit. I spend a moderate amount of money with Amex, virtually none of it on the Platinum card
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:29 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
I think it's going to be a YMMV answer for everyone. For me, the $200 FHR credit is worth much less, maybe $100, if that because I always stay with chains where I have the highest status (Hyatt Globalist for life, Marriot Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond).

The streaming credit is worth $0 to me because I don't use any of those except for Sirius and I've got a grandfathered lifetime subscription I already paid for. I get Clear free through United as a 1K, but will sign up P2 and a kid. Wouldn't have done it otherwise, though.

Equinox is truly laughable. About 1% of the population belongs and many of them couldn't even use this credit.

So for me, the new benefits add up to maybe $50 if I assign some value to the Clear membership I wouldn't have otherwise bought.

Easy cancel for me when it's renewal time unless they throw me a great retention offer.
Originally Posted by cfabar1
In regards to how do I feel:

$695 Fee
-$100 Saks Credit
$595 of things that are slightly more complicated to use:
-$200 Airline Credit - A pain, but not too bad if you are strategic, and if more loopholes aren’t closed
$395 of things that are decently able to get my money back
-$200 Uber -Not an easy credit in my particular line of use
-$240 Streaming Credit - Mostly services I will use because they are free with the credit, but not that I would purchase otherwise.
-$200 FHR/THC Credit - kind of a pain since I usually book direct with Marriott or Hyatt to ensure my elite benefits. Supposedly Hyatt will count this, but i am not sure.
-$179 Clear Credit - Okay, I’ll get it because it is free? It is in some of the airports I use with some frequency, but GE/Pre Check is much more useful.

So there is a lot of money on the table to defray the fee. I’m ambivalent towards most of the benefits, and may downgrade the card. Not very sure at this point. The greater earnings rate with Gold is worth sacrificing the FHR benefits for me and the lounge access potentially.
Lots of comments on FHR credit. As a big fan of Park Hyatt + St. Regis and a Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Ambassador/Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum, I understand. I have multiple FHR stays booked for the coming days across a few hotel programs and share my experience with getting them connected.

So far, both the Hilton and Marriott bookings show up in my app after simply asking the hotels to connect my account to the reservation. We will see if the points post but it’s looking good so far. Hope this clarifies some things.

I would be booking stays at many hotels within FHR regardless. I AM changing my behavior by booking through FHR instead of Virtuoso/Marriott Stars/Hyatt Prive/Four Seasons Preferred Partner/Rosewood Elite but it’s not a bother when the rates are the same (only needs to be the same once a year for me to use the credit). I’m guessing it’s the same for you both? For me, valuing the $200 FHR credit at $150 with this in mind makes sense.

I also agree with both of your points on the clear credit. We have lifetime Clear through lifetime United Global Services so it’s just impossible for me to ever get any value out of this (if Clear terminates the United partnership, I’m guessing they will terminate this amex partnership too).
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:08 pm

Why would any of you with a renewal date before Jan 2022 cancel (or ask for a retention offer) if the benefits you signed up for at that price stayed exactly the same? Everything else is just extra, even if you value every single new benefit at 0$.
My situation may be a little unique, but I've had the Schwab Platinum since 2018, and recently got the Morgan Stanley Platinum for the free authorized user and engagement bonus to offset the annual fee.

Realistically, I don't have a need for 2 Platinum cards, but ran the numbers and figured I could probably eke out around $620.00 in value on a $550.00 annual fee. However, that would involve using the airline, FHR, Saks, and Uber credits early in 2022, before my next renewal. I've already utilized, or will utilize my current FHR, Saks, Uber, and airline credits before my current renewal in August.

Frankly, I'd rather pocket the $550.00 cash than deal with 2 "coupon books" for 2022.With the upcoming cash-out devaluation of the CS Platinum and the Morgan Stanley perks, it made sense to switch but not double up. However, I like Schwab as a brokerage and will keep assets with them. When I call to cancel in August, I'll definitely have my fingers crossed for a retention offer.
jtc246 and TravelingZoomer like this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jul 5, 2021 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
One doesn't need to wait until the annual fee hits to ask if there are any "offers on my card to offset the annual fee."

I received 50K MR points last May - six months prior to my renewal date - just by asking. The worst thing that can happen is AMEX says "no offers available."

If you don't ask, you don't know.
IndyHoosier, Zorak, m907 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Just a thought but am I the only one who would just be happy with a Plat Amex with amazing Concierge service & 5 MRs for each $ spent on travel, dining and gas? All those other benefits require you to restructure your life around them.
Not at $695.

Ive never found the concierge service of value. I
also hold the CSR and use it as my primary card. I use this card mainly for DL lounge access. I’m not sure I see value in the new additions beyond the $20 streaming credit. As others pointed out uothread, this price increase is causing me to rethink my card.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by WasKnown
So what’s the general sentiment on these Amex plat changes?
On here at FT and the points/miles sphere in general? Mostly everyone seems to hate it. I think I'm one of the few on here who thinks these changes are an absolute win.

It bears repeating, we here on this forum are the small minority, and a pretty unprofitable group at that. It comes to no surprise that Amex's first responsibility are to make a profit and deliver returns to their shareholders. Their job is to not make "us" over here on FT happy. It also bears repeating that this forum is a bubble, and most of the target demographic for these changes are not on this forum. I myself am on the older spectrum of the Gen Z crowd (hence, TravelingZoomer). Not to make anyone here feel old, but I believe that this website existed before I was born.

The average American has around 3-4 credit cards, and out of those maybe 1 for "splurging", and Amex is competing for the one spot. They have signaled pretty hard that they want to transition to the young millennial and GZ crowd that has only been sped up by the pandemic. A few stats

Younger Americans are twice as likely to rideshare than Older Americans.

Younger Americans are the most likely consumers of audiobooks and streaming platforms

Younger Americans are willing to pay for luxury status symbols, like Equinox, in favor of material goods. I'm sure there will be tons of equinox users who will sign up for the Plat now given the tie in.

As the dominant work force shifts to the Millennial generation, changes like these are only going to continue, whether we like it or not. I have tons of friends getting into the credit card scene and a bunch of them want the Plat card because it's also an identity (have you seen those facebook groups, oh gosh).

I won't go into every credit in my personal valuation, because I do get full value out of each new credit and I wish that were the same for all of you. The cell phone protection, trip delay insurance, and extended warranty can't be easily quantified but it definitely gives peace of mind. But one last note , I do find it funny how everyone is bemoaning how lounges are always crowded, and now are also bemoaning a move that will presumably cut down crowds.
dw, Statman, jcain and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darkrider
Has the statement credit posted for you all yet? I signed up for Clear. I ended up doing the $179 one because I wanted to make sure it was just right with Amex. (I subsequently linked United Mileageplus and then clear said it would go to $109 next year). However, so far I just see a statement credit of $70? Are the credits posting in pieces for anyone else? Hopefully it all goes through and won't require a phone call
I suspect the $70 credit is just CLEAR giving you the preferred UA pricing
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...lus/clear.html
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Any DP's on $200 Hotel Credit Posting

I did a "Pay Now" FHR rate, but as it's cancellable until the day before, I want to ensure it qualifies.

Any data points on the $200 hotel credit posting?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On here at FT and the points/miles sphere in general? Mostly everyone seems to hate it. I think I'm one of the few on here who thinks these changes are an absolute win.

It bears repeating, we here on this forum are the small minority, and a pretty unprofitable group at that. It comes to no surprise that Amex's first responsibility are to make a profit and deliver returns to their shareholders. Their job is to not make "us" over here on FT happy. It also bears repeating that this forum is a bubble, and most of the target demographic for these changes are not on this forum. I myself am on the older spectrum of the Gen Z crowd (hence, TravelingZoomer). Not to make anyone here feel old, but I believe that this website existed before I was born.

The average American has around 3-4 credit cards, and out of those maybe 1 for "splurging", and Amex is competing for the one spot. They have signaled pretty hard that they want to transition to the young millennial and GZ crowd that has only been sped up by the pandemic. A few stats

Younger Americans are the most likely consumers of audiobooks and streaming platforms

Younger Americans are willing to pay for luxury status symbols, like Equinox, in favor of material goods. I'm sure there will be tons of equinox users who will sign up for the Plat now given the tie in.

As the dominant work force shifts to the Millennial generation, changes like these are only going to continue, whether we like it or not. I have tons of friends getting into the credit card scene and a bunch of them want the Plat card because it's also an identity (have you seen those facebook groups, oh gosh).

I won't go into every credit in my personal valuation, because I do get full value out of each new credit and I wish that were the same for all of you. The cell phone protection, trip delay insurance, and extended warranty can't be easily quantified but it definitely gives peace of mind. But one last note , I do find it funny how everyone is bemoaning how lounges are always crowded, and now are also bemoaning a move that will presumably cut down crowds.
The FT crowd — at least the more active posters — seem to generally be born pre-1990 and maybe are more likely to travel with family members whom they guest into lounges than those born post-1990. “You are what you eat” has the internet-equivalent in “you are what you post”. And it shows in the reactions to Amex changes. That said, most of the people born post-1990 in the US should probably not be in the market to pay up for a Platinum discount coupon booklet when struggling to even get into the home-buyer market, having questionable savings prospects, and being in line for a very turbulent employment picture for decades to come.
bigbuy, yjc281 and lsquare like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 6, 2021 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The FT crowd — at least the more active posters — seem to generally be born pre-1990 and maybe are more likely to travel with family members whom they guest into lounges than those born post-1990. “You are what you eat” has the internet-equivalent in “you are what you post”. And it shows in the reactions to Amex changes. That said, most of the people born post-1990 in the US should probably not be in the market to pay up for a Platinum discount coupon booklet when struggling to even get into the home-buyer market, having questionable savings prospects, and being in line for a very turbulent employment picture for decades to come.
The best of luck to the lifestyles coupon card, and the niche that loves it. And why not? Chase, Citi, and Capital One now have a better chance to compete directly in the luxury travel sector, maybe everyone wins. Judging by the YouTube comments from generally young Americans though, I would disagree that Gen Z and Millennials are doing backflips over these changes. The overwhelming majority of responses:

1. Uproar, quitting, downsizing, or taking Amex off the wish list
'2. Churning the new offers, not worth it past year 1
3. Not in favor of the new changes, but there's enough value to make it work.
yjc281 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That said, most of the people born post-1990 in the US should probably not be in the market to pay up for a Platinum discount coupon booklet when struggling to even get into the home-buyer market, having questionable savings prospects, and being in line for a very turbulent employment picture for decades to come.
I mean Amex is definitely chasing young, urban professionals in high earning industries like tech and finance. Think about the people and the gym bags you would find at an Equinox. These are fresh college grads working as big tech SWEs, bulge bracket/elite boutique investment bankers, traders at high frequency trading firms, etc.

This is the perfect market for Amex. They are high income ($150K+/Yr starting salary out of college, many people’s first jobs pay $500K/yr total comp) with a very high propensity to spend. Chase is seemingly going after the same market. I think they know exactly what they are doing.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:20 am

Hard agree with everything you’ve said. I also think this is why Amex is unlikely to change the earning categories for the Plat any time soon. While people here realize the Plat is easy to get, the general public still gives ownership of the card social meaning. People WANT to pay with the card at restaurants, coffee shops, etc to flex lol. Amex doesn’t need to add an additional earning incentive to use the card.

It’s also interesting (but not surprising) how my friends with the Plat automatically assumed it was the best card for earning points.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MojoGuru
The best of luck to the lifestyles coupon card, and the niche that loves it. And why not? Chase, Citi, and Capital One now have a better chance to compete directly in the luxury travel sector, maybe everyone wins. Judging by the YouTube comments from generally young Americans though, I would disagree that Gen Z and Millennials are doing backflips over these changes. The overwhelming majority of responses:

1. Uproar, quitting, downsizing, or taking Amex off the wish list
'2. Churning the new offers, not worth it past year 1
3. Not in favor of the new changes, but there's enough value to make it work.
In terms of points earnings, most of the innovation in recent years has been in the mid range (Chase Freedom Unlimited and Flex, Citi Premier, Double Cash and Custom Cash, Amex Gold, some of the Capital One cards). Luxury travel cards that give Flyertalkers a bunch of points and lounge access for moderate fees aren’t gonna make much money. Further Chase and Amex are raising fees on their high end cards and Citi has discontinued its high end card. Trends are going in one direction
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
I mean Amex is definitely chasing young, urban professionals in high earning industries like tech and finance. Think about the people and the gym bags you would find at an Equinox. These are fresh college grads working as big tech SWEs, bulge bracket/elite boutique investment bankers, traders at high frequency trading firms, etc.

This is the perfect market for Amex. They are high income ($150K+/Yr starting salary out of college, many people’s first jobs pay $500K/yr total comp) with a very high propensity to spend. Chase is seemingly going after the same market. I think they know exactly what they are doing.
How many people do you think are in this category of city dwelling "boutique bankers" with a six-figure income right out of college? Maybe 20,000?

If millennials and zoomers with six-figure incomes are what American Express wants, they should be marketing to electricians, plumbers, construction workers, and other tradesmen who actually do make that kind of money without needing an overpriced college degree.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by m907
How many people do you think are in this category of city dwelling "boutique bankers" with a six-figure income right out of college? Maybe 20,000?

If millennials and zoomers with six-figure incomes are what American Express wants, they should be marketing to electricians, plumbers, construction workers, and other tradesmen who actually do make that kind of money without needing an overpriced college degree.
The elite boutique banker group is just one of the many groups of people I have observed coming to Equinox. You picked the smallest group out of my comment lol. Of course anything with “boutique” in it will be small.

There’s also the big tech SWE, HFT traders, bulge bracket ibankers, etc that I mentioned. Out of that, the biggest group is definitely the SWEs. Google alone has 125K+ employees (which obviously skews younger). I reckon there is a sizable market for this given that there are so many companies that match or far exceed Google’s comp structure. Even private firms pay huge salaries and those jobs are arguably more lucrative due to RSU potential (Airbnb minted more deca millionaires than any other company last year). https://www.levels.fyi/company/ByteD...ware-Engineer/

Another reason this market is appealing for Chase, Amex, etc is because the earning growth potential is there too. A solid SWE can end up making 500K within his/her first 5 years after graduating. A great SWE will make 500K year 1. At the Google Fellow level, these people are making casually 7 digits a year in their late 20s/early 30s, no formal college degree necessary (though it seems to help). These are people STARTING with 200K+ salaries with room to double that salary every few years (or explode it 100x with a great IPO).

I am not even a SWE lol. This is just my observation from living in SF/NYC. These cities are filled with many young professionals earning decent money. Because they are young, they also have a high propensity to consume.

Have you noticed how people like Sebby and Dave Hanson are in tech? It’s no coincidence that both Chase and Amex are focusing on adding benefits for services DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, Peloton, Equinox, etc. IMO, they know exactly what they are doing.

The people like us that want to nitpick the card, optimize our earnings, and scrounge up every last point are NOT the customers the banks want.

Last edited by WasKnown; Jul 6, 2021 at 6:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.