Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help: $1k Avis Car Damage during rental. Amex Plat says they are secondary…

Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

My wife returned her rental car with minor damage. We don’t dispute the $1k in damage but believed that Amex Plat rental coverage should have provided this protection as part of their benefits.

Avis is billing us through a service called “Viking Billing Service”. According to both Viking Billing and Amex Plat, they say Amex is a secondary insurer and that they require our primary insurance. We don’t want them to file a claim with our primary insurance as our deductible is $1k.

I just looked up Amex benefits for the Platinum card and it states the following for rental car benefits“Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance♦︎
Getting into your Rental Vehicle can be the start of a great vacation. When you use your Eligible Card to reserve and pay for the Entire Rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental Company counter, you can be covered for Damage to or Theft of a Rental Vehicle in a Covered Territory. Please read important exclusions and restrictions. Not all vehicle types or rentals are covered. Coverage is not available for vehicles rented in Australia, Italy, and New Zealand. This product provides secondary coverage and does not include liability coverage.”

Did Amex change their policy? This was one of the primary reasons we paid for Amex car rental coverage.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Last edited by atwnsw2; Jun 28, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Unless you paid for the Amex premium car rental insurance, which is $19 or $29 per rental and is primary coverage, I forget, then amex is indeed secondary coverage. Which is the major reason I don't use Amex cards for car rentals.
seawolf, dw, Tanic and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted above the standard insurance that comes with the card is secondary. You must sign up for the primary insurance and a fee per rental is charged. See:
AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection [Consolidated]
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:25 pm

I think Amex just wants a copy of your insurance to see proof of the deductible. They won't file a claim with your insurance they will just pay you up to the deductible and then it will be up to you if you want to file for anything over that amount with your insurance. At least that is how it worked for me.
dw and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
What should I do?
Dispute the damage. You would be surprised.
ithinkurdumb and m907 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Unless you paid for the Amex premium car rental insurance, which is $19 or $29 per rental and is primary coverage, I forget, then amex is indeed secondary coverage.
$17.95 for California residents; otherwise $19.95.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Which is the major reason I don't use Amex cards for car rentals.
I'm not aware of any other credit card coverage that's primary?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
$17.95 for California residents; otherwise $19.95.
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve are two that provide primary coverage.
SanDiego1K, Need, karenkay and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Question: Avis/Viking is asking for the declaration page of my primary insurance carrier.

If I provide them with this info, then what is to prevent them from filing the entire claim against my insurance carrier, Chubb?

I will will be thrilled to pay anything over the $1,000 deductible out-of-pocket but am concerned that they want my Chubb info to file the entire claim or have it on my record which will drive up my premium.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Question: Avis/Viking is asking for the declaration page of my primary insurance carrier.

If I provide them with this info, then what is to prevent them from filing the entire claim against my insurance carrier, Chubb?

I will will be thrilled to pay anything over the $1,000 deductible out-of-pocket but am concerned that they want my Chubb info to file the entire claim or have it on my record which will drive up my premium.

Thanks in advance
Nothing - because Chubb is your primary insurance in this case. The secondary insurance provided by your AMEX Plat card only kicks in after the primary insurance has been exhausted.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
So will Amex’s coverage reimburse OP for the $1,000 deductible then?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I think Amex just wants a copy of your insurance to see proof of the deductible. They won't file a claim with your insurance they will just pay you up to the deductible and then it will be up to you if you want to file for anything over that amount with your insurance. At least that is how it worked for me.
I am getting conflicting info from this thread. All the other posts say that that they will file with Chubb as primary but your experience was Chubb would cover above deductible while Amex would cover up to deductible and I could pay out-of-pocket anything over deductible.

So confused how to proceed. I want to send them the declarations page but only if Amex will cover my deductible and I will pay anything over…..
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:19 pm

I think the AMEX insurance will end up paying the deductible....after you file a claim with Chubb. There is no deductible if there is no claim, is there? You can't expect the secondary insurer to pay if you haven't filed a claim with the primary insurer first.

"If you have secondary insurance, the process is more complicated. You'll have to make a claim with your personal insurance and also with the card's secondary insurance. The secondary insurance provided by your credit card will only cover what your personal insurance won't pay, which might just be your deductible.

For this reason, the value of secondary insurance really depends on the deductible on your current car insurance policy. If you have a $0 deductible, secondary auto insurance from a credit card is, in many cases, almost useless. If your deductible is $1,000, then the secondary insurance is good to have, because it will pay the $1,000 deductible for you.

Of course, secondary insurance won't pay for the increased premiums you'll pay on your car insurance for years after making a claim. That's why primary insurance is the best -- you can avoid the claim and the resulting increase in your premiums."

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/cred...e-through-you/

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 28, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
many Chase credit cards that levy annual fees are primary coverage. I always use my Sapphire Reserve for car rentals
seawolf, ck8, Duke787 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve are two that provide primary coverage.
Chase Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite.

This article lists other cards offering primary coverage.

Credit Cards With Primary Rental Car Insurance - ValuePenguin
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:44 pm

I am getting conflicting info from this thread. All the other posts say that that they will file with Chubb as primary but your experience was Chubb would cover above deductible while Amex would cover up to deductible and I could pay out-of-pocket anything over deductible.

So confused how to proceed. I want to send them the declarations page but only if Amex will cover my deductible and I will pay anything over…..
In my case I had already paid for the damage because Hertz had billed my Amex for the damages. There was nothing for Hertz to pursue with my insurance company. I sought reimbursement from Amex's insurance. I had to upload my insurance declaration page but that was all I had to do. My damages were less than yours and my insurance wasn't going to cover any of it. So I got full reimbursement from Amex and I never filed anything with my insurance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.