Wiki Posts
Search

Amex IAP & Delta change fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Amex IAP & Delta change fees

Has anyone booked Amex IAP tickets on Delta since they instated $0 change fees and had any experience with voluntary changes or cancellations?

I know if I book directly with Delta and something goes wrong and I need to change my flight, worst case I'd end up with a Delta eCertificate for the full price of the ticket. But I was wondering if there are any gotchas if I book via the online Amex IAP site instead of through Delta directly.

Delta's site says:
Third-Party Ticket ChangesIf you need to change a ticket that Delta didn’t issue, such as a ticket you purchased through a hotel or vacation package, additional fees may apply.
ADDITIONAL THIRD-PARTY TICKET HANDLING CHARGES MAY APPLY TO:
  • A traditional travel agency
  • An online travel agency
  • Another airline, including SkyTeam and codeshare partners
"May apply" is vague!
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by david22
"May apply" is vague!
May apply is accurate. Delta is telling you that the agency may impose a fee. To find out you would need to ask the agency, not Delta.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by david22
But I was wondering if there are any gotchas if I book via the online Amex IAP site instead of through Delta directly.
Well yes, unless DL will take over the ticket, you'll have to deal with Expedia to make any changes, and they will charge you a $39 fee per transaction.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:32 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks for the clarifications. I guess I was interpreting Delta's verbiage as implying that they might add their own fee on top of the third-party change fees (presumably as a way to encourage you to book direct, similar to making seat selection difficult, etc.).

One poster mentioned that Expedia imposes their own $39 change fee. Am I right in recalling that booking online is free through IAP, but then you're dealing with Amex Travel Online which is Expedia. Meanwhile, if you call Platinum Travel Services they can also book IAP rates, but then they charge you $39 per ticket just to issue the tickets, and then you're dealing with Amex PTS instead of Amex Online Travel / Expedia.

Or have I mixed up the details here? Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't worry so much about $39 here or there, as you have to save way more than that for IAP to be worthwhile. In my mind, the question is whether the savings are such that you're willing to risk a huge headache if you have to change the ticket through Amex Travel. If DL will take over the ticket (I have no experience with this) that's less of a concern, though DL may charge a fee to do so. Although now that I say that, I'm reminded of the dumpster fire that DL customer service has been for at least the past year. Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I just had this situation this week. I don't have status with Delta and they had an over two hour wait time to speak to their agents. I had an online IAP fare MIA-CDG. The Expedia agent was awesome (Really!!!), handled the necessary change, although it took 30 minutes and there was no fee. Since March 2020 I have not been charged any change fees by Expedia. As another DP, although I had terrible Expedia experiences last year and earlier this year, this past few months I have had good experiences. Two of the agents said they were on "loan" from the corporate side.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be surprised if Amex PTS / Expedia charged for involuntary changes that were required because of a schedule change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.