Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Had Business Platinum previously. Received email offer. Eligible for signup bonus?

Had Business Platinum previously. Received email offer. Eligible for signup bonus?

Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Datapoint: Applied yesterday for my second AmEx Business Plat (with no lifetime verbiage in offer terms). First attempt via emailed link with 9/30/21 expiration, website stated offer no longer available. Second attempt via offer on my AmEx offers list, instant approval. Very pleasantly surprised.

First application was 6 months ago 100,000 for $15K, this one is 150,000 for $15K. Approx $80K spend (mostly taxes) on first account thus far.

FWIW, for the first account the application stated $595 Annual Fee and cardmember agreement (both hard copy which arrived with the card and downloaded from website) states Annual Membership Fee $0 for the first year, then $595, I was not charged an AF. For the second account the application stated the same thing and the downloaded cardmember agreement states Annual Membership Fee $595. Certainly was not expecting another free lunch 😉.

For the first account, perhaps due to my call to request a different statement date, my first statement was 63 days after account opening date and I had to meet the minimum spend twice on 2 different statements before AmEx posted it. Hope they dont jerk me around for the bonus this time. Wondering if I should apply again in another few months?
Apply for another one, but it needs to be 3, not 2, months. 91 days exactly works. I'm working on Biz Plat #3 MSR for the same SUB of 150k. Applied on day 91 and was instantly approved.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Just applied and got approved for my 3rd Platinum and 3rd Gold (both Biz) today.
and a few hours later they sent me two emails saying that I am eligible to apply for a Biz Gold (again?). They want my business
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by blitzen
Just applied and got approved for my 3rd Platinum and 3rd Gold (both Biz) today.
and a few hours later they sent me two emails saying that I am eligible to apply for a Biz Gold (again?). They want my business
Thats happened to me these last few months. I got my second gold biz in April (orig from 2016), my third plat biz in June (others from 2017 one an upgrade). Then have had at least 5 target offers via email, 2 in my logged in account, and 3 via mail. Its ridiculous. Im nervous that theyd deny the SUB if I applied again. Some of those emails came within hours of the recent app.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Apply for another one, but it needs to be 3, not 2, months. 91 days exactly works. I'm working on Biz Plat #3 MSR for the same SUB of 150k. Applied on day 91 and was instantly approved.
Thank you. Have you been charged the annual fee for all 3 accounts? (I'm spoiled as AmEx somehow did not charge me the annual fee for my first account.)
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
It definitely has been an interesting year for me, too. I've gotten several offers for biz plats since January and one for biz gold (all NLL). I opened a biz plat in Jan (100K bonus), followed by the biz gold in May (100K), and now just completed a second biz plat bonus (150K). What's interesting is that last month, I got an offer on my latest biz plat acct that for each AU I had, I get 20K MR after each AU spends $4K in 6 months. So, while I added 4 au's, I was able to use 2 AU cards to meet the rest of the $15K spend and also satisfy the $4K spend on each card. So, I ended up getting 150K+40K MR's on the $15K spend. I now also have several AU's on some of my other biz cards with the same offer.

Unfortunately, I have one more saved offer for another biz plat good through 9/30, but now gives me the "We're sorry..." message when I try to access the application. It looks like it's been rescinded... I guess it's better this way since it's removed the temptation to apply for another one 😃
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Got an email for 90K Gold biz. The email has lifetime language, but when I click on the apply link there is no lifetime language in the usual spot on the application page.

Which one counts?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Okay, I just can't resist the temptation anymore. Got Gold Biz in April, Plat Biz in June. Have >10 offers via email as well as one in my account when logged in. Those of you with multiples within months: any issues with getting SUB? It just seems so strange that they are piling on the offers with NLL.

Also, those two apps did not trigger a hard pull. Presumably bc longtime amex cardholder? They were pop ups in my account. Is this also generally the case with email offers?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
email has lifetime language apply link no lifetime language
Which one counts?
Considering AmEx can only be trusted as far as you can spit, only way to be certain is to apply and meet the MS and see if the SUB posts. FWIW, Id go with the last thing you see during the application process; in the situation you describe, Id go for it.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Those of you with multiples within months: any issues with getting SUB?
Datapoint: Applied yesterday (1-2 weeks ago) for my second AmEx Business Plat (with no lifetime verbiage in offer terms). via offer on my AmEx offers list, instant approval. Very pleasantly surprised.

For the first account (6-7 months ago), perhaps due to my call to request a different statement date, my first statement was 63 days after account opening date and I had to meet the minimum spend twice on 2 different statements before AmEx posted it (SUB). Hope they dont jerk me around for the bonus this time.
Card above received via FedEx 1 day after approval. I was away for a few days, 3-4 days later called AmEx to confirm card and SUB and closing date, next day met MS with an estimated tax payment, SUB posted on-line 1 day later.

Teaching point: for timely posting of AmEx SUB, do not change statement closing date prior to SUB posting and first statement.

Illogical AmEx SUB Policies: AmEx has its once per lifetime policy which is completely ignored for the multiple Business Plat and Business Gold accounts reported by several people here. And, Ive received the pop-up (no bonus) several times during the past 6 months for other AmEx applications with arguably much less valuable SUBs (Business Green 25K MR, Marriott Bonvoy Business 100K or 70K Bonvoy). Wondering what their rationale is.

two apps did not trigger a hard pull. Presumably bc longtime amex cardholder? They were pop ups in my account. Is this also generally the case with email offers?
There are many blog posts and also a thread here indicating that AmEx does not do a hard pull for existing cardholders. Few reports of differences between account pop-up and emailed offers, uncertain if thats because there is no difference or because few people have experienced it.

BREAK

There have been many reports of highly generous AmEx retention offers. Wondering about datapoints for retention offers when one has multiples of an identical card?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:59 am

There are many blog posts and also a thread here indicating that AmEx does not do a hard pull for existing cardholders. Few reports of differences between account pop-up and emailed offers, uncertain if thats because there is no difference or because few people have experienced it.
What were the differences? More hard pulls for emailed offers? Just curious. Mine were pop ups or were in my account as sidebar offer or in the membership offers like the $10 credit for $30 Apple Pay.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Considering AmEx can only be trusted as far as you can spit, only way to be certain is to apply and meet the MS and see if the SUB posts. FWIW, Id go with the last thing you see during the application process; in the situation you describe, Id go for it
I'm guessing SUB means bonus, but is it actually an acronym for something?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:19 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator Translation Service

Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:11 pm

Also, those two apps did not trigger a hard pull. Presumably bc longtime amex cardholder? They were pop ups in my account. Is this also generally the case with email offers?
What were the differences? More hard pulls for emailed offers? Just curious. Mine were pop ups or were in my account as sidebar offer or in the membership offers like the $10 credit for $30 Apple Pay.
Sorry, I was trying to answer 2 questions with one sentence.

There are many blog posts and also a thread here indicating that AmEx does not do a hard pull for existing cardholders (regardless of application via emailed offer or application via account pop-up offer or application via account sidebar offer).

Break

There are few, if any, reports of different pop-up probability and/or different hard pull occurrence between emailed and account pop-up offers and account sidebar offers. Its unknown if those few-if-any reports are because there is no difference or because there have been few occurrences to report.

Summary: There are almost no reports of different frequency of pop-up and frequency of hard pull based on an application via an emailed offer or an application via an account pop-up offer or an application via an account sidebar offer.

Break
UA Fan, my apologies. Based on your seniority and participation on other credit card threads, I presumed you were familiar with SUB. Good to see that your question was answered quickly.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
… second Biz Platinum …
Originally Posted by blitzen
… 3rd Platinum and 3rd Gold (both Biz) …
… second gold biz in April … my third plat biz in June …
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
… second biz plat bonus …
… second AmEx Business Plat …
For the sake of discussion, let’s call this the “I can’t believe they gave me multiple bonuses for the exact same (type of) card *club”, membership is automatic upon approval for the second account of the exact same card, there are no dues and also no benefits (other than bragging rights ). Congratulations on your membership .

Any data points regarding retention bonuses?

The “American Express retention offers” thread is replete with (what I see as) very generous retention offers for MR cards. I’m wondering about similar offers for those of us with multiples of the exact same type of card. Considering this thread is only 4 months old, is it too early for datapoints? Any club members with multiple card retention experiences to share?

(*: to learn the club’s double secret probationary confidential clandestine handshake, please go to … sorry, that’s need-to-know only … )

BREAK

Curious also, do you all expect to keep your multiple accounts open past 13 months? I would only do so if I received a very generous retention offer (like 50K for a $695 AF card, effectively another SUB) that justified the annual fee. If no or small retention offer, I do not see paying multiple (very high) AFs. Thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
For the sake of discussion, lets call this the I cant believe they gave me multiple bonuses for the exact same (type of) card *club, membership is automatic upon approval for the second account of the exact same card, there are no dues and also no benefits (other than bragging rights ). Congratulations on your membership .

Any data points regarding retention bonuses?

The American Express retention offers thread is replete with (what I see as) very generous retention offers for MR cards. Im wondering about similar offers for those of us with multiples of the exact same type of card. Considering this thread is only 4 months old, is it too early for datapoints? Any club members with multiple card retention experiences to share?

(*: to learn the clubs double secret probationary confidential clandestine handshake, please go to sorry, thats need-to-know only )

BREAK

Curious also, do you all expect to keep your multiple accounts open past 13 months? I would only do so if I received a very generous retention offer (like 50K for a $695 AF card, effectively another SUB) that justified the annual fee. If no or small retention offer, I do not see paying multiple (very high) AFs. Thank you.
A minor data point. First, I love the 35% rebate on MR redemptions, use it a lot to get 1.65 CPP, so will always have one. I'd applied for and been approved for my second Biz Plat. Then went to chat to cancel my first one, because the fee had just posted. Through chat, was offered a $595 fee credit with no spend requirement to keep that card which I took. I'll be able to cancel it in late June next year, but will get another $200 on Dell credits and $200 in United Travel Bank funds for $0.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:36 pm

For the sake of discussion, lets call this the I cant believe they gave me multiple bonuses for the exact same (type of) card *club, membership is automatic upon approval for the second account of the exact same card, there are no dues and also no benefits (other than bragging rights ). Congratulations on your membership .

BREAK

I have a question.

When you mention cancelling a card past 13 months, do you mean cancelling the card after paying a new AF at around 12 months period? If so, you are paying the AF and cancelling the card pretty much right after. I hope my guess is wrong.

michaelmorio

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.