AMEX app denied - too many new accounts?

Old Apr 23, 21, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
AMEX app denied - too many new accounts?

I tried to find an "applying for amex card" thread like Chase forum has but didn't see anything.

I applied for the AMEX gold w/75k offer on 3/20/21. Was declined and when I called in was told too many new accounts and to apply again in 30 days and call in to provide more information to reconsideration team.

I applied today 4/23 and was declined. Reconsideration line told me too many new accounts again...

I applied and received a Chase WoH card in early March, and including that I am @4/24 as of early April. I didn't think AMEX had a real 5/24 rule anyway, but even then I should be reporting as 4/24 according to Experian.

I have not had any AMEX cards aside from an SPG biz and my work corp card for years. I had a AMEX blue from 2006 that I closed a couple years ago but otherwise no other AMEX cards.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 21, 2:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
... declined ...
To be clear, when you applied online did you see a Popup stating that you were ineligible for a bonus, or was the application fully processed, and you were declined for the card? If American Express declined the application they must tell you the reason in writing, and the credit bureau(s) they used. Have you checked your credit report at that agency to verify that there is no unauthorized activity or inaccurate information?
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 21, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by mia View Post
To be clear, when you applied online did you see a Popup stating that you were ineligible for a bonus, or was the application fully processed, and you were declined for the card? If American Express declined the application they must tell you the reason in writing, and the credit bureau(s) they used. Have you checked your credit report at that agency to verify that there is no unauthorized activity or inaccurate information?
I was declined for the card both times. The first letter I received said declined for "too many new bank cards".

When I called in last month they told me it was probably because of the recent Chase card, wait a month and try again. Apparently there is something else on the report that is making them think too many new cards, but AMEX is unable to tell me what.
Old Apr 23, 21, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I was declined for the card both times. The first letter I received said declined for "too many new bank cards".

When I called in last month they told me it was probably because of the recent Chase card, wait a month and try again. Apparently there is something else on the report that is making them think too many new cards, but AMEX is unable to tell me what.
Did you look at it?

It’s free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com
Old Apr 24, 21, 5:27 am

1) did you get the popup or no?

2) give us your stats. list all cards and acquisition dates. just saying youre 4/24 doesnt provide enough detail to help you. what exactly is on your CR? i assume you know all the amex app rules, but FYI, amex approves everyone and anyone who is still alive on this planet. if amex rejected you twice in a month they obviously see something.

here is an example from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...eb2x&context=3

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 24, 21 at 5:35 am
Old Apr 24, 21, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
1) did you get the popup or no?

2) give us your stats. list all cards and acquisition dates. just saying youre 4/24 doesnt provide enough detail to help you. what exactly is on your CR? i assume you know all the amex app rules, but FYI, amex approves everyone and anyone who is still alive on this planet. if amex rejected you twice in a month they obviously see something.

here is an example from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...eb2x&context=3
I did not get the popup showing I was not eligible for the bonus. I was declined both times and first letter showed "too many new bank card accounts".

Credit score 774
I currently have:
Chase Ink Cash
Chase WoH
Apple Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve

Cards I have opened:
3/21 Chase WoH
12/19 Chase MP Visa (closed)
8/19 Apple Card
5/19 Citi AA MC
4/19 Citi AA MC (4/7/19 to be exact)

I rode the Citi AA train pretty hard between 5/18 and 5/19, but those cards are all closed and off the 24 month radar. I guess those could be it, but I did not think Amex cared about that. I did churn two AMEX's (SPG and Hilton IIRC) in 2012/2013 timeframe and closed a old AMEX Blue card in 2019.
Old Apr 24, 21, 10:05 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I see 2 issues:

1. The quantity of new accounts in the last few years.

2. The frequency of new accounts in your history.

BTW, this history indicates CHURNER to the card issuers.
LETTERBOY, hhdl, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 21, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
Four cards in a two year period is hardly unusual or an indication of churning. I suspect many of the regulars here show similar on their reports.
hurnik, lsquare, AAdamE and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
I see 2 issues:

1. The quantity of new accounts in the last few years.

2. The frequency of new accounts in your history.

Chase had no issue approving my latest card as soon as I was under 5/24 so I assume my history doesn't scream CHURNER to all card issuers.

I'm just trying to find the silver bullet that is causing problems with AMEX specifically. The consensus is they don't have a hard and fast 5/24 rule like Chase, and if they are going back many years I'm surprised half the people on this forum get approved for AMEX cards. Like Kacee mentioned my history is probably fairly typical for much of the audience of this forum.
Old Apr 25, 21, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm just trying to find the silver bullet that is causing problems with AMEX specifically.
I don't think anyone here can tell you this without considerably more detail about your credit history, which I personally would not be willing to share on an internet forum. Even with that information, it may not be possible to figure out what AMEX's real concern is here. But by itself four new cards in two years should not result in a hard "no."
Old Apr 25, 21, 9:33 am

If they denied your application because you have too many accounts, that means you have too many accounts.
Old Apr 25, 21, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't think anyone here can tell you this without considerably more detail about your credit history, which I personally would not be willing to share on an internet forum. Even with that information, it may not be possible to figure out what AMEX's real concern is here. But by itself four new cards in two years should not result in a hard "no."
Yeah, this is all I care to post. Was hoping someone else had run into similar situation or had anecdotal knowledge that anything >2 years (aside from bankruptcy/late payments) didn't really matter.

I'll lay off for a few months and try again. If I wait until I'm at 2/24 and get denied again I'll know something else is up and see what I can do to dig deeper. Maybe I just don't need to do business with AMEX... Chase seems more than happy to provide credit and work with me. I'm sitting on a mountain of UR points and thought I'd try to diversify a bit.
Old Apr 25, 21, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama View Post
If they denied your application because you have too many accounts, that means you have too many accounts.
Thanks for your comment and the time you took out of your life to provide this insight.
strickerj, AAdamE and jtc246 like this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 11:42 am

Thanks for your comment and the time you took out of your life to provide this insight.
You are welcome and thank you for replying my post. I admire your persistence in pursuing Amex cards (and many other cards).
Gasolin, DJ_Iceman, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 21, 6:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
This happened to me. I was denied when I tried to apply for Hilton Biz card last month.

I was only 4/24 (3/6, 4/12).

The rejection letter cited one reason: "Too many new bankcards".

When I called for recon, the agent said if I try again in July I should be able to get it.

For now, I am just working on spending bonus on my existing cards.

Sorry you didn't get the card this time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: