Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum vs an Airline Club membership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
The AmEx lounge product is great, but lacks the coverage of whatever your main airline offers. Unless you are primarily a WN customer, makes sense to use the $200 travel credit to offset the cost of a lounge from your home airline.

Also n.b. An Alaska lounge membership for the next couple months makes way more sense than an Admirals Club membership.
Points Scrounger and mia like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:11 pm

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY A DAY PASS WHEN THE EXCREMENT HITS THE FAN! I actually have guilt as while I was being accommodated the Admirals club lady kicked out a military member who normally would get free entrance and I am ashamed I did not grab him and tell her he was with with me and to take care of him since he took care of our country.

Originally Posted by dhuey
That help desk inside the Admiral lounge proved to be extremely valuable for you, but couldn't the OP simply buy a day pass and get in for such rare occasions? Doesn't seem like it would happen often enough to swing the decision on which card to get.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Centurion
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY A DAY PASS WHEN THE EXCREMENT HITS THE FAN! I actually have guilt as while I was being accommodated the Admirals club lady kicked out a military member who normally would get free entrance and I am ashamed I did not grab him and tell her he was with with me and to take care of him since he took care of our country.
Seems like a pretty niche set of conditions when this would happen (flying AA, IROPS, clogged phone-lines, lounge not accepting day passes, etc.) If you are flying enough that you expect these sets of circumstances to occur, you should probably have status with the airline and have special IROPS considerations that way?

I would probably side with the AMEX Platinum for the greater lounge access plus still having Delta lounge access. The AMEX centurion lounges are so much better than any standard domestic lounge...
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
The problem is that, for the year before the pandemic anyways, the few times I did use the AA concierge s4ervices, there was not much more they could do to help anyways. Airlines so overbook their flights that there just was not anything that could be done. How things are going to be post pandemic, we will have to see.

I probably won't be back to full schedule flying for a few months anyways, until things get better (I am higher risk). So I may wait and see how things shape up - which airlines it turns out I fly; what the new fee and rules are with the upcoming AMEX Plat changes; what the new lounge access rules are, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
And the Plat can also help in a pinch when there are IPROPS. I was flying on Delta and connecting in Atlanta when a big storm that came in literally minutes after we landed and knocked out most of the departing flights. It was chaos and line-ups for Delta customer service were huge. I used my Plat to get into the Delta lounge and was looked after right away. No line up.

Last edited by allbrosca; Apr 24, 2021 at 12:33 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
.... I did use the AA concierge services,...
I'm not sure what you mean by "concierge" in this context, but Centurion is referring to the airline employees who work in the airline operated clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.