Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reasonably priced Amex FHR properties < $350/night...

Old Apr 10, 21, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

In light of a possible change to Amex Plat card, which would get rid of the airline fee credit and add a $200 prepaid hotel credit, any suggestions on reasonably priced properties?

Of course, reasonable is relative to your income / expectation level, but many properties I saw just now on FHR were $500, $1000+/night. Way out of my price range. Even $350 is a lot, but $200 credit can bring that down to a more reasonable level.

Some that were < $400, < $350

Wynn Las Vegas
Belmond Hotel in Foz Iguacu
Sofitel Legend - Cartagena, Colombia
Las Islas - Cartagena, Colombia
Grand Mark hotel in Prague
Conrad Punta de Mita, Mexico

That's what caught my attention just now. Any others people recommend?
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:46 am

In Vegas, it's the Delano, Wynn, and sometimes the Palazzo. The American Club in Wisconsin is also within that budget.
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If youíre planning to travel abroad next year, quite a few great places in Southeast Asia for less than $200 a night in places like KUL, DPS, HKT etc. India too has great prices especially in Mumbai
Old Apr 10, 21, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the credit only applies to *prepaid* FHR rates, be careful as these generally don't earn any points and elite/promo nights credits in most major hotel programs while the normal FHR rates (typically with 48 hours cancel terms and no deposit, just a credit card to hold the reservation) do earn. Of course, if you're staying in an independent hotel, this wouldn't matter.
Old Apr 10, 21, 12:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If the credit only applies to *prepaid* FHR rates, be careful as these generally don't earn any points and elite/promo nights credits in most major hotel programs while the normal FHR rates (typically with 48 hours cancel terms and no deposit, just a credit card to hold the reservation) do earn. Of course, if you're staying in an independent hotel, this wouldn't matter.
This is incorrect, at least for Marriott and Hilton. I have never stayed at a Hyatt FHR but reports in the Vegas thread suggest you can also credit and receive elite benefits for Hyatt too.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
This is incorrect, at least for Marriott and Hilton. I have never stayed at a Hyatt FHR but reports in the Vegas thread suggest you can also credit and receive elite benefits for Hyatt too.
It's correct to some degree with at least Hyatt when the FHR bookings are done online and come across as Expedia bookings of some sort or another. I would be very surprised if it's never been an issue at times with Hilton hotels booked via FHR online.
Old Apr 10, 21, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I never used FHR before. Is there an easy way to tell if it's a prepaid FHR rate and a normal FHR rate?
Old Apr 10, 21, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
If youíre planning to travel abroad next year, quite a few great places in Southeast Asia for less than $200 a night in places like KUL, DPS, HKT etc. India too has great prices especially in Mumbai
Generally ruled out Asia these days. Too paranoid for my taste. I could go to Indonesia again, some remote places....I'll take a look at FHR in Indonesia. Off to Turkey soon...assuming it stays open.

Wondering now if this credit can be used on non-FHR properties. Is it any pre-paid hotel on Amex Travel? Guess we'll find out.
HannsenBos3 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I hope that others will add to the list. This could be a very useful thread.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EqualOpp View Post
Generally ruled out Asia these days. Too paranoid for my taste. I could go to Indonesia again, some remote places....I'll take a look at FHR in Indonesia. Off to Turkey soon...assuming it stays open.

Wondering now if this credit can be used on non-FHR properties. Is it any pre-paid hotel on Amex Travel? Guess we'll find out.
This change wonít happen until 2023. If borders arenít open until then we have more to worry about than an increasing annual fee.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
I hope that others will add to the list. This could be a very useful thread.
Maybe make this thread a sticky.
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:33 pm

This change wonít happen until 2023. If borders arenít open until then we have more to worry about than an increasing annual fee.
I expect most of the first world countries to open their borders by 2022. I know vaccination rates have been a bit on the slowside outside the US, but I'm hopeful for the future.
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:59 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Look at Canada. The Loews Montreal was almost free last time we were there and the it's a nice hotel.
Old Apr 10, 21, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bellagio and Nomad in Las Vegas both often have good rates
Old Apr 10, 21, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Many Trump hotels currently have low rates, free night promos.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: