Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting minimum spend for Amex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Meeting minimum spend for Amex

I know that Amex does not allow spending on cash equivalents for meeting minimum spend for sign up bonuses. What about the following:

—Branded gift cards (I.e. GCs for Walmart, purchased at Walmart)
—Plastic payments for tuition (or other Plastiq payments allowed with Amex)
—PayPal payments for purchases or services (I.e. car insurance that has PayPal payment option)
—Taxes (I assume this one is yes)

Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I know that Amex does not allow spending on cash equivalents for meeting minimum spend for sign up bonuses. What about the following:

—PayPal payments for purchases or services (I.e. car insurance that has PayPal payment option)

Any other suggestions?
Yes if merchant provides L2, no if providing L3 data.
Yes
Yes
Yes
355F1 and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:01 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Absolutely they allow taxes!!! That is a huge swipe fee for them!!!!

I pay my taxes every year by CC for SUBS.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any other suggestions?
Paypal and taxes are safe. I won't do the bonus spending on any GCs and Plastiq payments. They may be ok to earn spending awards, but AmEx RATS team could take the bonus back.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
Pre-pay utilites? My gas and electric company charges $1.50 to use charge card but you can make as large a payment as you want for that fee. I pre-pay several months in advance. OTOH My water company won't take a credit card.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I've never prepaid utility bills. Maybe I can try next time. Sometimes I forget to pay the bills and combine two bills at same time. There is no interest charge and I pay just one fee instead of two fees. I use the USBank Cash+ card though and it earns 5% cash on utilities as its main category.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It would be nice if Amex would display your SUB progress. If done manually by you, you and Amex may disagree, and you wouldn't know until it's too late, such as looking at the statement of your third billing cycle.
Stgermainparis and bryanb like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mary mary
Pre-pay utilites? My gas and electric company charges $1.50 to use charge card but you can make as large a payment as you want for that fee. I pre-pay several months in advance. OTOH My water company won't take a credit card.
Originally Posted by RedSun
I've never prepaid utility bills. Maybe I can try next time. Sometimes I forget to pay the bills and combine two bills at same time. There is no interest charge and I pay just one fee instead of two fees. I use the USBank Cash+ card though and it earns 5% cash on utilities as its main category.
Yeah, our utility company only takes visa/MC. No Amex. HUGE bummer. I can prepay internet service, but it's not very much.
RedSun likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:55 pm

Most cell phone companies also accept a prepayment, so you could pay your cell bill several months in advance.
Also, assuming you spend with Amazon.com, you can do balance reload and put funds directly on your account.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Most cell phone companies also accept a prepayment, so you could pay your cell bill several months in advance.
Also, assuming you spend with Amazon.com, you can do balance reload and put funds directly on your account.
I love Amazon reload. So that does not count as cash equivalent.

I need to check to see if Amex gold biz has cell insurance (I don’t think it does). But in a pinch I could do that. Bill is around $200/month.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:39 pm

I love Amazon reload. So that does not count as cash equivalent.

I need to check to see if Amex gold biz has cell insurance (I don’t think it does). But in a pinch I could do that. Bill is around $200/month.
I recently applied for the Morgan Stanley Platinum and had to meet a $5000.00 minimum spend to get 60,000 MR points. I probably put around $400.00 on Amazon reload and got the signup bonus without a hitch, so Amex doesn't treat as a cash equivalent. I say that because I've read similar stories of people purchasing cash equivalents and not having it count toward the minimum spend requirement. Good Luck.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Prepaid utilities works. I made a $2000 prepayment with an AMEX with a $3.95 fee at PSE&G.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
Prepaid utilities works. I made a $2000 prepayment with an AMEX with a $3.95 fee at PSE&G.
Yeah. It would be great if our utility company took Amex but they only take visa/MC.
Old May 14, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Any documented clawbacks purchasing GCs with this offer?

I didn’t see language in the terms that bars gift card purchases from meeting minimum spend, or suggests clawbacks (unlike some earlier offers). Has anyone actually experienced a clawback after purchasing merchant (not Visa, MC) gift cards at grocery stores? In my case, I’m buying GCs to that actual locally-owned grocery chain.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Yeah. It would be great if our utility company took Amex but they only take visa/MC.
Does your utility take PayPal?

If it does, why not pay your bill through PP and fund the PP bill with your Amex card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.