Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Additional User on Amex Plat - Gold card but Plat Benefits

Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone ever added an authorized user on their Platinum card with the no fee gold card option but had them receive all the benefits of the Platinum Card?

I added my wife back in December as an authorized user thinking I'd upgrade her when her work travel picks back up. She received a physical gold card and I never paid a fee. Today I sent a chat to Amex asking to upgrade her card and they replied back that she's always had a Platinum card. I went looked up a couple airfare charges she made last month and they earned 5x points like she has a Platinum Card.

TLR - Wife has gold card and I haven't paid a fee. Amex thinks she has a platinum and she gets all the platinum benefits.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Has anyone ever added an authorized user on their Platinum card with the no fee gold card option but had them receive all the benefits of the Platinum Card?

I added my wife back in December as an authorized user thinking I'd upgrade her when her work travel picks back up. She received a physical gold card and I never paid a fee. Today I sent a chat to Amex asking to upgrade her card and they replied back that she's always had a Platinum card. I went looked up a couple airfare charges she made last month and they earned 5x points like she has a Platinum Card.
Amex chat reps are often idiots, and the AU Gold cards earn at the same rate as the parent card, so her airfare charges should be earning 5x.

I mean it's not a Gold card in the sense that Amex markets them, it's just a free Plat AU card.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
....I went looked up a couple airfare charges she made last month and they earned 5x points.
Call again. The 5X on airfare would be normal for any card on a Platinum account. To test if she is receiving the Platinum benefits try to use the Gold card to enroll in Hilton or Marriott Gold status, and request a Priority Pass membership for her.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Call again. The 5X on airfare would be normal for any card on a Platinum account. To test if she is receiving the Platinum benefits try to use the Gold card to enroll in Hilton or Marriott Gold status, and request a Priority Pass membership for her.
Thats a good test. Ill try that.

She logged onto her account and its showing as Platinum. I went into the authorized user area and it shows Platinum next to her name so Im not sure whats going on.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:13 am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-g...-au-gold-card/

I really wish they had a better naming convention for the Platinum Gold AU... TPG has an article explaining all of this already.

Platinum Gold AU's earn 5x on Airfare/Hotels and receive a Global Entry Credit but they do not get their own Uber credits or Saks credits nor do they get lounge access or any hotel status.

Edit: Because it may be unclear, I also want to point out that your wife's Platinum Gold AU card receives none of the benefits of the Amex Gold Card (such as 4x MR on Restaurant/Grocery or the dining/uber credits)

Last edited by imnotalawyer; Mar 30, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Send her to a Centurion Lounge and see if she gets in with her card.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:57 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer

I really wish they had a better naming convention for the Platinum Gold AU...
Agreed, American Express is surprisingly poor at branding, going all the way back to the 1960's when they apparently did not realize that naming their upscale card "Gold" would make it dead simple to imitate. However, in this example the problem is that sethMCOflyer requested and received a Gold AU card, but American Express's system is showing Platinum.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Send her to a Centurion Lounge and see if she gets in with her card.
I'd say Platinum on her account reflects the underlying account, rather than her specific benefits available.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I requested a new card and under her name it was labeled as a Platinum, today a gold card came. It’s just super weird that everything on the website indicates that she has a gold card along with the support person I talked to. I’ll see if she can receive Marriott or Hilton status.

The AU Gold card used to earn 1x point for everything, earning at the same rate as the Platinum card seems to be a new thing for this year. Good to know.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Checking in to see if you’d discovered anything further. My son had an AU plat on my account but I downgraded them all to gold during Covid. The other day, a new priority pass card arrived for him in the mail, suggesting that they think he still has plat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.