Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Which Amex card to close, can you have two Hilton Cards?

Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US

I have four Amex credit cards (Hilton Surpass, Blue Cash, Delta, Everyday). I would like to close the Blue Cash, so I can get the no annual fee Hilton card, which I never before got a bonus before. I heard max you can only have 4 credit cards with Amex. The problem is this Blue Cash card is the oldest card with Amex and amongst all my credit cards that are currently open. Blue Cash is 22 years old (it was a Cash Rebate originally); next oldest card is Chase Freedom at 8 years old.

Questions:
- Can I still get the no fee Hilton card while having the Hilton Surpass card open?
- Should I try to keep this Blue Cash open due to its age?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a no fee and opened an Aspire, so I think the two-Hilton answer is yes.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:18 am

You could use a credit score simulator such as https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/f...core-simulator - I would keep the oldest card.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:06 am

I have two hilton cards. I wouldn't give up a 22 year card (but I admit I find it hard to give up cards).
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
I had a no fee and opened an Aspire, so I think the two-Hilton answer is yes.
You can have all 4 Hilton cards open at once if you want to. I don't know why anybody would want to, but you can!

As for the OP, longest account is only a portion of your credit score, and even if you close it it will stay on your credit profile for the next 7 or 10 years (I don't remember) just in closed status, so I don't think it's as important as you may think it is.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:52 pm

One can have up to 4 AmEx credit cards -- any combo at all, they need not be all different.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I would just close the BCE if you don't feel it works for you anymore. Any card you close is still going to be on your report for another 10 years, at that point the CF is 18 years old. It is my understanding there really isn't much of a score boost as long as the oldest card is over 5 years and the average is over 2 years.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
My Amex cards all show "Cardmember since" my first Amex card, which I haven't had for decades.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
My Amex cards all show "Cardmember since" my first Amex card, which I haven't had for decades.
Same here, but on my credit reports, these accounts show the actual date opened, not this year that appears on the cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.