FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express retention offers (2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2035091-american-express-retention-offers-2021-a.html)

glu800 Jan 2, 2021 2:43 pm

American Express retention offers (2021)

Was offered 7.5k MR points with no spend on 12/15 to keep my Green Card another year. This was my first renewal. Took the offer. Pretty minimal spend per month outside of the initial bonus spend ($100-$200) to take advantage of all the AMEX offers and credits this year.

Called in today for my Hilton Aspire and received a 10k Hilton points offer with no spend to keep that card for another year. Second renewal - did not call in last year for retention. Also took the offer. Almost no spend this year outside of the airline fee credit and restaurant credits offered during summer.

kt729 Jan 4, 2021 4:56 am

Amex Platinum $500 Retention

Amex Platinum. Been a card holder for 10+ years and have never claimed a retention offer before. My annual fee comes due later in January. Only spend from this past year includes minimum streaming spend and Saks spend to trigger credits. Not much else.

Called the number on the back of my card after the new year. Indicated I was thinking about cancelling. They transferred me to the cancellation/downgrade desk. After about 10 minutes of discussion, I was offered a $500 statement credit with no spending requirement. Seems like this is similar to what a few others have already posted but wanted to share as another data point.

Kyle5575 Jan 4, 2021 8:30 am

Amex Platinum asked at time of renewal and was denied due to getting 30k points last year at renewal. Waited till now which takes me 13 months out of renewal and was offered 50k after asking chat for any offers available.

SudOvest Jan 4, 2021 11:21 am

DP: Chatted in on my personal platinum I signed up for in August with 100k offer. I was immediately offered 50k MR points when I threatened to cancel. The only stipulation was I had to keep the card open for 12 months. AWESOME deal.

SudOvest Jan 4, 2021 11:21 am

Originally Posted by kt729 (Post 32936335)
Amex Platinum. Been a card holder for 10+ years and have never claimed a retention offer before. My annual fee comes due later in January. Only spend from this past year includes minimum streaming spend and Saks spend to trigger credits. Not much else.

Called the number on the back of my card after the new year. Indicated I was thinking about cancelling. They transferred me to the cancellation/downgrade desk. After about 10 minutes of discussion, I was offered a $500 statement credit with no spending requirement. Seems like this is similar to what a few others have already posted but wanted to share as another data point.

oh no! I took the 50k MR points a few minutes ago before seeing this. Was that a better value?

crapz1 Jan 4, 2021 12:25 pm

Hilton Aspire: Got in on the no AF application last year. 2 calls shortly after AF posted and no offers. Just did a chat 28 days after AF posted intending to downgrade but after finding out that AF is prorated on a downgrade, I said I wanted to cancel. Was transferred to another rep that ended up offering 20 HH points so I accepted.

HonoraryOrange Jan 4, 2021 12:46 pm

I chatted yesterday and got a 50k Retention offer on personal Plat (long time customer, decent utilization). Don't see them in my account yet - how long does it take to post for most of these?

krazykanuck Jan 4, 2021 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by googs185 (Post 32937302)
oh no! I took the 50k MR points a few minutes ago before seeing this. Was that a better value?

YMMV - I think most of us would say the points are a better value, but some disagree.

Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange (Post 32937640)
I chatted yesterday and got a 50k Retention offer on personal Plat (long time customer, decent utilization). Don't see them in my account yet - how long does it take to post for most of these?

You mean to say that you chatted on weekend and are surprised you don't see them yet on Monday afternoon? :D They should show up within a couple days. My 50k took about 48 hours to appear.

DC9 Jan 4, 2021 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange (Post 32937640)

Maybe tomorrow. Patience Grasshopper.

HonoraryOrange Jan 4, 2021 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 32937839)
YMMV - I think most of us would say the points are a better value, but some disagree.

You mean to say that you chatted on weekend and are surprised you don't see them yet on Monday afternoon? :D They should show up within a couple days. My 50k took about 48 hours to appear.

Originally Posted by DC9 (Post 32937895)
Maybe tomorrow. Patience Grasshopper.

Hah yeah I know - I swear last time I did it (did the same for my Delta Reserve last year) that it showed up like instantly. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything :)

Thanks!

Edited to add: They showed up! 50k points is so much better than the $500 or even annual fee for me since I usually redeem for international first class flights, so the dollar value will be great. Time for my next suite flight! As soon as COVID settles down...

LifetimeUpgrade Jan 4, 2021 6:17 pm

Amex Platinum - long time amex customer, Plat cardholder for a few years with minimal spend on the card. Contacted via chat and was offered 50k points to keep open for 12 months. No spend minimum. Took the offer.

gtran26 Jan 4, 2021 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by googs185 (Post 32937300)
DP: Chatted in on my personal platinum I signed up for in August with 100k offer. I was immediately offered 50k MR points when I threatened to cancel. The only stipulation was I had to keep the card open for 12 months. AWESOME deal.

Lots of folks are getting 50k MR retention, I need to get in on the action lol! I opened MS Plat early Dec. 2020 & still meeting MSR for the welcome bonus. How should I word the threat to the chat rep? Something like I'm considering canceling due to already having a Biz Plat please check for any retention offers...... Or should I get my welcome bonus first before asking retention? Thanks!

mia Jan 5, 2021 7:07 am

Originally Posted by gtran26 (Post 32939011)
....I'm considering canceling ....

Review the terms of the offer that you accepted. If you were to close the account in the first 365 days you would forfeit the new account bonus.

if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards points from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.

gtran26 Jan 5, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32939872)
Review the terms of the offer that you accepted. If you were to close the account in the first 365 days you would forfeit the new account bonus.

Thanks I would never cancel 1st year just going to attempt to see if I can get 50k MR retention but it's probably too early only 1 statement has posted on this new card. Will wait a few months and try :)

Stgermainparis Jan 5, 2021 4:28 pm

Are you all asking for “retention offers” or saying “thinking of canceling”on the chat?