Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA Cell Phone Protection (Cent, Plat, Bus Gold; Reserve, Aspire, Brilliant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
TERMS: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/cell-phone-protection.html
Print Wikipost

Amex USA Cell Phone Protection (Cent, Plat, Bus Gold; Reserve, Aspire, Brilliant)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:08 pm

It seems that according to
Replacement Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone(s) purchased from anyone other than a cellular service provider’s retail or
internet store that has the ability to initiate activation with the cellular service provider
If I buy an unlocked Galaxy from Samsung, the phone will NOT be covered. If I buy a carrier locked Galaxy directly from Samsung, the phone will still not be covered because Samsung.com isn't the cellular service provider's internet store.

Therefore I must buy the phone directly from the carrier or the carrier's internet store to get insurance coverage.

*EDIT* I called AIG at 833-784-1467 to ask them this question, and the rep that I spoke to said that buying directly from Samsung.com would qualify as an "internet store" and adding an unlocked phone to my cell phone plan would qualify for coverage. It seems that unlocked phones aren't explicitly excluded since the internet store need only have the *ability* to initiate activation. My conclusion is that buying an unlocked phone from Samsung.com, an internet store that has the ability to initiate activation with the cellular service provider, is still covered under the Amex protection plan because there is no requirement that the unlocked phone be activated at the time of purchase.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Feb 9, 2022 at 12:55 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So if I lose my phone (left at the airport?) and need to get replacement asap, how does this work?

In other words, I need a new iPhone TOMORROW and will put the claim in tomorrow. Will they reimburse me for up to $800 on an iPhone 13?

My iPhone 12 isn’t even paid off yet.

Do they track the SIM?
Old May 18, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by chix
So if I lose my phone (left at the airport?) and need to get replacement asap, how does this work?
I don't think the insurance would apply in this case. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rotection.html

Reimbursement for the actual cost to repair or replace a Stolen or damaged Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone, including a Cracked Screen.

Stolen means an Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone that is taken by force and/or under duress or a loss which involves the disappearance of an Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone from a known place under circumstances that would indicate the probability of theft and for which a police report was filed within forty-eight hours of the theft.

What is NOT covered: The following items are excluded from coverage under the Group Policy:
• Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones that are lost or Mysterious Disappearance;

Mysterious Disappearance means the vanishing of an item in an unexplained manner where there is absence of evidence of a wrongful act by a person or persons.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
I don't think the insurance would apply in this case. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rotection.html
Mysterious disappearance equals lost!
Old May 18, 2022, 10:21 am

Mysterious disappearance equals lost!
Exactly, and that's in the "What's NOT covered" section.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:34 pm

In other words, I need a new iPhone TOMORROW and will put the claim in tomorrow. Will they reimburse me for up to $800 on an iPhone 13?

My iPhone 12 isn’t even paid off yet.

Do they track the SIM?
Pretty sure your phone was swiped off your table while grabbing a bite at the airport
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So glass back of my kid's iphone 12 cracked. It does not affect functionality, but is significant. I take it this would be not covered? Does anyone know a cc with cell protection that WOULD cover that?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
....does not affect functionality....
I would file a claim and let them tell you. Is the crack purely visual, or can you feel it when you hold the phone?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
I would file a claim and let them tell you. Is the crack purely visual, or can you feel it when you hold the phone?
If we take the cover off, then yes definitely can feel it. I suppose there is risk of cutting oneself. Not sure how it cracked/ broke so badly with a case! I’ll make an appt at Apple Genius Bar for an estimate and file the claim. I guess they can just say no. I’ve got so many premium cards that offer cell phone protection but doubt any cover cosmetic. A few years ago, mine had a pixel burned out that was spreading like a big fingerprint. Wasn’t covered bc not “damaged”(I guess by some external force?). Also had one that wouldn’t do wifi anymore but would do data/sim. Also not covered. Ridiculous.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Any experience with prepaid plans? There is currently a deal for a 12 month prepaid plan from AT&T for like $300 that I am thinking would be great for my kid. If I charge the entire amount of the prepaid bill to my Amex Plat, is the phone covered?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Any experience with prepaid plans? There is currently a deal for a 12 month prepaid plan from AT&T for like $300 that I am thinking would be great for my kid. If I charge the entire amount of the prepaid bill to my Amex Plat, is the phone covered?
Most likely not:
Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones means the cellular telephones associated with the primary line and additional or supplemental lines on the Eligible Person’s monthly billing statement from a cellular provider for the billing cycle preceding the month in which the theft or damage occurred
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
For anyone who has filed a claim, any experience with the Amex card being in one person's name but the cellular account being in the spouse's name (even though it has two lines, and one line shows the cardholders' name for caller id?).

I may have need to take advantage of the Amex coverage. We pay the monthly bill with my wife's Platinum. But AT&T account with the phones is my name. Wondering if I should have been paying with my Delta Amex Reserve which has same coverage? I am not an authorized user on her Plat; she is an authorized user on my Amex Everyday Preferred but not the Delta Reserve.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dbuckho
.... Amex card being in one person's name but the cellular account being in the spouse's name
See FAQ 5 here: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...Qs_3.01.22.pdf
levilevi and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just read the entire thread and wasn't clear how people met this documentation requirement for a phone on an AT&T installment plan. AFAIK, the bill don't list IMEI/serial# associated with the line. It just shows the model of the phone and payments left or is that sufficient enough?
A copy of the original Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone purchase receipt or other sufficient proof of the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone model currently linked to the Eligible Person’s Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone account;
There are reports on the net that certain 3rd party coverage requires some proof linking the phone# from the bill to an actual IMEI of the damaged device.

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:08 am

Can anyone report on communication of claim status? I called in about a week ago to file claim. Received email that day with instructions. Followed instructions and sent documentation of phone damage and replacement from Apple the next day. Haven’t had any communication since. Not even acknowledgement of receipt. I can call Monday but it was a long wait time. Is there anywhere online to check for these phone claims like the extended warranty claims?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.