Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA Cell Phone Protection (Cent, Plat, Bus Gold; Reserve, Aspire, Brilliant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
TERMS: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/cell-phone-protection.html
Print Wikipost

Amex USA Cell Phone Protection (Cent, Plat, Bus Gold; Reserve, Aspire, Brilliant)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This may turn out to be yet another Amex benefit for which I won't find any good use for myself, but I am still hoping to see if I can get any value out of it.

Originally Posted by downinit
If you can't clearly see the screen, you cannot use the phone. If it is denied as 'cosmetic damage,' just add a few more cracks.
If I were to put a phone plan on an applicable Amex card for this coverage and had a phone with a cracked screen whose crack i could feel with my nail scratch, I would push back on any claim that such damage is merely "cosmetic damage".

When the cracked screen damage on a device can cause a wound -- no matter how minor the wound -- I would argue that it's not cosmetic damage at that point. Even the smallest of cracked screens on phones can cause injuries, as the glass cracks can lead to the shedding of very tiny shards of glass during phone use. And those tiny shards of glass may lead to wounds that are annoying even if not all that easily noticeable at quick glance from an unaided eye.

Originally Posted by jimmielin
Would this work for pre-paid plans? I've heard that pre-paid plans don't work but never seen any first hand experiences.
Would it depend on the type of prepaid plan?

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 2, 2021 at 6:23 am
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Debating whether or not to switch my billing from direct debit from my checking to the Platinum. I currently get a $10/ month discount by direct debit so I'd be paying an extra $120/ year for the benefit of having protection plus a $50 deductible so say $170/ yr. Not sure if it is worth it to me as I've never cracked a phone or damaged one in any way that affected the usability. Might have to pass but I definitely see the appeal to those who have had bad experiences.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013
Debating whether or not to switch my billing from direct debit from my checking to the Platinum. I currently get a $10/ month discount by direct debit so I'd be paying an extra $120/ year for the benefit of having protection plus a $50 deductible so say $170/ yr. Not sure if it is worth it to me as I've never cracked a phone or damaged one in any way that affected the usability. Might have to pass but I definitely see the appeal to those who have had bad experiences.
If I was in your position, I wouldn't do it unless your phone is brand new and you are guaranteed to hit the top of that $800 limit. Phones depreciate quickly. You can always go to sites like www.swappa.com to get a ballpark estimate of what your current phone is worth.

You are guaranteed to lose $120.00 a year on the chance that your phone may break. I don't know what kind of phone you have, but you could take that $120 per year and use it to self-insure.

Regardless, everyone is different. Good luck!!
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
If I was in your position, I wouldn't do it unless your phone is brand new and you are guaranteed to hit the top of that $800 limit. Phones depreciate quickly. You can always go to sites like www.swappa.com to get a ballpark estimate of what your current phone is worth.

You are guaranteed to lose $120.00 a year on the chance that your phone may break. I don't know what kind of phone you have, but you could take that $120 per year and use it to self-insure.

Regardless, everyone is different. Good luck!!
I have the iPhone 12 so I probably would him the limit. But I agree, I feel the likelihood of me breaking my phone isn't great. I doubt I will change my billing method as it'll cost me more than what I value it at.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
It appears that the devil will be in the details and actual practice. I am trying to decide which is better coverage in practice, and am especially concerned about cracked screens: Citi Prestige (Max per claim $1,000) or the Platinum Card (Max per claim $800).

The Citi Prestige terms say:
"Cosmetic damage to the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone or damage that does not impact the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone’s ability to make or receive phone calls (including minor screen cracks and fractures less than 2 inches in length that do not prevent the ability to make or receive phone calls or to use other features related to making or receiving phone calls)." This clearly does not cover small cracks.

The key for Amex will be how it interprets the exclusions, which include:
"Cosmetic damage (i.e. superficial abrasions or scuffs) to the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone or damage that does not impact the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone’s ability to make or receive phone calls;...."

Small cracks are definitely excluded from Citi, but Amex does not (so far as I know) give further information as to "damage that does not impact the Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone’s ability to make or receive phone calls".
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is tempting but the deductible is only $25 with my no-AF Wells Fargo card. However the Wells card only earns 1% cash back and I value the Amex points at 2%+ The Amex claims experience is definitely superior.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Boraxo; Apr 5, 2021 at 9:49 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:52 pm

Cell phone insurance coverage

browsing some of my cards and saw this new benefit:
Cell Phone Protection1
Effective April 1, 2021, you can be reimbursed for your costs to repair or replace your damaged or Stolen cell phone up to $800, subject to a $50 deductible, for 2 approved claims per 12-month period when your prior month's wireless bill was paid utilizing an Eligible Card Account. Terms and conditions apply.‡

https://global.americanexpress.com/c...one-protection
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Amex USA (Centurion, Platinum, DL Reserve) Cell Phone Protection benefit added 4/1/21 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Suggest checking (other) AmEx offers. Some of the cards offering Cell Phone Protection are also offering a monthly credit for cell phone charges:

“Spend $15+ on monthly U.S. wireless telephone services, earn $15 back each month
Earn up to $165 in statement credits through 12/31/21”
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by dhuey
Amex is getting some free advertising over this.

American Express adding cell phone protection to its premium cards
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/cnn-u...redHPcontainer

Funny how this would not make the top 10 list of Amex Plat benefits for me, but I guess the idea of free coverage for cell phone theft/damage captures the public imagination.
​​​​​​
I get why you'd feel that way and was poised to agree. I didn't even realize this was a perk until now. But I looked it up and a SquareTrade warranty is now $20/mo for a family plan and $75 deductible... The last ST plan I bought was a flat $99 for two years and a $50 deductible. So based on the research, it is a perk with some value

Meanwhile I was just about to move my cell plan from my platinum (put there for the 2020 credit) back to my other card, but now I'll stick it out. Just in case
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Gig103
​​​​​​So based on the research, it is a perk with some value
I'll get it that, but compare it to the $50 x 2 free money offers from Best Buy and Home Depot. That's $200 just sitting there, and it gets barely any attention. Something about free insurance for cell phone damage/theft captures the imagination.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:35 am

I have two phones with Google Fi. When AMEX Plat had the promotion giving rebates on wireless charges, the Google Fi bill did not trigger the rebate. I called and was told that Google is not categorized as wireless service. So does this mean that the cell protection would not apply? If it did, I would happily make the switch from Ink to one of the Amex cards but if not, may as well take the 5 points per dollar that post with Chase.
Any insights appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
How do you guys get around the $10 autopay discount removal if u pay by cc at verizon. I would be paying $50 extra if i used my platinum business card
Old May 7, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm about to buy my wife an unlocked iPhone and then I'll take the AT&T SIM card out of her current phone and put it in the new phone.

Her phone line is on my account. If I use my AMEX Platinum to pay the bill, and her phone is lost or damaged, is it covered?

Asked another way, how does AMEX know that the phone that gets lost or stolen is the one on the phone plan that you're paying with the AMEX?

Do I need to call AT&T and "register" unlocked phones with them when I start using the AT&T SIM cards in the phones?
Old May 8, 2021, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm about to buy my wife an unlocked iPhone and then I'll take the AT&T SIM card out of her current phone and put it in the new phone.

Her phone line is on my account. If I use my AMEX Platinum to pay the bill, and her phone is lost or damaged, is it covered?
It seems like this line under Section D What is NOT covered is going to be a problem here:

Replacement Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephone(s) purchased from anyone other than a cellular service provider’s retail or internet store that has the ability to initiate activation with the cellular service provider;
It's to keep people from doing things like signing up for the cheapest single line plan and phone they can find, and then buying broken flagship phones, popping in the SIM, making claims and reselling the now-functional phone.

Only covering carrier-activated devices seems to be one of their key fraud mitigation tactics with this coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.