Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Jail - application frequency

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I just received the dreaded popup after using a referral link to apply for the Amex Gold personal card...
Based on my experiences, referrals are a negative factor in both approvals and SUB availability. Several times after a popup or rejection I repeated an app (after some waiting period), and it sailed through. So I strongly suspect that this bank is quite thrifty in paying out referrals.
Of course closing accounts is known negative factor as well.
Boraxo and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Based on my experiences, referrals are a negative factor in both approvals and SUB availability. Several times after a popup or rejection I repeated an app (after some waiting period), and it sailed through. So I strongly suspect that this bank is quite thrifty in paying out referrals.
Of course closing accounts is known negative factor as well.
Thanks for posting this.... if Im reading correctly, one may first try to use a referral link to apply and get the pop-up, and then try using a standard AmEx link without a specific referral and get approved.... am I reading this correctly...? Furthermore, would it be smart(er) to perhaps try the non referral application from a different computer/browser etc. so as to additionally increase approval chances...?

Thank you !!
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 31, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for posting this.... if Im reading correctly, one may first try to use a referral link to apply and get the pop-up, and then try using a standard AmEx link without a specific referral and get approved.... am I reading this correctly...? Furthermore, would it be smart(er) to perhaps try the non referral application from a different computer/browser etc. so as to additionally increase approval chances...?
If you're interested in a new account, run a comparison shortly before the app. Referred links can be either higher or lower than non-referred links, and they can change unpredictably. Once you decided which is the most attractive option, it does makes sense to try it first.

Last edited by MaxVO; Oct 31, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:29 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Run a comparison...? Sorry, could you elaborate...? Im not sure Im following...

Thanks !

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you're interested in a new account, run a comparison shortly before the app. Referred links can be either higher or lower than non-referred links, and they can change unpredictably. Once you decided which is the most attractive option, it does makes sense to try it first.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Run a comparison...? Sorry, could you elaborate...?
CC application links can potentially from these sources: referred links originating from different cards belonging to friends or family, anonymous links from the bank's website, targeted links specifically for you (available when you're signed in). All of them may have different offers.
Gaucho100K and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.