Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Personal Amex Platinum for corporate airfare via BCD Travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I will soon be able to use a personal credit card to book upcoming work-related flights, as long as I use the company’s designated travel management company (BCD Travel at the moment).

I’m looking to pick up the personal Amex Platinum to use for these flights, but I am concerned that booking via the travel management company may not trigger the 5x on airfare if Amex doesn’t deem these purchased directly from the airline.

Does anyone have advice or recent DPs on using this or other types of corporate travel management companies and how flights purchased this way code for Amex? I found an older post confirming DL flights at least coded properly through a corporate agency but wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this

I would prefer to be earning MRs for these flights, but if they don’t code properly I couldn’t justify the Platinum card personally beyond the SUB. I’m aware of all the current bennies but I’m specifically looking to capitalize on the airfare spend. Alternatives I’m considering would be the Citi Prestige at 5x TYPs or potentially P2’s CSR at 3x URs as I believe these will code no matter how I book.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. Most travel agencies do pass airfare purchases through to the airline for billing. You simply need to know if BCD Travel does this for your employer's account. Is the ability to pay with a personal card a policy change, or have others already been able to do this? Have you asked BCD how tickets are billed?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I believe others were able to use personal cards previously (years ago) but they were not required to book via an agency. Then we switched to corporate cards for a while, but now they are allowing the option to use personal cards if we desire. I did reach out to BCD and the rep I spoke to believed the airfare charges would list as whichever airline I am flying, with perhaps a footnote referencing the agency. My impression is that this would not constitute an OTA in the same was as an Expedia, Orbitz, etc. but Amex’s clear distinction about booking directly got me a little spooked.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
You can always book using an Amex Green for 3X MR on all travel, booked direct or not.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:11 pm

Our company uses a similar travel agency and I always get 5X points back.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not call the TA, but rather ask whoever in your organization administers the TA's contract. Answers such as "I believe" from front line customer service personnel would not give me a whole lot of confidence.

There are no useful DP's as the answer lies in the specific practice in your employer's relationship with this agency. Best to get an answer from someone with the full knowledge of how this account will be administered.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Tickets sold issued by my agency get the 5x bonus, as the charge is approved and processed by the airline. Even our consolidators are running charges through the carriers' merchant accounts in most cases.

This is how most traditional agencies operate. Unless the airfare is master billed and then you are somehow reimbursing your company for the personal travel (which is as convoluted as it sounds), BCD is unlikely to be the merchant on these tickets.
seawolf likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.