Business Platinum being shafted?

Old Jan 5, 21, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Angry Business Platinum being shafted?

I see all these credits and cashback offers flooding in for Consumer cardholders...is the Business card just getting completely ignored? All I got were...some bonus point categories, things I won't be spending in, very useless and not nearly as lucrative as the Consumer offers and credits.

What gives? I'm about to call Amex and just close my account.
Old Jan 5, 21, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by marcworld View Post
I see all these credits and cashback offers flooding in for Consumer cardholders...is the Business card just getting completely ignored? All I got were...some bonus point categories, things I won't be spending in, very useless and not nearly as lucrative as the Consumer offers and credits.

Do you need the number?
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Do you need the number?

Besides just wanting to scream into the black hole of the internet....I guess I was hoping maybe something better is coming and that someone here might have intel.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
....Is the Business card just getting completely ignored? .....
Does Business Platinum have the same competitive environment as the personal card? Prices (and discounts) reflect supply and demand, nothing else. If other issuers do not have a competitive product, American Express has little incentive to discount. If Business Platinum does not provide good value, just cancel.
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Does Business Platinum have the same competitive environment as the personal card? Prices (and discounts) reflect supply and demand, nothing else. If other issuers do not have a competitive product, American Express has little incentive to discount. If Business Platinum does not provide good value, just cancel.
I've eyed the Consumer benefits for a long time but I've been trying to avoid the hit on my credit report to close this and open something new instead - you can't convert one to the other. But that time may finally have arrived.
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:11 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Closing a Business card will have literally no effect on your credit report or score. Opening a new card will have some effect, but American Express often does not perform an Inquiry (hard pull) for established cardholders.
LETTERBOY and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:39 pm

AMEX Is offering 5X points for advertising, cell phone, office supplies, shipping and gasoline from Jan through end of June on Business Platinum and Centurion. You need to add the AMEX offer on the website or app for each category. It's not great, but it's also not nothing.
mia and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 4:56 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Biz Plat also has a $200 appreciation credit for some folks. Not quite the $500 or 50k MR points that Consumer Plat is giving out for retention. It is what it is.
Old Jan 5, 21, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Closing a Business card will have literally no effect on your credit report or score. Opening a new card will have some effect, but American Express often does not perform an Inquiry (hard pull) for established cardholders.
My last two cards from AMEX were the Delta Platinum and AMEX Gold. Both with no hard credit check (just a new account). It's pretty nice AMEX does that.
Old Jan 5, 21, 9:57 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Since Jan 1, I've already gotten/used the 200 appreciation credit, 100 Dell credit, and 200 airline credit. $500 before the first week of January is up.
Old Jan 6, 21, 7:46 am

Yea, I agree they're doing the business Platinum cardholders dirty. COVID lockdowns still in full effect, so travel benefits are marginal, yet the only thing you get are a few extra points on purchases... I'll be cancelling unless they step it up.

As a side note, I spent just over $100 at Dell on Jan 1st, and was reimbursed the full amount so they either extended the extra $100 at Dell or inadvertently forgot to remove it for 2021. Unfortunately, the new AmEx attitude is that they will just clawback any benefits they gave in error, with no real timeline. So I'm reluctant to spend the entire extra $100.
Old Jan 6, 21, 10:17 am

Benefit disparity across card types has been a constant pet peeve of mine. My biggest peeve is that Plat holders get different and sometimes better benefits than Centurion. I think Amex should move to a benefit chart that starts on the left side with Green and moves by card type to the right with Cent on the right. The list all benefits on rows with the Green having the fewest and then every subsequent card having those benes plus specifc added benefits so by the time you end up at Cent the Cent card has them all.

Of course this wouldn't solve the difference between personal and business but would add some continuity to all cards. My kids Plat cards get better/more useful benes than my Centurion did.
Old Jan 6, 21, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sdix View Post
Benefit disparity across card types has been a constant pet peeve of mine. My biggest peeve is that Plat holders get different and sometimes better benefits than Centurion. I think Amex should move to a benefit chart that starts on the left side with Green and moves by card type to the right with Cent on the right. The list all benefits on rows with the Green having the fewest and then every subsequent card having those benes plus specifc added benefits so by the time you end up at Cent the Cent card has them all.

Of course this wouldn't solve the difference between personal and business but would add some continuity to all cards. My kids Plat cards get better/more useful benes than my Centurion did.
I would expect that most Centurion members don't even know about most of the promotional type benefits, and many of these promotions that are paid for by various merchants would just be wasted sponsorship money.
Old Jan 7, 21, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT (noted for club access reference), Amtrak Select

I agree 100% with you 7 figure spend for 10+ years and a slap in the face with bonus points in useless categories. Meanwhile the penny pinchers over on some of the facebook AMEX Plat groups is cringe worthy and the gift card whores. Do you SERIOUSLY need a gift card for Home Depot or Best Buy, If you can't find something to buy at either one of those stores there is something wrong with you... Instead buys gift cards to then sell on eBay to justify the fee. I cannot wait until the jack the fee up to 2K to get rid of all the trash. That or the in between card shows up and all the PLAT holders get the boot from the lounge...

And while I certainly get my money's worth in points and considering I actually use the lounges on a monthly basis no one feels it worse than those that are using the card for what it's meant to be used for and we get shafted...
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:49 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by theboss7593 View Post
Meanwhile the penny pinchers over on some of the facebook AMEX Plat groups is cringe worthy and the gift card whores. Do you SERIOUSLY need a gift card for Home Depot or Best Buy, If you can't find something to buy at either one of those stores there is something wrong with you... Instead buys gift cards to then sell on eBay to justify the fee. I cannot wait until the jack the fee up to 2K to get rid of all the trash. That or the in between card shows up and all the PLAT holders get the boot from the lounge...

And while I certainly get my money's worth in points and considering I actually use the lounges on a monthly basis no one feels it worse than those that are using the card for what it's meant to be used for and we get shafted...
okay, we get it. you're wealthier (i.e. better) than everyone else. give it a rest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: