Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:20 pm

earlier in the month purchased something on ebay through paypal. got the Amex credit.
then the seller canceled my order. 2 weeks later ebay emails me and says they can't issue a refund because of problem with my original payment method. only directions say "contact your payment method" to resolve it. haven't take the time to track that down, but not good having to jump through hoops for a simple refund. turns me off of paypal and ebay.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I just made my monthly paypal purchase which as it happens completed my minimum spend. The $30 credit better not drop me below the $5,000!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I just made my monthly paypal purchase which as it happens completed my minimum spend. The $30 credit better not drop me below the $5,000!
It might. As a similar example, merchant credits due to Amex Offers do count as negative spend.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BergLust
Well, after getting tired of waiting I contacted AMEX through the chat...again. Went through the whole thing with the chat again (even after referring to my case number). In the end they said that the Shell App PayPal changes are showing up as a gift card or Peer to Peer transaction in their system. I explained that it was for purchasing gasoline at the gas station with the Shell App. They credited me all the credits in question for Jan-March. So I've got my full 30/month from Jan-March...so that's good. Going forward, I'll never use the Shell App again, with PayPal, in anticipation that I get the PayPal credits. At least they resolved the issue for me. Hope others get their issues straightened out.
I am just surprised that you kept using PayPal at Shell since January while the problem was not resolved, month after month.
Sloflyer032 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by MaxVO
It might. As a similar example, merchant credits due to Amex Offers do count as negative spend.
what is interesting though is that I have never had them reversed even after returning the item that triggered the offer and credit
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
... I have never had them reversed even after returning the item that triggered the offer and credit
This benefit only started a few months ago, and AmEx can claw back years later. When it only takes a minimal effort to get rid of obvious clawback reasons, I'd just do that extra spending.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by vanillabean
There's a good likelihood it will indeed decrease your eligible spend. Can you really not just put another $30 on the card to be safe? Seems like a reasonable insurance policy if the risk is losing a SUB.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It’s not clear me to what came first, but this morning when I logged in, my most recent charge was on its second day of having been posted, the Welcome Bonus progress showed "$xx.xx to go!”, the Membership Rewards Points total did not have the signup bonus included, and the monthly Paypal credit wasn’t there.

While the Welcome Bonus progress still hasn’t changed, the Paypal credit has shown up and the bonus in Membership Rewards Points as well. Not that it matters much what got updated first, because it turns out I would still be on the plus side of the $5,000 after the $30 credit. By around $2.

When I last posted, I think I was looking at the pretax amount of the charge. There is something to be said for taxes after all!
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I did a PayPal purchase priced in EUR in March and was reimbursed without trouble.
I have had several purchases in EUR and they were not reimbursed. So YMMV.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:06 pm

Do all paypal merchant gift card purchases "PAYPAL *PYPLGIFTSUS" trigger the amex credit?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Bought something on Ebay, and the $30 credit posted the same day that the Paypal charge moved out of "Pending."
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mster
Do all paypal merchant gift card purchases "PAYPAL *PYPLGIFTSUS" trigger the amex credit?
Yes
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Didn't have any use for the credit this month so just bought myself a $30 gift card to Target with email delivery and paid with PP. Easy. Sure I'll use that at some point without issue.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If I use the credit on April 30th, will that count for April or May?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I use the credit on April 30th, will that count for April or May?
Depends entirely on when the merchant processes the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.