Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
​​​​​​
I respectfully disagree, I thought the 2020 offers were very easy to use. If they gave me a poll I'd choose $20 cell over $30 PayPal.

BTW the wiki with ideas is awesome, I wouldn't have known PayPal was an option for Netflix!
not sure what you are disagreeing with. I never said it wasn't easy to use. I said it was restrictive and good luck arguing that Paypal is not orders of magnitude more usable
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Well, I just spoke to a pretty confused CSR and they were not able to confirm - they said I needed to reach out to PayPal directly as they initiate the statement credit - not AMEX (???)

Now I'm confused...maybe the CSRs haven't been brought up to speed on this yet but I'm going to hold off until I see something more official on Schwab cards
Seeing multiple data points on DoC about people asking CSRs about Platinum Schwab and them being informed it is eligible - I must have gotten a very confused CSR
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lax01
Well, I just spoke to a pretty confused CSR and they were not able to confirm - they said I needed to reach out to PayPal directly as they initiate the statement credit - not AMEX (???)

Now I'm confused...maybe the CSRs haven't been brought up to speed on this yet but I'm going to hold off until I see something more official on Schwab cards
Why are you confused? The same Temporary benefits that applied to Personal Platinum cards applied to ALL Personal Platinum cards, there wasn't any carve out for co-branded cards.

A lot of people are surprisingly confused it seems by the same question.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
not sure what you are disagreeing with. I never said it wasn't easy to use. I said it was restrictive and good luck arguing that Paypal is not orders of magnitude more usable
Agree 100%. I have never used PayPal before so never knew that they are accepted almost everywhere. Even Dish accepts a quick $30 payment.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cfischer
I disagree with the phrase "restrictive" because that implies people with $550 credit cards didn't already have a cell phone bill. That cell phone credit was the best gimme I could have asked for, 15% off an existing and recurring expense, without a second thought. The sky isn't exactly the limit with this new credit, since I can't list my local haunts as using PayPal. That makes PayPal more versatile but still restrictive.
​​​
​​Edit to clarify since I got distracted: I'm not turning down the credit, I just had the personal opinion that the cell credit was easier which made it more valuable to me.
ijgordon and cuthroat like this.

Last edited by Gig103; Jan 2, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Magna
We can choose to use PayPal when checking out at Target or Walmart? I never noticed that on their payment device. T&C of offer says we can’t use PayPal app so it seems the offer is looking to increase usage of PayPal on websites.
Yes see my picture above. It’s incredibly easy and can be done on a web browser — it’s not always obvious sometimes you have to click on “Other payment options” but it is there.

As noted above I use this all the time during Chase Freedom quarters that are 5x PayPal and I’ve never had a problem with it coding as PP*HomeDepot/Walmart/Target.

One thing to note with Target, if you use PayPal and return the item the refund is given as a Target gift card, not a PayPal refund.

Many streaming services also take PayPal so if you wanted it for streaming just change your payment method.
Magna and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Why are you confused? The same Temporary benefits that applied to Personal Platinum cards applied to ALL Personal Platinum cards, there wasn't any carve out for co-branded cards.

A lot of people are surprisingly confused it seems by the same question.
Well, I'm confused by what the CSR said because I don't think its correct - was not good information

I was just looking for confirmation that the Schwab card was included - since its not explicitly stated but multiple people on DoC have gotten confirmation from reps that it is included.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm not certain this will work right, but my plan is to set Uber Eats to reload with PayPal, on which I've set Amex Plat as the preferred payment. This will work (I hope) like a two-fer for me, in that my monthly use of the $15 Uber credit will also use the $30 PayPal credit (my family's Uber Eats bills usually run about $75 per).
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'm not certain this will work right, but my plan is to set Uber Eats to reload with PayPal, on which I've set Amex Plat as the preferred payment. This will work (I hope) like a two-fer for me, in that my monthly use of the $15 Uber credit will also use the $30 PayPal credit (my family's Uber Eats bills usually run about $75 per).
I'm just guessing, but I don't think it will work automatically like that. I'm thinking you would first need to manually add to Uber balance. For example, $15 is already there automatically through Platinum Card, then you would manually add once a month $30 from PayPal, thus having $45 for an Uber Cash balance.
driptoohard likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:50 am

Is there any way to use this credit in stores / grocery stores somehow (i.e. as you would with apple pay?) ? I'm thinking maybe you could add your paypal acct to a google pay account and somehow do it that way?8.5.5
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm just guessing, but I don't think it will work automatically like that. I'm thinking you would first need to manually add to Uber balance. For example, $15 is already there automatically through Platinum Card, then you would manually add once a month $30 from PayPal, thus having $45 for an Uber Cash balance.
It automatically reloads $100 at a time, and that seems to happen when the balance dips below around $25. My current balance is $57, so my next Uber Eats order (~$75) will trigger a reload. I'll see if this taps the PayPal.
Magna likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
​​​​​​BTW the wiki with ideas is awesome, I wouldn't have known PayPal was an option for Netflix!
+1

Thanks to OP and the Wiki.
Changed Hulu and Netflix to PayPal. Just about adds up to exactly $30/month, and next billing is in a few days for both! 👍
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:58 am

We can choose to use PayPal when checking out at Target or Walmart? I never noticed that on their payment device. T&C of offer says we can’t use PayPal app so it seems the offer is looking to increase usage of PayPal on websites.
I always go through Walmart.com via a computer and click on "More Checkout Options" when I get ready to pay. Paypal is listed there. I made a purchase yesterday, so I should have a data point to share very soon, but I can't imagine it won't work. I was buying actual food items and consumer goods, not gift cards.
LIH Prem and Duke787 like this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jan 2, 2021 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
Yes! From what I’ve seen so far with my own accounts, Netflix and Disney+ do (I read Hulu might, but I no longer subscribe so I couldn’t confirm); the NYTimes’ digital subscription does as well.
Oh thanks for noting that. You have to click through a bit on Netflix so I originally thought it wasn't an option.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
It automatically reloads $100 at a time, and that seems to happen when the balance dips below around $25. My current balance is $57, so my next Uber Eats order (~$75) will trigger a reload. I'll see if this taps the PayPal.
Oh! Is there a way to shut off automatic reload? I don’t use Uber Eats that much. With upcoming Gold credit I’ll have $25 every month in Uber and $45 in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.