Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of an Era! (Closed Centurion card account.)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I'm not the OP, this is how I see it. Amex is a serious company with many decades long cardmembers who are equally very serious people. When you have a mutual relationship for that long with the amount of dollars involved, the relationship must be based upon mutual respect, trust and reciprocity. Any ultimatum should never be made lightly and without purpose; and, if made, must be carried out should the other party decline. There's no room for duplicity in this kind of relastionship, such as the "let's call to cancel the card every year fishing for a bonus, but don't cancel if we don't get it" thing. Once a threat is made, there can be no question that it *will* be carried out if one's demands aren't met.

Just my take and speculation on why the OP may have simply cancled the card.
We’re talking here about the relationship between a consumer and a very large financial services company. This is not horse trading with the neighboring ranch. Your value to Amex is what their algorithm says it is, and the algorithm does not care how firm your handshake is.
BugsyPal and Drewm33 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
This may be a dumb question, but I am curious, and some folks may actually know the answer.

The OP is clearly a desirable customer with a 40 year history, a Centurion holder, and I am sure he pays his bills on time.
I recently decided to upgrade by Green card to the Gold, rather than close the account, because the math made sense. Amex was happy to process the upgrade. Similarly, some customers choose to downgrade their credit and charge cards to products with lower or no annual fees to maintain their account history. I am sure Amex prefers downgrades to outright cancelations.

Does anyone know if it is possible to downgrade the Centurion card to a regular Platinum or even the lowly Green? Even Warren Buffet has a GREEN CARD....LOL
If I was the OP, I would be a little perturbed that they provide more of a retention offer, but he is also keeping his Aspire and is willing to maintain some relationship with them.

Last question: Assuming someone would successfully downgrade their Centurion, does anyone think Amex could see the account history and allow a user to upgrade again, or would you basically be dead to them and have to be re-invited?

It's possible the OP doesn't care, and, while it's nice to keep credit history for an old account, I am sure the OP has a long credit history anyway, with many other accounts. I doubt closing the Centurion is going to have much of am impact.

I was offered a downgrade to any other colored card but I went into the call with the mindset that the only solution for me was to roll back the annual fee to what had been "grandfathered" in. I suppose that was either the $1000 or worse case $2500 for each card.

It was a very polite call but to me the benefits of any other card to me weren't worth it. I kept my Hilton card as it gives Hilton Diamond and also keeps my "Member Since" date so I do not loose the 40 years of relationship for credit purchases.

I was told I could reconsider any time but while it wasn't explicitly said I suspect there is a re-qualification and a initiation fee.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
.... I kept my Hilton card...
My experience suggests that American Express is not distressed unless you close "all" accounts. Keeping any card open seems to be regarded as a satisfactory outcome.
sdix, SPN Lifer and Drewm33 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm in the same boat as the OP as I've had the Centurion card for many years. I didn't get much value from the card this past year and the concierge service doesn't really help. "The Points Guy" talks about his concierge with great reverence and how they plan out extravegent itineraries for him. I haven't had luck with fairly simple travel requests or setting up exclusive access to travel venues. I end up researching and booking myself, which takes time that I think the concierge should be performing. So besides having a Black Titanium Card in my wallet, it doesn't really do much else. I'm thinking I'll downgrade to a Platinum Card for the lounge access and to keep my average # of years of credit the same. The Card could be so much more, but isn't. The desire to have the card is stronger due to its exclusivity, more so than what it actually provides, unfortunately.

I'll look forward to the 5x points for travel on the Platinum Card. If the concierge service was stronger, I'd keep the card just for that, but it's just weak and doesn't replace an assistant/secretary.
strickerj and imnotalawyer like this.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Jan 6, 2021 at 10:22 am Reason: Consolidate three substantially similar posts from three threads.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I've had a Centurion Card for many years but will downgrade to a Platinum card, as I'll be hit with the fee increase this year. Plus I'll look forward to the 5x points. What is the appeal of the Centurion Card besides it's exclusivity? From personal experience of having owned it for many years, I'm just not getting much benefit. I think it's strongest draw is its exclusivity which creates desirability, more so than what it actually provides. If the concierge service was stronger, I'd keep the card just for that, but it's just weak and doesn't replace an assistant/secretary.
Have you considered the purchase of concierge services with the savings from cancelling the Centurion?

Will you be changing your FT handle to EXCENT? 😀
jspira and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well, I didn't receive any gift but then I hardly used the card this year. Fee increase will be on my Feb statement, I think I'll be downgrading to a Platinum card after having the Centurion Card for many years. It just doesn't have value. The concierge services has never been useful to me, I've tried to use them for planning trips, getting access to stuff but they typically fail and I end up having to do it myself. What are other card holders experiences?
The card was seriously diminished in 2020 thanks to COVID, but I still got some good use from it. Mostly with Hertz Plat and Equinox. I too will see my fee increase in February and I'm leaning towards giving it a try for one year to see if they can increase the benefits to cover for the lack of travel going on.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:13 am

If you use the equinox membership it’s a no-brainer, particularly for this year since you easily get benefits that exceed the annual fee:

special travel credit on renewal (this year only) $2,000
equinox membership $3,000
saks annual credit $1,000
Uber annual credit $200
paypal 6 month credit $180
hertz
delta
clear

if you don’t (or can’t) use the equinox membership it comes down to how much you value hertz and delta in my view.
RichardMannion likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I've tried to use them for planning trips, getting access to stuff but they typically fail and I end up having to do it myself. What are other card holders experiences?
Not fortunate enough to be considered centurion, however I use the platinum concierge for travel mostly as that is where I had the most success. My instructions to them are usually quite straight forward - desired airline carrier(s), cabin class and max budget for the trip details and leave the rest to them to come back - it gets tricky once you start introducing additional filters like transit/stopover, departure times etc...and at that point you might as well do it yourself.

In AU/NZ one could instruct and confirm the booking with authorisation via email [and the itinerary is sent when done]; in UK I found a return call is required (always) which I do find pointless, I would get potential itinerary options and then have to pick up a phone to the concierge team to proceed. (Mail boxes have a No Reply instruction).

Last edited by dadig; Jan 6, 2021 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Have you considered the purchase of concierge services with the savings from cancelling the Centurion?

Will you be changing your FT handle to EXCENT? 😀
EXCENT it is! 😀 I have a travel agent acquaintance in town and she is pretty amazing. Some of our travel group have been know to have her come along on trips to smooth the way as they go along their journey. She's been everywhere and knows everyone, I personally haven't tried this but maybe as you say, the savings could go towards that.
ubiquitous1984 likes this.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Jan 6, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
If you use the equinox membership it’s a no-brainer, particularly for this year since you easily get benefits that exceed the annual fee:

special travel credit on renewal (this year only) $2,000
equinox membership $3,000
saks annual credit $1,000
Uber annual credit $200
paypal 6 month credit $180
hertz
delta
clear

if you don’t (or can’t) use the equinox membership it comes down to how much you value hertz and delta in my view.
Yes, we don't have an Equinox anywhere near us. I would consider keeping it as you say.
I love the Hertz pickup/drop off service, I'll miss that. With Hertz bankrupt, I'm wondering how long that will last anyway.
We don't have Delta in our market but I'm a lifetime AA Platinum with 3+ million miles. So Delta status doesn't really help either. Wish we had the Delta option as they are a great airline. AA devaluated Platinum by inserting Platinum Pro in between Platinum and Executive Platinum which was a blow.
How do you get the $2,000 travel credit? I'd keep the card another year if this was the case, as it would make the annual fee $3k and not $5k.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by dadig
Not fortunate enough to be considered centurion, however I use the platinum concierge for travel mostly as that is where I had the most success. My instructions to them are usually quite straight forward - desired airline carrier(s), cabin class and max budget for the trip details and leave the rest to them to come back - it gets tricky once you start introducing additional filters like transit/stopover, departure times etc...and at that point you might as well do it yourself.

In AU/NZ one could instruct and confirm the booking with authorisation via email [and the itinerary is sent when done]; in UK I found a return call is required (always) which I do find pointless, I would get potential itinerary options and then have to pick up a phone to the concierge team to proceed. (Mail boxes have a No Reply instruction).
I would like the concierge to plan a more complex itinerary but they are not that knowledgeable. ie: On a past trip to London, I wanted them to arrange back stage type access to some different venues. Like a private tour of the Churchill Museum for instance. Ended up arranging it myself as they couldn't do it and it was an easy ask. Louvre Museum after hours? Sistine Chapel, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would like the concierge to plan a more complex itinerary but they are not that knowledgeable. ie: On a past trip to London, I wanted them to arrange back stage type access to some different venues. Like a private tour of the Churchill Museum for instance. Ended up arranging it myself as they couldn't do it and it was an easy ask. Louvre Museum after hours? Sistine Chapel, etc.
US Amex concierges have never been good at anything outside of the US. Within the US I've had some luck with them, but I mostly do it myself.

The $2000 credit comes once you pay the $5K, but I think it has to be used with Amex travel bookings only.

Last edited by stimpy; Jan 6, 2021 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
No the Plan it payment is added to your revolving account balance. So if I do a plan it for $1200 for 12 months they will add $100 (plus the plan it fee for those that pay one) to my minimum payment each month. They also allow you to pay off any other charges in full (plus the plan it monthly amount) So say I charge $150 in regular charges my full adjusted amount to avoid interest on the regular charges would be the $150 plus the $100 for plan. They disclose this on your statement. They also would allow you to make a minimum payment on the regular charges plus the $100 plan it payment (but you would pay interest on the regular charges) We get offers a couple of times a year for Plan it with no fees which we use to make tuition payments for my kids college. We can earn miles/points on the purchase, interest free use of amex money for 1-3 years (plans they offer can vary from 12 months to 36 months-you won't know what they offer until the charge posts), I don't have to pay the college to enroll in their payment plan. It makes it much easier to cash flow rather than having to sell assets to pay for their tuition. The downside I see is the schools charge 2.9% fee to pay with a credit card (but they charge this regardless of using plan it. All CC/DC get charged the fee) and you don't know how many months the plan they offer will be until the charge posts. They have an online calculator to estimate that but it is not always what is offered. In looking at plan it payment plans outside the $0 fee offer it looks like the interest rate is around 6.99% but that may vary.
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
*Stay Away*! *LOL*

Like that Pay Over Time thing AMEX is promoting "Plan It" very heavily.

I was sat down when got first AMEX out of college; don't ever put anything on American Express you can't pay in full when bill arrives. Just don't do it!

American Express is a bank and guess bean counters sat around and realized they were leaving money on the table by not first offering revolving credit accounts. Now they've upped that game to include ways to turn their charge cards into sort of credit cards.

Haven't looked into "Plan It", but if it is anything like "Pay Over Time" you cannot get at that balance long as you have a balance for charge portion. Options are to pay off entire statement balance (including POT charges), pay monthly payment due (which includes small portion of POT charges), pay both current payment due and whatever other charges are on account,*and* then pay excess (which goes then to POT balance). This or simply not use card for charge purposes and pay down POT charges directly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:42 am

Stimpy is correct - the. credit is available once the annual fee is paid and is for any travel booked through AMEX online or via the travel service.

The first notice was buried at the end of my June bill and they sent me a few notices when my renewal came up last month. Full terms from the June notice:

Centurion American Express Travel Credit
When you book travel through American Express Travel online or with Centurion Membership Services, you can earn up to $2000 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Centurion Card through 12/31/2021.
Offer Terms
For eligible Centurion Cards that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Centurion Cards that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.
When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Centurion Card, you can earn up to $2000 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Centurion Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Centurion Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Centurion Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.
Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Centurion Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Centurion Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Centurion Card must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to the Pay In Full bala
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdix
I was offered a downgrade to any other colored card but I went into the call with the mindset that the only solution for me was to roll back the annual fee to what had been "grandfathered" in. I suppose that was either the $1000 or worse case $2500 for each card.

It was a very polite call but to me the benefits of any other card to me weren't worth it. I kept my Hilton card as it gives Hilton Diamond and also keeps my "Member Since" date so I do not loose the 40 years of relationship for credit purchases.

I was told I could reconsider any time but while it wasn't explicitly said I suspect there is a re-qualification and a initiation fee.
Are you willing to share what your average spend was on the Centurion annually?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.