Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blakepilot
Maybe 50% misc everyday expenses (7-11, Amazon, flip flops, and everything from McDonalds in the airport to three-star Michelin restaurants around the world), 25% travel, and 25% large purchases like aircraft expenses/maintenance, jewelry for wife, or car down payments. I don't purchase luxury retail goods very often or at all, and I only own 1 watch I haven't worn in years. Definitely not that kind of spend profile. I put anything and everything I can on Amex though. Huge fan of their customer service.
I'm sure the aircraft maintenance gets on the radar pretty quick
Maine2LA likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
This makes sense: If Amex wants to create mystique, it wouldn’t want its cardholders to be dressed in torn jeans and tee shirts when they flash a Centurion. That would be bad for the brand.
Has Mark Zuckenberg changed his wardrobe
Old May 12, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by moe8555
Well, you've answered your own question! That is the typical spend required according to most reports. Are you going to accept the invite?
I didn't think that was big fish enough for it, but alas...

Yes I accepted it. Card arrives tomorrow.
Maine2LA likes this.

Last edited by blakepilot; Jul 8, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Old May 12, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes I accepted it. Card arrives tomorrow. My company (part 135 jet charters) caters to HNW individuals with often very particular last-minute requests. I'll see how well they can fill these requests when needed. Could be very beneficial for me and actually save me money vs hiring someone even part time to deal with stuff like that.
Welcome to the club!

I'm happy also because I get to say I was probably right when I posted in the 2019 or 2020 thread that with the new changes, internal restructuring, and higher annual fee Amex would be looking to significantly increase the number of Centurion members. In the US at least.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Welcome to the club!

I'm happy also because I get to say I was probably right when I posted in the 2019 or 2020 thread that with the new changes, internal restructuring, and higher annual fee Amex would be looking to significantly increase the number of Centurion members. In the US at least.
Maybe that long talked about new card above Platinum is in fact the Centurion being made much more widely available lol
Old May 13, 2021, 8:11 am

This might be a little bit off topic, but have any of the international Centurion Holders had any luck using the US Concierge for Restaurant/Hotel bookings in the US? With the time change and limited reach of the International centurion teams I've found it to be a bit difficult to get good service from them in securing last minute reservations or hotel bookings. Especially when you try to get one at 6PM US time for the same night.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by stimpy
Welcome to the club!

I dumped my Centurion Card when Amex doubled the annual fee to $5000, removed the $200 airline fee credit, and the vaunted customer service wouldn't reimburse my Nexus charge (which includes Global Entry and Pre Check) as part of the Global Entry benefit. There are no Equinox Clubs and I don't want a Saks credit. And I haven't found the Amex Concierge service valuable. Hertz discontinued driveback service. I already have airline and hotel elite status.

I don't see value in the $5000 fee.

May they have good luck in signing up new members
Old May 13, 2021, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Maybe 50% misc everyday expenses (7-11, Amazon, flip flops, and everything from McDonalds in the airport to three-star Michelin restaurants around the world), 25% travel, and 25% large purchases like aircraft expenses/maintenance, jewelry for wife, or car down payments. I don't purchase luxury retail goods very often or at all, and I only own 1 watch I haven't worn in years. Definitely not that kind of spend profile. I put anything and everything I can on Amex though. Huge fan of their customer service.
Thanks for the DP. Another DP question, what was your average annual spend prior to 2019?
Old May 13, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by SteveT
Thanks for the DP. Another DP question, what was your average annual spend prior to 2019?
All over the place. Anywhere from $100k to $500k. Used to do a lot of int'l premium cabin travel ex-NYC. That seems like decades ago
SteveT likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... My company (part 135 jet charters) caters to HNW individuals with often very particular last-minute requests. I'll see how well they can fill these requests....
Is the invitation for a personal or Business Centurion? Did you discuss using their concierge service to fulfill requests for your clients before accepting the invitation?
DJ_Iceman and imnotalawyer like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Is the invitation for a personal or Business Centurion? Did you discuss using their concierge service to fulfill requests for your clients before accepting the invitation?
Thought he said it was a personal card invite but it does sound like its a business version
Old May 13, 2021, 2:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by newbie88
Thought he said it was a personal card ....
Yes, I now see that mentioned just above the image.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:16 pm

Personal. I just opened a biz plat about 2 months ago, so not much history there.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: Too many to manage
Hello everyone.....it's been a long time since I posted.....I hope you are all well.

After 15+ years of 'wanting' the Centurion card and doing stupid things to ensure that I had the very best chance at being 'chosen' (tracking spend down to the dollar every year, adjusting spend mix, spending more than I should, calling to have my interest 'notated' at least 20+ times - you get the gist...), I gave up bothering in 2019 - it wasn't worth the hassle and headache and the platinum card was doing a pretty good job.

Lo and behold....I received an invite a couple of months ago (same as the above picture from blakepilot ) for the personal card and was subsequently 'approved'. I hadn't called Amex in 18+ months.

I am hesitant to share data since every time someone posted numbers, I would go insane (over many years lurking on this board) trying to calculate probability of being approved based on running everyones spend here and honestly I don't want inflict similar torture on others....but.....in the interest of sharing and enriching the forum with data (n=1 & YMMV), here goes!

Creditworthiness - 800+ FICO
Annual spend over the past 5-6 years - Min ~$215k - Max ~$600k. Ave: ~$300k
5 yr Spend Growth - spend has typically increased (including 2020) y/y by around 10%-15% (the $600k was a blip in the middle).
Spend mix (100% personal ----> 5% personal travel & leisure, 15% high end purchases, 5% high end restaurants, 75% - general daily expenses (Amazon, McD, ubereats, groceries, high end car service & maintenance, property taxes - basically pretty much everything)
Amex Services used - Have called travel once, rarely use FHR online - maybe <5 times & Concierge 1-2 times (have used more in the past couple of months than in 15 or so years)

If you look at recent approvals (djiceman, blakepilot and now me), there may be a trend as it relates to annual spend (consistency & annual increase) at around $250k-$350k a year and at least 5+ years of membership duration. I believe I read DJ_Iceman called to notate interest, I certainly did.... blakepilot - did you call them ever? Of course, there may not be and it's just outliers in data - I'm sure if you put $1M+ on the card every month, it will be a different story!

In any case, good luck to those who are hell bent on trying to get one - my lesson learned...sometimes things come to those that don't give a @@@@ anymore!

mia & stimpy - glad to see that you're still around and haven't forgotten the days of mucci des coins exotiques!! And stimpy you're spot on - they're definitely focusing on increasing their membership #s (will be interesting to see if they do anything to drive retention rates of current holders). They also must be low on their US quotas - that's the only reason why I got approved LOL!

Best,
Stinky
SteveT, DJ_Iceman, Statman and 2 others like this.

Last edited by stinky; May 18, 2021 at 6:22 pm
Old May 18, 2021, 5:56 pm

Congrats on finally getting one! Interesting info on the split. Seems only 25% is in the primary category around luxury/travel and the rest a combination of daily spend. I presume taxes would be a big chunk? Too bad here in Europe we're not able to pay our tax via cc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.