Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
Congrats! For DP, what has been your spend over the past couple of years?
Thanks! I'm really excited for this new card - the invite took me by surprise.

I'll round out 2021 with about $2M to $2.2M across personal and business cards. In the previous two years, I had focused my spending on my Chase Sapphire Reserve so my Amex spend was only like $250k or so, but then I figured out how to pre-fund my amex to take down giant purchases for business (Chase doesn't let you). My biggest single transaction this year was $600k and another for about $400k, both by pre-funding the card.
SteveT and Statman like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Anyone go through the trouble of weighing the new cards?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Talbs
Thanks! I'm really excited for this new card - the invite took me by surprise.

I'll round out 2021 with about $2M to $2.2M across personal and business cards. In the previous two years, I had focused my spending on my Chase Sapphire Reserve so my Amex spend was only like $250k or so, but then I figured out how to pre-fund my amex to take down giant purchases for business (Chase doesn't let you). My biggest single transaction this year was $600k and another for about $400k, both by pre-funding the card.
nice work. please clarify a few things. you had only spent a total of $2MM across multiple cards, personal/business? and still got the invite when the prior 2 years were limited to only $250k? i dont get it. this is a very interesting DP. especially when many RMs insist $5-$10MM on biz plat alone. maybe things have changed for this year?

also, what do you mean, "pre-fund"? you wired $1MM to your amex cards prior to purchase? so you had a huge credit balance?

anyone know whats the new going rate for personal plat spend for cent invite?

Last edited by GundamWing01; Oct 9, 2021 at 4:14 pm
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
... many RMs insist $5-$10MM ....
I think there is a geographic element. That kind of spend might be required in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago et. al., but if Mr. Talbs' business is in a smaller market the criteria may be different.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
nice work. please clarify a few things. you had only spent a total of $2MM across multiple cards, personal/business? and still got the invite when the prior 2 years were limited to only $250k? i dont get it. this is a very interesting DP. especially when many RMs insist $5-$10MM on biz plat alone. maybe things have changed for this year?

also, what do you mean, "pre-fund"? you wired $1MM to your amex cards prior to purchase? so you had a huge credit balance?

anyone know whats the new going rate for personal plat spend for cent invite?
JustA Millennial did a YT video detailing his spend before he got the personal invite:

GundamWing01 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I know you all take this much more seriously than I....but from reading the posts it looks like my $3K a year spend on my Schwab Plat and living on a small island in the Puget Sound is probably not going to earn me an invite.
renila, SteveT, BryanIAH and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by JustA Millennial
I think i should make a video about it. Because i feel many people in this forum think that amex platinum and amex centurion is the same, they are not. I have had platinum for many years and not even one time i felt i was treated differently than the other amex customers.

Incase any of you guys want to watch my other centurion videos, the name on youtube is Get to the point, i have bunch of centurion videos related to how much i spent to get my personal centurion card invite, and another video where i talk about the invitation call and what they asked me, and unboxing video of my centurion card.
awesome video on the spend details for personal cent. thank you for making that. are you willing to share any of the spend details by category and percentage? for example X% on lux items, travel, airfare, online merchants, daily living etc. this seems to be a key factor as well.

Originally Posted by mia
I think there is a geographic element. That kind of spend might be required in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago et. al., but if Mr. Talbs' business is in a smaller market the criteria may be different.
very true. i just dont know how much of geo factors into the selection process. i know it does for UA GServices, but for amex cent, i believe spending category plays a greater role vs geo. and obviously personal vs business is totally different.

JustA Millennial did a YT video detailing his spend before he got the personal invite:

https://youtu.be/HMpn1S-waMk
thank you so much. this was super helpful.
SteveT likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by david55
I've been a member since 1982. I spend maybe $5000 a year on my Schwab Platinum in a good year......I requested an invitation to the Centurion card ( via the web portal) just because I can.

When they send me the invitation....I'll regretfully say no.
When you say portal do you mean the form located at americanexpress dot com/en-us/account/centurion/login ?

Curious, because I have been a member since 1982 and would like to request - not sure if there is a different portal that you are speaking of.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by travel305
When you say portal do you mean the form located at americanexpress dot com/en-us/account/centurion/login ?

Curious, because I have been a member since 1982 and would like to request - not sure if there is a different portal that you are speaking of.
Go to centurion.com and click 'Interested in Centurion...'
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by bcs36
Go to centurion.com and click 'Interested in Centurion...'
Yeah, that redirects to the link I posted. I wasn't sure if there was another portal. Guess not.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:35 am

Thanks. I'm in a relatively small market in the Pacific Northwest. No doubt I'd be no one special if I were in NYC or LA.

I'm a relatively new business card holder. I had been using my personal amex for business reimbursables for most of the year and racked up about $1.6M on my personal card. I eventually started an LLC and got a card tied to that entity. I'll have about $500k between that biz gold and now my biz centurion by the end of the year, but I've also moved a bunch of spend off my personal CSR over to amex now as well.

And by pre-funding, you're correct. In anticipation for large purchases, I wire funds from my margin account to amex ahead of time to fund those purchases. Otherwise, they'll only let me charge about $250k at a time. At one point, I had pre-funded $600k on margin, then spent $500k on credit beyond that before getting reimbursed. So I was effectively out over my skis for $1.1M for a minute there. I was a little nervous but it was ultimately very low risk. I had it all paid off within the cycle.

I was on the phone with them and in a "by the way" kind of way, I said I was interested in the black card. They connected me to the Centurion desk and I chatted with them for a minute. Nothing committal. Evidently, when they reviewed my spend, they realized it was mostly business related anyway, so they offered me the business version of the card. It makes more sense than the personal version.

Also, if it's relevant, I've been with Amex for more than a decade and have never missed a full payment. 830+ FICO. In all honesty, I'm pretty surprised I got an invite given prior year spends were on personal cards only.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:50 am

I'm spending about $1m/year on my Amex Plat. Also probably another $100k+/year through Amex Travel. Requested an invite late last year through the site and even tried to speak to an account manager, got the runaround. One of my colleagues is a former Amex guy, and tells me that in Los Angeles, $1m/year doesn't cut it, because they have geographic requirements in areas like SF, NY, and LA. If you're living in a rich zip code, the annual spend required for an invite apparently is much higher. I've heard like $1.5m-$1.7m/year in LA. So while there's people getting invites with $300k/year of spend across the country -- it's not in those geographies. Which is really crappy and disappointing, to be honest. Especially when the norm today is like 90 minute hold times for Platinum Concierge. Imagine spending seven figures a year on a card where Amex is taking like 3% cut of the transactions as profit, and the best they can offer you is an hour and a half on hold. It's pretty nuts how I spend next to nothing on my Chase Sapphire Reserve and get better customer service from them, because on their sliding scale metric of being exclusive within geographies, my tiny million-per-year spend doesn't qualify me for anything other than their rapidly-declining customer service for Platinum, because of my zip code. Even though, I'm objectively a more valuable customer than the Centurion card holder spending $250k-$350k a year in Wyoming. But it's part of the "mystique" .
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by qnxr01
I'm spending about $1m/year on my Amex Plat. Also probably another $100k+/year through Amex Travel. Requested an invite late last year through the site and even tried to speak to an account manager, got the runaround. One of my colleagues is a former Amex guy, and tells me that in Los Angeles, $1m/year doesn't cut it, because they have geographic requirements in areas like SF, NY, and LA. If you're living in a rich zip code, the annual spend required for an invite apparently is much higher. I've heard like $1.5m-$1.7m/year in LA. So while there's people getting invites with $300k/year of spend across the country -- it's not in those geographies. Which is really crappy and disappointing, to be honest. Especially when the norm today is like 90 minute hold times for Platinum Concierge. Imagine spending seven figures a year on a card where Amex is taking like 3% cut of the transactions as profit, and the best they can offer you is an hour and a half on hold. It's pretty nuts how I spend next to nothing on my Chase Sapphire Reserve and get better customer service from them, because on their sliding scale metric of being exclusive within geographies, my tiny million-per-year spend doesn't qualify me for anything other than their rapidly-declining customer service for Platinum, because of my zip code. Even though, I'm objectively a more valuable customer than the Centurion card holder spending $250k-$350k a year in Wyoming. But it's part of the "mystique" .
I don’t see why NYC metro would have lower requirements than LA and I was running 650/700 a year in the three years before I got mine (this summer). I don’t think your info is entirely accurate.
GlobalServiced likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qnxr01
What has your spend been for the last couple of years. Was it on a personal or business card?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:04 am

What has your spend been for the last couple of years. Was it on a personal or business card?
About $1m a year for past 3 years on personal card. This year I'm already at $1m YTD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.