Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by dadig
I suppose it brings in line with the other regions e.g. UK always had the new design as far as I remember switching to the metal version.

If you request a replacement, you'll get a new issue number incremented on the 12th digit (from '1'). It's nicer to read if the 12-14th digits are '100' for the primary holder
If you request a replacement card because your card was damaged the card number stays the same. Only CVV and expiration changes. They always keep the card number the same unless there was a concern for fraud
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxVO
That would be wasteful. Unless the bank offers multiple card designs or colors, you'll get an identical replacement.
They do offer multiple card designs at the moment (current and this new re-design)

SP03 has the current design but wants the new design so requesting a replacement should result in the new design (unless AMEX has old stock they are depleting). I've done something similar when Chase switched to touchless cards and mine weren't set to expire/be replaced for a while.

Personally, I don't use my physical AMEX Plat out in the world (either I use Apple Pay or I'm using it online) so don't really care either way. It is weird to take Platinum off the front but the OCD in me has always been annoyed that the word "Platinum" covers the logo
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
SP03 has the current design but wants the new design so requesting a replacement should result in the new design
I misread -- thought he wanted to order the discontinued design.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Duke787
They do offer multiple card designs at the moment (current and this new re-design)

SP03 has the current design but wants the new design so requesting a replacement should result in the new design (unless AMEX has old stock they are depleting). I've done something similar when Chase switched to touchless cards and mine weren't set to expire/be replaced for a while.

Personally, I don't use my physical AMEX Plat out in the world (either I use Apple Pay or I'm using it online) so don't really care either way. It is weird to take Platinum off the front but the OCD in me has always been annoyed that the word "Platinum" covers the logo
I also don't use my physical often, but it just bothers me that the lettering of "Platinum" is over the logo. The spacing of all the elements just isn't right. I guess I'm a bit OCD too.
volabam and MaxVO like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Any speculation (or even statement) as to why the "Platinum" branding was removed?
To be consistent with the other charge card designs.
driptoohard likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
There might be a practical problem with this change at airport lounges (other than Centurion Lounges). Amex already gives lounges a sheet explaining which Amex cards include lounge access. Changing the card design and removing the word Platinum from the front will only add confusion.
HPN-HRL, volabam, Duke787 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
There might be a practical problem with this change at airport lounges (other than Centurion Lounges). Amex already gives lounges a sheet explaining which Amex cards include lounge access. Changing the card design and removing the word Platinum from the front will only add confusion.
I'd give it zero chance that anyone needs the word "platinum" to recognize the card. Before this thread, I wasn't even aware the word was there, and I've had the card for 2 yrs.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:36 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dadig
.... brings in line with the other regions e.g. UK always had the new design as far as I remember switching to the metal version.
My guess is that the sheet already includes designs with, and without, the word Platinum if both are in use worldwide.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:09 am

Is it possible to request a new card design in the U.S. ? I contacted support and they said the design hasn't changed
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:32 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Is it possible to request a new card design in the U.S. ? I contacted support and they said the design hasn't changed
I would review posts 5 and 17, and then decide how soon to request a replacement card.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:36 am

Programs: UA, Chase, AMEX, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SteveT
To be consistent with the other charge card designs.
also want to add that AMEX might think this would be cheaper for them to produce along other products since the company that charges them to do so probably raised the rate or they had a change in their agreement which I would expect to be normal business protocol.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Now only if they got rid of that huge 10 pin chip and go down to the 6 pin one
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Possibly, but many customers already don't pay attention, and don't know what does and doesn't provide access.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Any speculation (or even statement) as to why the "Platinum" branding was removed?
As long as its the same Platinum color it looks better to me without the word Platinum.

They can put Charles Schwab on the back while they're at it as far as I'm concerned.

Looks better like the Gold cards.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
I also don't use my physical often, but it just bothers me that the lettering of "Platinum" is over the logo. The spacing of all the elements just isn't right. I guess I'm a bit OCD too.
Thanks - now I can't unsee either that or the cut off C in the new logo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.