Community
Wiki Posts
Search

will any of the 2020 perks be reinstated in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
will any of the 2020 perks be reinstated in 2021?

(1)Dell $200 semi-annual vs normal $100
(2)$20 shipping credit/month
(3)Hilton $150 food permitted outside Hilton
(4)$5 small merchant purchase
were nice!
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
who knows.... Amex it seems I playing 2021 very close to the vest. Nothing has been announced so far.

I think most of your specific benefits are unlikely to reappear, but new things or similar things could replace them.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Nothing has been announced so far, but over at the main page for applying for the card, these are some of the benefits listed:

$200/year Uber credits
$100 Saks credit ($50 in Jan.-Jun., $50 in July-Dec.)
5x points for flights purchased directly with airlines and prepaid hotels
Global Entry/TSA Pre credit
Marriott Gold
Hilton Gold
Lounge access as before (with that caveat that lots of lounges are currently closed)

I think it's really unlikely we'll see changes to any of the above, given the emphasis of them in the sales pitch.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/platinum/

Note that the $20 streaming and $20 monthly wireless credits are "through 12/31/20".

No mention of the $200 airline incidentals credit on the main page, but it's still listed in the "fine print" of the terms and conditions. Those T&C start with "The following benefits and services are subject to change or cancellation." (boldface in the T&Cs). I doubt we'll see the $200 airline incidentals in 2021. I think it will be replaced by the targeted $200 Amex Travel credit.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
.... I doubt we'll see the $200 airline incidentals in 2021. I think it will be replaced by the targeted $200 Amex Travel credit.
American Express would have notified existing cardholders by now if eliminating the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit for 2021.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Saks credit started long before COVID-19, so I wouldn't put it into the same category as the credits that appeared this year. The same is true for the GE/PreCheck application fees, lounge access, and Bonvoy (previously SPG) and Hilton status.
cfabar1 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Should have put Platinum card in the thread title if that's the card being referred to, though it seems to be a mix of personal and business ones being mentioned.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'd love to see the $20 streaming and $20 wireless credit extended for at least a couple more months until travel can safely resume.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
American Express would have notified existing cardholders by now if eliminating the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit for 2021.
Your guess is better than mine, but why do you suppose they don't list the $200 airline fee on the sales pitch page (only in the T&Cs)? They list all sort of very minor benefits, but not that one.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dhuey
Your guess is better than mine, but why do you suppose they don't list the $200 airline fee on the sales pitch page (only in the T&Cs)? They list all sort of very minor benefits, but not that one.
I'd rather they replace it with a travel credit like Chase Sapphire reserve has. It's getting to be a real hassle to use the credit, and most people with an Am Ex platinum already have elite status with an airline that covers the stuff like checked bags, etc. anyway that the waiver covers. I'd rather have a $100 credit to use towards any travel (or even restrict it to an airline of your choice for any purchase) than the $200 airline reimbursement.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think Mia is right that Amex would have already told us if the $200 airline credit for Platinum was going away. The $100 similar credit for gold isn't going away until 2022, and they've already announced it.

But it's true that travel is going to continue to be restricted the next few months. They might decide to renew some of this year's credits if they see that 2021 is mostly going to be like 2020 as far as the ability to travel and use the credit (and that's clearly going to be the case, since it will take months for immunizations).

Replacing it with something like the $200 Amex Travel credit that I just got would be great. They don't even have to go as far as the Chase benefit--just don't make it so darn hard to use.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I think Mia is right that Amex would have already told us if the $200 airline credit for Platinum was going away. The $100 similar credit for gold isn't going away until 2022, and they've already announced it.

But it's true that travel is going to continue to be restricted the next few months. They might decide to renew some of this year's credits if they see that 2021 is mostly going to be like 2020 as far as the ability to travel and use the credit (and that's clearly going to be the case, since it will take months for immunizations).

Replacing it with something like the $200 Amex Travel credit that I just got would be great. They don't even have to go as far as the Chase benefit--just don't make it so darn hard to use.
The Chase credit is VERY easy to use and they even extended it this year so it can be applied against grocery store purchases.

It would be if travel is still down this year if they did like they did with the Am Ex Hilton resort credit and allowed it to be applied to restaurants.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:45 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The Chase credit is VERY easy to use and they even extended it this year so it can be applied against grocery store purchases.

It would be if travel is still down this year if they did like they did with the Am Ex Hilton resort credit and allowed it to be applied to restaurants.
Does anyone else find it interesting that Amex would rather add additional credits ($20 streaming & wireless) rather than allow the airline credits be applied to other categories even on a temporary basis?

LAX
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:01 pm

if my monthly cell phone credit was charged and went through end of last month but the credit came in dec 1st, can i still use the benefit for december?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mr_rogers
if my monthly cell phone credit was charged and went through end of last month but the credit came in dec 1st, can i still use the benefit for december?
Just make a $20 payment to the account (if your carrier supports over-payment) and see. Worst case is no.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Does anyone else find it interesting that Amex would rather add additional credits ($20 streaming & wireless) rather than allow the airline credits be applied to other categories even on a temporary basis?

LAX
What I find irritating is that they allowed the resort fee on the Hilton Card to be applied to restaurant purchases this year. The Hilton card literally pays you to be diamond if you use that perk with the airline perk and the free night yet they won't extend the same benefit to this card that has a higher annual fee. I would have been fine with Chase Sapphire not extending the categories for the travel credit this year seeing it is easy to use anyway (just buy an Uber gift card if you aren't going to use it this year and use it on Uber eats or an airline or hotel gift card and you're set with that credit) and are holding off on raising the annual fee but Am Ex isn't doing anything. I'd be happy iof they would even allow people to carry it over into the next year. The airline fee is really becoming useless to me since you can't buy gift cards with it. Seeing I'm a delta diamond and fly delta exclusively, I already get all the perks for free it pays for it and it's a real pain to use it with a gift card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.