Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does the additional Amex Business Plat Card earning bonuses go based off main card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the additional Amex Business Plat Card earning bonuses go based off main card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,

I just opened up an Amex Business Platinum card.
I was given the choice of adding cardholders as Plat/Gold/?

My main reason for going with the Business Plat versus gold was that I have a lot of purchases that are over $5k, so I will get the bonus points. But I can limit those purchases to one card. I dont need the travel benefits given to the additional cardholders.
If the additional cardholder is a Gold card, do I earn the 4 X bonus points on my select categories on purchases made on that card? Or does that only apply if the main card holder is gold? Vice versa, if the answer is no, do I earn the 1.5 points on $5+ purchases on the gold card?

Thank you
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ghurty
If the additional cardholder is a Gold card, do I earn the 4 X bonus points ....
No. Bonuses are a property of the account, not the physical card.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Originally Posted by mia
Perfect. So if I don't need the additional card holder to have any of the travel benefits, but I do want to be able to earn 1.5 points on $5k+ purchases, then I can still get them only a gold?

Besides the travel benefits, is there a reason to get the additional card holder a platinum card?

Thank you
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:14 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
That's what I was told by an Amex agent, but I recently made a small test charge for the 10X grocery bonus, and it appeared the gold card did in fact earn the bonus point. I intend to make another larger charge to see if that is indeed the case. Perhaps the bonus was credited by error? Or I could have been totally confused because the bonus points are not cleared assigned to each purchase.

LAX
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by LAX
.... I recently made a small test charge for the 10X grocery bonus, and it appeared the gold card did in fact earn the bonus point.
That's correct. The introductory`10X bonus is a property of the personal Platinum account, and it applies if using the primary Platinum Card or a supplementary Gold or Green card.

ghurty is asking about a different circumstance in which the primary card (Business Platinum) does not earn a bonus in some categories where Business Gold does earn a bonus. Adding a supplementary Gold to a Platinum account is not the same as applying for a separate Gold account, and the Gold bonuses do not apply.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:12 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
That's correct. The introductory`10X bonus is a property of the personal Platinum account, and it applies if using the primary Platinum Card or a supplementary Gold or Green card.

ghurty is asking about a different circumstance in which the primary card (Business Platinum) does not earn a bonus in some categories where Business Gold does earn a bonus. Adding a supplementary Gold to a Platinum account is not the same as applying for a separate Gold account, and the Gold bonuses do not apply.
My bad. I thought OP was asking about supplementary Gold card to the business Platinum card.

LAX
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by LAX
....asking about supplementary Gold card to the business Platinum card.
Yes, but the specifics of the question were reversed from the specifics in your example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.