FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2028998-amex-platinum-reportedly-considering-changing-ways-use-200-airline-credit.html)

Stockjock Nov 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit

I called and spoke to an Amex rep yesterday. I told him that, given coronavirus, I had not been traveling and found it difficult to utilize their $200 airline benefit. He told me I'd be eligible for $200 credit on bookings made through Amex Travel but also said, "We understand that with coronavirus and all of the restrictions, many customers have found it difficult to take advantage of the airline credit. There has been a lot of internal discussion about changing those rules to make it a lot easier for our customers to use the benefit. I hope that they have something new to announce for 2021".

I have no idea whether or not anything will actually change, but assuming this rep was straight with me, it sounds as if changes are under consideration.

mia Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 32837253)
.... eligible for $200 credit on bookings made through Amex Travel ....

Discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2021-a.html

dw Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I did notice a few weeks ago that the $200 annual incidental travel credit is not longer prominently mentioned for new applications (as in, it’s only mentioned in the T&Cs and not mentioned anywhere in the marketing terms), so there might be some real truth to this.

jags86 Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

With most airlines eliminating common incidental fees, I think they are going to have to make some changes to this perk. I mean, for me it's fine right now since Travel Bank came back, but I could see for most people this is a wasted benefit. Of course, if they keep the $40/mo in benefits going into 2021 that'll be fine, too.

Stockjock Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32837313)

This is not the point of the post and does not belong in that thread. The point is that that they are, supposedly, considering altering the requirements for the $200 airline credit so that will be easier to utilize. My reference to the Amex Travel situation was more of an aside in relation to my conversation with the agent, but not the actual point of this post.

mia Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 32837455)
This is not the point of the post and does not belong in that thread.....

Agreed. If I thought it belonged in that thread it would have been moved. Others may want to know more about the Amex Travel credit, and now they know where to look.

LAX Nov 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 32837416)
With most airlines eliminating common incidental fees, I think they are going to have to make some changes to this perk. I mean, for me it's fine right now since Travel Bank came back, but I could see for most people this is a wasted benefit. Of course, if they keep the $40/mo in benefits going into 2021 that'll be fine, too.

I will gladly take just the $20/month wireless credit for the whole year over the $200 airline credit (no more streaming). In fact, I would be happy with Uber-style credit for wireless ($15 for Jan-Nov & $20 for Dec) so that Amex doesn't end up giving out more than $200 credit.

LAX

PointsPanda Nov 23, 2020 2:21 pm

About time: The $200 credit was incredibly narrow in scope and difficult to use. Its funny upper management always listens to the bean counters wishes to forgo real benefits and add useless ones instead that will cost the company less, only to realize down the road they've lost much more money by attrition to competitors. Penny wise and pound foolish. If Amex wasn't so cheap from the outset, they wouldn't be dealing with such intense competitive pressures from Chase and other companies now.

Gig103 Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm

Keeping the mobile or streaming credits would be nice instead of the airline credit. If they wanted to keep it travel related they could do "airline incidentals or prepaid travel with Amextravel.com".

Charles4515 Nov 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 32837253)
I called and spoke to an Amex rep yesterday. I told him that, given coronavirus, I had not been traveling and found it difficult to utilize their $200 airline benefit. He told me I'd be eligible for $200 credit on bookings made through Amex Travel but also said, "We understand that with coronavirus and all of the restrictions, many customers have found it difficult to take advantage of the airline credit. There has been a lot of internal discussion about changing those rules to make it a lot easier for our customers to use the benefit. I hope that they have something new to announce for 2021".

I have no idea whether or not anything will actually change, but assuming this rep was straight with me, it sounds as if changes are under consideration.

Those reps usually tell you what you want to hear.

Stockjock Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Charles4515 (Post 32839742)
Those reps usually tell you what you want to hear.

The remarks were unsolicited. He said there's been "significant internal discussion" about changing things up. While only time will tell, I'll take him at his word.

Charles4515 Nov 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 32839885)
The remarks were unsolicited. He said there's been "significant internal discussion" about changing things up. While only time will tell, I'll take him at his word.

Significant discussion among call center reps amounts to nothing. Corporate will decide. It is a good guess that corporate would consider changes given the current situation. Call center reps are not in on corporate discussions.

zorbachs Nov 24, 2020 8:07 am

A lot of these fees are going away, and since Amex no longer allows the purchase of gift cards, these fees are almost worthless. I wish they'd just do what Chase does and allow a blanket $200 travel credit that covers hotels, airlines, rideshares, taxis, etc., but knowing Amex, that will never happen.

I do hope they extend the $40/month credits into 2021.

Stockjock Nov 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Just to follow-up, the 11/21 agent told me that I was eligible for the targeted $200 offer at Amex Travel, which I could use through the end of 2021. I asked him if he could send me something in writing on that and he said "sure".

Tonight, I opened his message, but it had nothing to do with what I had requested, i.e. confirmation of my $200 Amex Travel offer. Instead, it was a link to a discussion of the airline "perks", which I was already familiar with.

Called Amex tonight for clarification and they told me to pound sand. So I was given bad info by that agent. That may reflect negatively on his credibility, in my view.

Super Mario Nov 24, 2020 9:09 pm

If anyone thinks AMEX is looking for ways to make their credit easier to redeem, I've got news for you: no chance. During the pandemic, maybe. They don't want people closing the card because they aren't traveling and not needing it. At best, they will market it different. Some may benefit more than others. I expect more monthly credits and/or "partnerships, which are really just advertisements to get you to use said service. No one is reimbursing them for airline incidents, so that is why it may be on the chopping block, as it was for the Gold card.