Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit

Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit

Old Dec 6, 20, 4:12 pm

I think there's a possibility that AMEX might get rid of this credit altogether citing "difficulty in usage" and keep all the other benefits intact. A part of the rationale of this credit was to help make up for the loss in access to domestic airline lounges in the past before the Centurion lounges were built. Now that a number of Centurion lounges have been built in various cities, AMEX may soon feel the time is right to eliminate the airline incidental credit altogether. This may feel like a $200 increase in annual fee to many, but may not affect others as much.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 6, 20, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by steve4 View Post
I think there's a possibility that AMEX might get rid of this credit altogether citing "difficulty in usage" and keep all the other benefits intact. A part of the rationale of this credit was to help make up for the loss in access to domestic airline lounges in the past before the Centurion lounges were built. Now that a number of Centurion lounges have been built in various cities, AMEX may soon feel the time is right to eliminate the airline incidental credit altogether. This may feel like a $200 increase in annual fee to many, but may not affect others as much.
They are already getting rid of the Gold credit... except they're replacing it with a $10 monthly credit for Uber/Uber Eats.

I hold the Hilton Aspire with a $250 credit, if they nerfed the credit for that card and didn't replace it with anything I'd likely downgrade the card- one free weekend night anywhere + $250 resort credit plus watered down Priority Pass doesn't quite make it worth a $450 AF.

It's kind of a bold take to have AMEX completely nerf a card benefit on their top of the line card, after a year where everyone couldn't use Platinum cards for airfare or lounges, and Chase made the CSR's travel credit usable on groceries and dining via PYB. "We know out major competitor expanded benefits, but our customers are eating from the palms of our hands, we can do what we want."

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 6, 20 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 6, 20, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
I had just noticed the impending removal of the Gold Amex $100 airline credit at the end of 2021, but I hadn't heard anything about their replacing it with UberEats. Where did you hear that?

It kind of makes sense, because the Gold is really a food card, and the Platinum more of a travel card.
Old Dec 6, 20, 8:45 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
....hadn't heard anything about their replacing it with UberEats. Where did you hear that?
Discussion here: Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 7, 20, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by steve4 View Post
It's a marketing move to increase profits. For example, a $200 airline credit was an American-Express funded benefit to show value in the card. A $200 Uber credit is a partnership that very likely has additional benefits for them. Maybe they are never on the hook for the full $200 cost. Maybe the average user is less likely to utilize all monthly credits. Maybe they get a commission from Uber for new or incremental sales. Who knows. Regardless, the average person sees $200 and that's $200 of value, regardless of the details.

They spin it to sound like it is all for you, which many people eat up. That's what marketing does. Maybe the change very well does benefit some or even many customers. A large company does not make modifications to its flagship products when it is not beneficial to them. You go to your investors showing lower costs and higher revenues.
Old Dec 7, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by SP03 View Post
I would say my biggest issue with the travel credit is that you have to select an airline early in the year. I would assume most cardmembers are also leisure travelers and it's just not possible to know in Jan which airlines they are going to fly for the rest of the year. And sometimes I maybe flying an international carrier.

Amex likes to divvy up the credits throughout the year to prevent someone to game the system. So I think a comprise is to reimburse all airline charges up to $25 each for up to 10x a year.
This is my exact issue as well. My travel is mainly international and it doesn't apply to them, when I fly domestic, I'll take whichever carrier my company puts me on, or for personal travel whichever gets me to the destination and back at a reasonable time/price since I never fly enough on one carrier to pursue status. I've flown B6, AA, WN, and DL in the same year.
I like to get extra legroom seats and domestic First class upgrades when available, so I have no issues finding something to spend the credits on, but the fact that I have to pick an airline makes it somewhat limited to me.

I've found some airline swag I'd like to buy but those would all charge from a third party and not the airline itself so those wouldn't trigger the credit...
Old Dec 7, 20, 2:46 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
If they swapped this out for an Amex Travel credit I'd be happy. It would make the credit much easier to use and help out their bottom line, since it's their own travel portal as opposed to writing off charges from the airlines.
Old Dec 7, 20, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
If they swapped this out for an Amex Travel credit I'd be happy. It would make the credit much easier to use and help out their bottom line, since it's their own travel portal as opposed to writing off charges from the airlines.
I agree! I'd really enjoy having a $200 travel credit to their portal and it would be so much easier to use than the airline credit.
Old Dec 7, 20, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I call PTS rather than using their website.
Old Dec 7, 20, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I call PTS rather than using their website.
That's wise for airline reservations, but for hotel the website is fine.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 8, 20, 2:55 pm

Bloomberg mentioned AMEX is considering changes to its charge cards next year, so this might be one change (the title mentions upgrades from Platinum to Centurion, but the goal is to spur upgrades across the charge card line).

AmEx Plans New Perks to Lure Platinum Members to Centurion - Bloomberg
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 8, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
My friend just called to cancel his Platinum and they were trying to woo him with a sales pitch about "all the value" the card offers. They made a point to mention they "now have a $200 travel credit, instead of airline incidentals". Yes I realize it still counts as anecdotal but more evidence for a positive change.
Old Dec 8, 20, 10:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by MASTERNC View Post
Bloomberg mentioned AMEX is considering changes to its charge cards next year, so this might be one change (the title mentions upgrades from Platinum to Centurion, but the goal is to spur upgrades across the charge card line).

AmEx Plans New Perks to Lure Platinum Members to Centurion - Bloomberg
Good luck "splurging" upgrades from the $550 Platinum to a $5,000 Centurion, when you have to be invited or something! .
Oh and if you have an additional user, we're talking about $725 vs $10,000.

I am not sure there will be many in that path, but if there are, this would be a success indeed.
GUWonder and notquiteaff like this.
Old Dec 9, 20, 1:14 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Good luck "splurging" upgrades from the $550 Platinum to a $5,000 Centurion, when you have to be invited or something! .
Oh and if you have an additional user, we're talking about $725 vs $10,000.

I am not sure there will be many in that path, but if there are, this would be a success indeed.
Hey, $1K in travel credits, $1K in Uber credits, $1K in wireless credits, & $1K in streaming credits. That should make it more palatable, right?!

LAX
Old Dec 9, 20, 1:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I think a more probable road which has been discussed before is to offer some sort of $2500 semi-invite only card thatís more of a status card that offers Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, and/or Marriott plat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: