Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Old Nov 11, 20, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised no one posted this here.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...x-grocery-gas/
Old Nov 11, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Not happy to see this, but it is a good sign up offer for those who are new.

Mostly not happy because I would prefer to see them do 3x or 5x for everyone permanently or at least in all of 2021.
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
You missed this part of the offer:
  • Get 10x Membership Rewards points on Grocery and Gas purchases during the first 6 months of card membership, up to $15,000 in purchases; thatís 9x bonus on top of the regular 1x earn.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, that's potentially another 135k MR points if you max out the $15k.
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:21 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by safigan View Post
You missed this part of the offer:
  • Get 10x Membership Rewards points on Grocery and Gas purchases during the first 6 months of card membership, up to $15,000 in purchases; thatís 9x bonus on top of the regular 1x earn.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, that's potentially another 135k MR points if you max out the $15k.
That's tempting! I have been waiting for the unicorn offer of 100K SUB. Now I have to seriously consider this.

LAX
IndyHoosier, Brandinho1 and ramcm7 like this.
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

It's very tempting. My only Problem is I'm still waiting to receive my new CSP card. 😂
Old Nov 11, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
This might be enough to convince my wife to sign up rather than renewing mine. Same $550, just a matter of a credit hit.

Does anyone know if people using referral links can get this bonus? I'm probably not going to risk referring my wife, but I have friends with Amexes.
Old Nov 11, 20, 3:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
Mostly not happy because I would prefer to see them do 3x or 5x for everyone permanently....
This is an offer to attract new customers. The timing suggests customers who had been waiting until eligible to re-apply for Chase Sapphire Reserve. Adding more category bonuses would be designed to increase spending. Different objective, from a different budget.
italdesign and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 1:22 am
LAX

Does anyone know whether charges on the free gold AUs count toward the minimum spend? What about the bonus points on gas/grocery and airline/restaurant credit? TIA.

LAX
ramcm7 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Does anyone know whether charges on the free gold AUs count toward the minimum spend? What about the bonus points on gas/grocery and airline/restaurant credit? TIA.

LAX
yes they all count.
ramcm7 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 6:05 am

I am going to have my wife try and sign up for this. She’s been in pop up territory but worth a try. This has the added bonus of if approved, I am within the time period to close my Gold card and get my $250 back.

no need fo a Gold card if I can get 20% back at restaurants and 10x at grocery stores...
Old Nov 12, 20, 8:27 am

I'm able to get the 100K MR offer, as reported by DoC.
Old Nov 12, 20, 8:33 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb View Post
I'm able to get the 100K MR offer, as reported by DoC.
I went to Amex's website to see what's actually available after seeing your post and reading the DoC article. I couldn't believe I got the 100K offer, too! I immediately applied & got approved! The other difference between the offer I got and the one OP posted is I don't get the restaurant credit. It's a fair tradeoff for me (25K MR points vs. $300 credits). I get the gas/grocery promo, too. Now I need to figure out how to use the temporary COVID credits before they expire.

LAX
Old Nov 12, 20, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
I went to Amex's website to see what's actually available after seeing your post and reading the DoC article. I couldn't believe I got the 100K offer, too! I immediately applied & got approved! The other difference between the offer I got and the one OP posted is I don't get the restaurant credit. It's a fair tradeoff for me (25K MR points vs. $300 credits). I get the gas/grocery promo, too. Now I need to figure out how to use the temporary COVID credits before they expire.

LAX
The 75K MR + $300 restaurant credit offer is only available on a 3rd-party website.

I was really excited to see the 100K offer, but not sure how to justify the $550 fee given I can't use most of the benefits now.
Old Nov 12, 20, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb View Post
The 75K MR + $300 restaurant credit offer is only available on a 3rd-party website.

I was really excited to see the 100K offer, but not sure how to justify the $550 fee given I can't use most of the benefits now.
That's why they offering more points for gas and grocery for 6 months. Hopefully Travel will be better by then
Old Nov 12, 20, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Any think the free gold cards for additional members will also earn the 10x based on the primary holder's bonus?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: