Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:44 am

My player two just got the 125k in incognito mode. His first Amex. Instant approval. I think we'll be able to do the $5k in just gas and groceries, but not sure how much more. Still a heck of an offer, looking forward to being able to use it in the not so distant future.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:07 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I submitted the application this morning online, and I got an error saying based on my history with Amex, I'm not eligible for the 100K bonus offer.

I wonder whether that's because I generally don't use my existing Amex cards that much.

It seems I'm eligible for the 75K plus supermarket bonus, so I'm going to try to get that over the phone and see what happens.

EDIT: And I'm apparently not eligible for the 75K bonus either, so that ends that. I have no idea why, but if Amex doesn't want my business, then I certainly have other card issuers that do. I guess I'll just drain my MR account once I'm back to booking travel and cancel my existing cards.
That's a bummer. Just out of curiosity, have you ever churned any Amex card in the past?

LAX
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by LAX
That's a bummer. Just out of curiosity, have you ever churned any Amex card in the past?

LAX
I had a gold card many years ago (I would guess close to a decade ago), which I got for the bonus and then cancelled before the fee came due. I guess that was before they put in the language about clawing back the rewards - at any rate, my points are still there. Currently I have the everyday card and cash magnet. However, I got a flyer in the mail last week telling me I was preapproved for a welcome bonus if I upgraded my CM card (with payment of an annual fee, of course).

I barely use my everyday card and probably haven't used the CM at all this year. But they're both no fee, and I'm entirely within the terms of my card agreements. Maybe they're pissy because I'm not using my existing cards regularly - but I have better reward programs on other cards.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:23 pm

is purchase @ WMNM counted as grocery for the Platinum like the Gold card? Thx
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I had a gold card many years ago (I would guess close to a decade ago), which I got for the bonus and then cancelled before the fee came due. I guess that was before they put in the language about clawing back the rewards - at any rate, my points are still there. Currently I have the everyday card and cash magnet. However, I got a flyer in the mail last week telling me I was preapproved for a welcome bonus if I upgraded my CM card (with payment of an annual fee, of course).

I barely use my everyday card and probably haven't used the CM at all this year. But they're both no fee, and I'm entirely within the terms of my card agreements. Maybe they're pissy because I'm not using my existing cards regularly - but I have better reward programs on other cards.
Right, but well, someone who churned for a bonus + doesn't use existing cards = not really AMEX's targeted customer. They like you to use their cards once you get past the bonus, they're very spend-centric (one reason they'll say you're ineligible for a signup is that you haven't used existing cards). It sounds like AMEX is a poor fit for your spend patterns outside the bonuses so no huge loss if you ditch them for greener pastures, I suppose.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:15 am
LAX

Originally Posted by danhouston
is purchase @ WMNM counted as grocery for the Platinum like the Gold card? Thx
I did a small trial purchase recently. It does appear to count for 10X grocery bonus. However, the way the bonus is posted with this promo, it's kind of confusing (at least to me). Thus, you might want to do a small trial of your own just in case unless others can chime in to confirm.

LAX
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, but well, someone who churned for a bonus + doesn't use existing cards = not really AMEX's targeted customer. They like you to use their cards once you get past the bonus, they're very spend-centric (one reason they'll say you're ineligible for a signup is that you haven't used existing cards). It sounds like AMEX is a poor fit for your spend patterns outside the bonuses so no huge loss if you ditch them for greener pastures, I suppose.
It's not a huge loss for me; the Chase Sapphire Reserve ticks most of the right boxes, and I already have and use the Freedom and use Chase as my main bank anyway. Ironically for Amex, with my travel picking up (hopefully) next year, I would have definitely made the platinum my go-to card. Whatever, I guess.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not a huge loss for me
That was what i was saying- it sounds like you have something good working for you at Chase. You might get a different answer if you start using your existing AMEX cards. They don't like extending signup bonuses to people who have a history of little spend on their existing AMEX cards- essentially this is their way of doing 5/24 anti-churning measures.

But if it doesn't make sense to use AMEX and Chase is a better fit for you, by all means do so, just realize that sock drawered AMEX cards that aren't used for spend will hurt you if you want future AMEX signup bonuses.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I did a small trial purchase recently. It does appear to count for 10X grocery bonus. However, the way the bonus is posted with this promo, it's kind of confusing (at least to me). Thus, you might want to do a small trial of your own just in case unless others can chime in to confirm.

LAX
what part is 'kind of confusing'? Thx
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:53 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by danhouston
what part is 'kind of confusing'? Thx
The charges at supermarkets are posted just like any charges, which are tagged with 1X MR. Then, in a separate entry, which is almost always on a different day, you get the 9X bonus. When you do multiple charges on successive days, it's hard to keep track of the bonus points. Not only that, I have found that when you make multiple separate purchases at the same supermarket on the same day, they sometimes lump the bonus together into one entry. Thus, you end up guessing which bonus corresponds to which purchase(s).

LAX
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:39 am

Maybe someone can help out. I tried doing the incognito mode even with a vpn….no luck only the 75k. What other tricks are you guys using? Does the browser matter or time of day?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:53 am
Community Director Emerita

I believe that AMEX doesn't want us buying gift cards. I've got the minimum spend done and the points are in my account. It would be part of our natural spend to buy gift cards for Christmas gifts at the grocery store. Currently that gives 10x bonus which would be a nice perk. Is this a no no with the AMEX card?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by pillcounter
Maybe someone can help out. I tried doing the incognito mode even with a vpn….no luck only the 75k. What other tricks are you guys using? Does the browser matter or time of day?
Not sure about time of day, but I had good success using my VPN changing location (Texas for some reason gave me 100k half the time). Of course, incognito mode.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:30 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I believe that AMEX doesn't want us buying gift cards. I've got the minimum spend done and the points are in my account. It would be part of our natural spend to buy gift cards for Christmas gifts at the grocery store. Currently that gives 10x bonus which would be a nice perk. Is this a no no with the AMEX card?
I suspect most people on FT won't respond to this question, as I asked a similar one in a different thread and got one response, which was essentially an accusatory post claiming my question would draw attention to Amex and subsequently lead to further clamp down. I think there is more than enough evidence that purchasing GCs of any kind for meeting minimum spend is a definite no. However, I can't imagine Amex would give you a hard time about buying an occasion $25/$50 third party GC as a small gift along with your regular grocery purchase (preferably more than the value of GC). I personally would stay away from prepaid Visa/MC as those are likely prime targets for MS (thus more likely to draw Amex's attention to the transaction). Lastly, proceed with caution and at your own risk as someone did point out the T&C does mention that GCs are not supposed to qualify for the bonus (even though many loopholes discussed here & on other blogs are supposed to be excluded per T&Cs).

LAX
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:20 pm

Amex 10x groceries & gas

Amex sent me a sign up bonus of 100k and 10x miles on gas & groceries. Can you buy amazon gift cards , etc while buying other groceries at the grocery store?

Last edited by Sabine H; Dec 5, 2020 at 12:32 am Reason: Mistake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.