Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ab2013
Currently seeing a 1x credit on my online statement.
Look under MR points activity section, not under the transaction itself.
It appears as bonus points under the title "135KMR_5kSpd_6Mon"
italdesign likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
I'm trying to apply for this card for my husband. (I'm a previous Amex platinum cardholder but he is not). I've tried the targeted 100K offer and the public Resy offer 75K offer with $300 restaurante credit. On both I'm getting a pop up that he's not eligible (not specfiic to having had the card before). He currently has one amex -- the no-annual fee Hilton card, which we haven't used in a long time but did recently make 1 purchase on it in the last week. I can't remember any others that we've cancelled or anything. What should we do? Use the Hilton Amex more regularly and check back in a couple of weeks? I'm hesitant to go through with the application with that pop up coming up. The public 75K offer does come up in his account under recommended cards but I haven't tried that one to see if we get the pop up as I was hoping to get one of the better offers.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:29 pm

Per FM's DP, I went ahead and gave it a shot. I last had the Platinum in 2015. Received no popup and approved. I plan to use it to pay property tax and insurance. Let's see if the 100k hits, and if so will be clawed back b/c of language.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:35 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by fangtl
Per FM's DP, I went ahead and gave it a shot. I last had the Platinum in 2015. Received no popup and approved. I plan to use it to pay property tax and insurance. Let's see if the 100k hits, and if so will be clawed back b/c of language.

The language in your application specifically said no bonus for previous card holders?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by exp
The language in your application specifically said no bonus for previous card holders?
Yes, standard once per lifetime language, which is consistent with FM's blog. It's gamble so we'll see.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Hi - a question. I called Amex today to ask a couple of questions about this offer, and clarify a few things about how the platinum travel benefits work in general, before pulling the trigger. However, the phone rep did not see this offer at all; she said the only offer available on platinum is 75,000 bonus points, no supermarket bonus. However, if I go online, it's there front and center on the webpage.

What's the reason for that? I've never had a platinum card before in any iteration. Also the phone agent didn't (as far as I know) have access to my name and account history, as I hadn't provided my social security number or existing account details.

Are offers different based on the channel you use to contact Amex? Or if I actually began the application process over the phone, would this offer suddenly pop up?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Hi - a question. I called Amex today to ask a couple of questions about this offer, and clarify a few things about how the platinum travel benefits work in general, before pulling the trigger. However, the phone rep did not see this offer at all; she said the only offer available on platinum is 75,000 bonus points, no supermarket bonus. However, if I go online, it's there front and center on the webpage.

What's the reason for that? I've never had a platinum card before in any iteration. Also the phone agent didn't (as far as I know) have access to my name and account history, as I hadn't provided my social security number or existing account details.

Are offers different based on the channel you use to contact Amex? Or if I actually began the application process over the phone, would this offer suddenly pop up?

Thanks!
Why not just apply online? Also check under your browser Private mode or chrome incognito to get the 100k-125k offer. Way better than 75k.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Why not just apply online? Also check under your browser Private mode or chrome incognito to get the 100k-125k offer. Way better than 75k.
I likely will end up doing it online; I'm just curious now as to why the agent didn't know what I was talking about, so I figured I'd ask those with a better understanding of how Amex works.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I likely will end up doing it online; I'm just curious now as to why the agent didn't know what I was talking about, so I figured I'd ask those with a better understanding of how Amex works.
It's the same as when you logged in Amex site it only shows 75k without other categories. When I login my wife account it shows 75k with no categories. She never had the Platinum either. Could be a special offer without advertising. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:33 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Try not to settle for the 75K offer unless it comes with the $300 restaurant credit (in addition to bonus MR for gas and grocery). It appears that the 100K offer is widely available. Plus, if you have never had any Amex card before, I have read that the 125K offer is not difficult to get through prequalify site (not sure what that is though).

Lastly, whatever offer you end up applying for, make sure you take screenshots of the offer in case there is any discrepancy down the road. Good luck.

LAX
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Try not to settle for the 75K offer unless it comes with the $300 restaurant credit (in addition to bonus MR for gas and grocery). It appears that the 100K offer is widely available. Plus, if you have never had any Amex card before, I have read that the 125K offer is not difficult to get through prequalify site (not sure what that is though).

Lastly, whatever offer you end up applying for, make sure you take screenshots of the offer in case there is any discrepancy down the road. Good luck.

LAX
Thanks. I've had several Amex cards over the years (currently have two), but never the platinum.

I was really just trying to understand whether there was a logical reason for the offers to differ by internet/phone channel, if the agent I spoke with just didn't know what she was doing, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:57 pm

100,000 Welcome Bonus

I applied for the Platinum card about a week ago after going through multiple browsers in incognito and normal mode on multiple devices. I got the 10X supermarket+gas station plus 100,000 points offer. I had the Schwab Platinum card before but I can't honestly remember if I had the regular Platinum. I didn't get a warning pop-up that I wouldn't get the signup bonus when I applied.

I've been getting the separate 9X bonus from grocery shopping (it appears with the code "K0YB:0012_135KMR_5kSpd_6Mon") and I spent more than the minimum $5,000 in total already (not just from grocery shopping; I made a large non-supermarket/non-gas station online purchase on Nov 21st to get me over the line). I've read that FreequentMiler got his 100,000 points as soon his big purchase hit his account - my big purchase already hit my account and I don't see the 100,000 points yet.

Is it possible to just qualify for 10X grocery+gas spending but not for the 100,000 points? If anyone has already gotten the 100,000 points, when did it happen? In my experiences with Amex, as soon as my spending exceeds the threshold, they give me the points immediately so I'm a bit concerned it hasn't happened this time.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was really just trying to understand whether there was a logical reason for the offers to differ by internet/phone channel, if the agent I spoke with just didn't know what she was doing, etc.
Even with Amex, you get phone reps that don't necessarily know everything. They're employees, not customers - they're not spending time hunting for the best sign up offer. And yes, sign up offers definitely vary depending on how and where you find them. That's why people recommend playing around with different devices, browsers, incognito windows, etc. if there is a known range of better offers out there. Part of it is marketing, if you stumble upon it and see an that's like "this offer is XX better than normal, apply now!" vs. somebody who goes to the Amex website daily already and is a customer already.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tarakcih
.... I've read that FreequentMiler got his 100,000 points as soon his big purchase hit his account ....In my experiences with Amex, as soon as my spending exceeds the threshold, they give me the points immediately so I'm a bit concerned it hasn't happened this time.
New account bonuses may post as soon as the threshold is crossed or they may post after the maximum time stipulated in the offer terms. (And that time is calculated from the statement date, not from transaction date.) Previous experience or other people's experiences, are not predictive. You just need to wait.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Even with Amex, you get phone reps that don't necessarily know everything. They're employees, not customers - they're not spending time hunting for the best sign up offer. And yes, sign up offers definitely vary depending on how and where you find them. That's why people recommend playing around with different devices, browsers, incognito windows, etc. if there is a known range of better offers out there. Part of it is marketing, if you stumble upon it and see an that's like "this offer is XX better than normal, apply now!" vs. somebody who goes to the Amex website daily already and is a customer already.
I submitted the application this morning online, and I got an error saying based on my history with Amex, I'm not eligible for the 100K bonus offer.

I wonder whether that's because I generally don't use my existing Amex cards that much.

It seems I'm eligible for the 75K plus supermarket bonus, so I'm going to try to get that over the phone and see what happens.

EDIT: And I'm apparently not eligible for the 75K bonus either, so that ends that. I have no idea why, but if Amex doesn't want my business, then I certainly have other card issuers that do. I guess I'll just drain my MR account once I'm back to booking travel and cancel my existing cards.

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Nov 27, 2020 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.