Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I haven't had a Platinum since 2009. I got the "you had this card, so no SUB for you, want to apply anyway?" popup when applying using this offer, letting me bail, so I guess they're going to check during the application process.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:57 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Oh that's what the popup says?

A few months ago, I applied for the Green card and got the popup but don't recall what it said.

But I waited about a month and then reapplied and went through no problem.

When I got the popup, pretty sure I had logged in so they knew who was applying, whether I was using VPN or Incognito or both.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Several
I checked the Amex site without logging in and see the 100K plus 10x gas and grocery bonus offer, but when I logged in it only offered me
75K bonus and no gas/grocery bonus.

Kinda bummed by this, but I’d prefer the Schwab version anyways.

I’ll probably hold out and wait until a targeted Schwab offer comes back around. I should be able to meet the first threshold for $100 off the AF then anyways.

edit: the offer I see when logging in gives 3 months for sub spending as well instead of the better 6 months seen before I logged in.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I checked the Amex site without logging in and see the 100K plus 10x gas and grocery bonus offer, but when I logged in it only offered me
75K bonus and no gas/grocery bonus.

Kinda bummed by this, but I’d prefer the Schwab version anyways.

I’ll probably hold out and wait until a targeted Schwab offer comes back around. I should be able to meet the first threshold for $100 off the AF then anyways.

edit: the offer I see when logging in gives 3 months for sub spending as well instead of the better 6 months seen before I logged in.
That's interesting. I have read reports of people getting 125K SUB after logging in to check prequalify offers.

LAX
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
Oh that's what the popup says?
No, that's a paraphrase. It was clear that they were blocking me as a past Platinum holder (obtained '05, held through '09, dumped because of Great Recession and some retrenching in personal finances, rejoined AMEX with a Green in January 2020).

Originally Posted by exp
But I waited about a month and then reapplied and went through no problem.
My problem is that Platinum is not the ideal long term hold for me with my current spending habits and benefit preferences vs. annual fee- it's actually Green/Gold as far as AMEX MR goes, based on current spend (I have both now). I'd have to fly a LOT more to make 5x airfare + $400 AF beat 3x all travel, even in normal times. Even the Schwab Platinum card pencils out as "meh, you'd be better off with Chase if you really want the flexibility to cash out at a good rate instead of transfer to airlines". (I also don't value domestic lounges, the AMEX portal and FHR highly enough to compensate for a $400 AF.)

As such I have a fine needle to thread between "good customer" and "popups forever, you lousy churner". This current offer was probably worth holding a Platinum that's not a long term keeper for a couple of years, and then disposing of it eventually in a way that won't upset the mighty algorithm. Since it appears I'm not eligible I'll steer for the Marriott Brilliant come January.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 15, 2020 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I haven't had a Platinum since 2009. I got the.... popup.....
That's unusual, because you closed the account more than 7 years ago, and the application screening database doesn't seem to go back further, even though other American Express records do. If confirmed by other reports it would alter our understanding of how the "lifetime" rule is implemented in software.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:09 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by mia
That's unusual, because you closed the account more than 7 years ago, and the application screening database doesn't seem to go back further, even though other American Express records do. If confirmed by other reports it would alter our understanding of how the "lifetime" rule is implemented in software.
I am assuming others are reporting accurately as I have read some reporting getting the pop up even though they have never had Plat of any flavor before. I have also read reports of some getting the pop up when they have had other Plat flavors before (ie: Ameriprise). I wonder if these pop ups are sometimes just "typical" computer errors. Now, I am not sure if it's worth the risk to spend $5K and still end up with no SUB.

LAX
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'm very interested in applying for this card. Never had a platinum card, so I assume I'm eligible for the bonus. My question to the forum: given the fact that covid will make travel largely a no-go for at least half of next year, does it make any sense to apply now? In a normal year, I'd get a fair amount of value from the 5x travel earning and the lounge access; the $200 credit would be a tougher nut to crack but I could presumably use at least some of that value. But if I won't get on a plane until maybe June at the earliest, is it maybe better to wait before taking out the platinum?

What do you all think?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm very interested in applying for this card. Never had a platinum card, so I assume I'm eligible for the bonus. My question to the forum: given the fact that covid will make travel largely a no-go for at least half of next year, does it make any sense to apply now? In a normal year, I'd get a fair amount of value from the 5x travel earning and the lounge access; the $200 credit would be a tougher nut to crack but I could presumably use at least some of that value. But if I won't get on a plane until maybe June at the earliest, is it maybe better to wait before taking out the platinum?

What do you all think?
Honestly people are just jumping on the gigantic bonus and worrying about the card later. If you never had the card, try to get thru browser private mode. You might get lucky and get 125k bonus since you never had an Amex card or even the 100k bonus. You'll still get the extra 10X bonus on grocery and gas for 6 months.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:42 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by trikotret
Honestly people are just jumping on the gigantic bonus and worrying about the card later. If you never had the card, try to get thru browser private mode. You might get lucky and get 125k bonus since you never had an Amex card or even the 100k bonus. You'll still get the extra 10X bonus on grocery and gas for 6 months.
Agreed. The 100K offer used to be rare, but now it almost seems like the "norm." I suspect when conditions for travel improve, the 100K offer will become rare again. So, if you don't think the extra 25-40K MR points (typical 60K-75K SUB) is worth the risk (minimal use of travel benefits for the next couple of months), then it may not be for you. For me, the extra 10x bonus clinched the deal even though I am still trying to figure out how to legitimately maximize it.

LAX
Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I know. I was a bit surprised myself, since it doesn't make sense considering my personal circumstances around my history with AMEX. I offer the data point as it stands.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mia
the pop up could be unrelated to previously having the Platinum card and more to do with his account status in general.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Here’s my situation. Based on FequentMilers data points, I decided to apply even though I had a vanilla platinum card back in 2015.

I got no pop up but the application was immediately rejected. When I went to the “check application status” page it said “please provide missing application information”. I tried to download the digital letter but it kept erroring out.

I feel this one isn’t meant to be for me.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:03 pm

Anyone know the timing on on getting a triple $200 airline credit? If I applied now and spent the $200 before the end of the year, then again in 2021, and then again in January 2022 (and then canceled the card), would I be able to get by with only paying the annual fee once?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
the pop up could be unrelated to previously having the Platinum card and more to do with his account status in general.
The language displayed by the popup matters. There are at least two versions. One based on previously holding the same card. Another based on the applicant's general history with American Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.