Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum USA 75k-125k MR + 10x grocery & gas + 20% dine credit (cap $300)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 6:35 pm

Got an e-mail offer for 20K MR to add an auth user. Anyone know if the auth user spending will earn the 9x grocery/gas bonus that I still have for a few months?
Old May 12, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Don't quote me but since their spending go into your account anyways, I say yes but confirm with the customer rep.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by spin2nd
I just received the same offer for 100k for a new Platinum and also actively hold a currently open and actively used Platinum. I was goofing off online and threw the info in and hit apply....I did not receive the 'you can't have the bonus' pop up. I'll see if the card actually shows up in the mail and call to see if the bonus is attached to the account....if not, I'll just cancel it immediately.
Following with interest... I also hold a personal Plat and received the same personalized offer for a personal Plat. I’d happily sign up again...
Old May 17, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
Following with interest... I also hold a personal Plat and received the same personalized offer for a personal Plat. I’d happily sign up again...
I checked with a rep via the chat feature (I asked what bonus was attached to my card) and they repeated back the offer verbatim so I'm cautiously optimistic...my work spending is really slow at the moment so it'll take me a couple of months to hit the spend, FYI.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It is not unusual for American Express to send targeted offers without excluding previous or current cardholders. They need to pump up the number of accounts for investor presentations.
Old May 20, 2021, 5:17 pm

I wonder if downgrading current Platinum to Gold and then applying for targeted offer would make a difference. Any data points on this? Thanks.
Old May 20, 2021, 5:51 pm
mia

Originally Posted by halamadrid
....downgrading current Platinum to Gold and then applying for targeted offer would make a difference.
Applying for a targeted offer that you received before downgrading? Make a difference in what respect?
Old May 20, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Applying for a targeted offer that you received before downgrading? Make a difference in what respect?
My thoughts were more about downgrading current platinum to Gold first and then applying for targeted offer for Platinum in terms of increasing the odds of actually getting the bonus. Also - and I guess I'm not sure on this part - in my mind they wouldn't approve a new platinum if you currently have it. There is no lifetime language or current holder language in the targeted offer. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:35 pm
mia

....- in my mind they wouldn't approve a new platinum if you currently have it......
This is not true, and holding a duplicate card has no bearing on the bonus unless the terms of the offer mention it.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is not true, and holding a duplicate card has no bearing on the bonus unless the terms of the offer mention it.
That's good to know. I'm still thinking about it I guess and don't know that just getting it because I can is a good reason since I'm not in dire need of the points. Thanks for clarifying.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:02 am
mia

.... don't know that just getting it because I can is a good reason .....
Agreed. I recently opened a Business Platinum, and now I have two targeted offers for Business Platinum and one for personal Platinum. I need to figure out how I would make the spend.
Old May 21, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
That's good to know. I'm still thinking about it I guess and don't know that just getting it because I can is a good reason since I'm not in dire need of the points. Thanks for clarifying.
They approved and sent the 2nd Platinum last week. Amex chat says they see the bonus on the account...time will tell on the bonus once I hit the spend.
Old May 21, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by spin2nd
They approved and sent the 2nd Platinum last week. Amex chat says they see the bonus on the account...time will tell on the bonus once I hit the spend.
I'm tempted as I have a some expenses coming and wouldn't mind getting the 100K points for them, plus the 10x on grocery spend. I have a little bit of time to think about it I guess. Thanks for sharing the data point.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by leadhead
Got an e-mail offer for 20K MR to add an auth user. Anyone know if the auth user spending will earn the 9x grocery/gas bonus that I still have for a few months?
When I added an auth user (a few years ago for a similar promo) the warning was that AU cards have their own 12 month expiration (to avoid clawback). If you are not planning to keep your Plat card after getting this SUB, you may end up having to face the $550 AF not being refundable, versus this 20k MR bonus.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:03 pm

Opened Personal Plat 6 months ago and just finished the 15K spend to max out the grocery store bonus, and along in the mail comes along another personalized offer for 100K + 10x up to 15K. I went ahead and applied, approved instantly, card coming in two days. No lifetime language in the contract, and no warning popup about lifetime bonus. Interestingly no credit karma alert about a credit pull alert either. Only 2 months of paypal credit, but still a heck of a deal. Also received the 40K bonus for 4K spend on Barclay silver aviator, so a lot of minimum spending at grocery stores coming up!

Oh, and the 100K upgrade to biz plat is still sitting as an offer on my biz cash. I may pass on that one, 3 plats does seem excessive and the 2x on blue cash business is sooo much better than the plat's offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.