Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Canada - AMEX Platinum cardholders still getting Aeroplus Platinum fee waived?

AMEX Canada - AMEX Platinum cardholders still getting Aeroplus Platinum fee waived?

Old Oct 28, 20, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

When AMEX Canada associated with Air Canada in 2004, introduced several Aeroplus cards.

One promotion was that if one had a AMEX Platinum card, one could get the AMEX Aeroplus Platinum cards with a fee waiver of the latter (ie 2 Platinum cards for the annual fee of 1 card). I was promised such a promotion- and that it would last as long as I kept both cards.

I do not know if this benefit was published, unpublished, or targeted.

See post #4 of this older AC AMEX thread:

AMEX Platinum

I seem to have lost this benefit.

I wonder if anyone else had been promised this benefit in 2004 and :

a) still retains this benefit

or

b) has lost this benefit.
Old Nov 1, 20, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Also see posts #10 and #14 of this thread:

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Reverse happended- Aeroplus Platinum fee paid and AMEX Platinum card fee waived.
Old Nov 3, 20, 5:03 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Had plat and aeroplat (charter member) until a month ago and only paid for Plat. With the new Aeroplan Reserve AMEX card upcoming I called in to ask if they would give me this new card for free (as long as I kept and paid for the plat). They said no and actually were surprised I was still getting the aeroplat for free. I decided to cancel the Aeroplat card at that time.
Old Nov 7, 20, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by augmented View Post
Had plat and aeroplat (charter member) until a month ago and only paid for Plat. With the new Aeroplan Reserve AMEX card upcoming I called in to ask if they would give me this new card for free (as long as I kept and paid for the plat). They said no and actually were surprised I was still getting the aeroplat for free. I decided to cancel the Aeroplat card at that time.
From what I understand, whether these are targeted offers or not,- they are unpublished benefits.

I have learned that the regular customer service reps (or their supervisors) - I deal wiht the Platinum line - or the people responding to chats - know nothing of these offers.
I believe it is at the level of executive customer service who know of these benefits?

I wonder if the Centurion customer service reps or their supervisors are familiar enough with this Platinum benefit - even though this is not relevant the Centurion card benefits?
Old Mar 3, 21, 9:53 am

Programs: AC *E
Angry Lifetime offer apparently isn't for a lifetime

Originally Posted by augmented View Post
I've been a "Charter Member" for the AeroPlat card and have never paid a fee since I've maintained my Plat card. Recently Amex sent me the new Aeroplan Reserve card (without any notice of course), with the same credit card number, and charged me a fee of $599. I called them and asked what happened to the "lifetime" offer. They claim that since Aeroplan changed the program so much they had to bring out a new card with different benefits and could no longer honour the "lifetime" offer. I told them this was not the level of service I expect from Amex, especially since I've been a cardholder for 43 years!

They eventually offered me one year free, but I have to pay the $599 now since it will take them up to 2 months to credit the fee. Not impressed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: