Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Card: 12 Months of Eats Pass for Free

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lax01
Just turn off auto-renew - its in the Eat Pass settings
THanks, didn't know it was an option.

Something weird was when I signed up last night it said it would automatically charge on 10/29/21 unless I cancel but when I turned off auto renew it said my membership will expire on 11/29.

I have a phone reminder set as well. I don't see this pandemic ending anytime soon so they may extend it.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
THanks, didn't know it was an option.

Something weird was when I signed up last night it said it would automatically charge on 10/29/21 unless I cancel but when I turned off auto renew it said my membership will expire on 11/29.

I have a phone reminder set as well. I don't see this pandemic ending anytime soon so they may extend it.
I noticed this as well and interpreted it to mean that this renews monthly.....so turning off auto-renew would prevent the AMEX benefit from automatically renewing after a month.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I noticed this as well and interpreted it to mean that this renews monthly.....so turning off auto-renew would prevent the AMEX benefit from automatically renewing after a month.
Checking again - I don't think so but will report back in a few days if the Eat Pass falls off my account and I (painfully) have to talk to Uber support
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:53 pm

nN case anyone was wondering the offer is available for Centurion via the UberEats app.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I do not have the Uber Eats app installed, but choosing Food in the Uber app displays an Uber Eats splash screen, and I can order food. Just curious if installing the separate Uber Eats app adds any features? I can try it to see, but if I knew what to look for it would be helpful.
I just got an Uber ride a few hours ago and out of nowhere the regular Uber app now shows UberEats on the home page and I'm still in Mexico. I guess the app has a mind of its own. I'll be in los Angeles in a few days and I'll be using the $10 monthly Uber credit that doesn't work down here. So, happy about that.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I do not have the Uber Eats app installed, but choosing Food in the Uber app displays an Uber Eats splash screen, and I can order food. Just curious if installing the separate Uber Eats app adds any features?....
In the main Uber app I see an ad at the bottom of the screen You're Invited to try Eats Pass free for 1 month, but when I tap it I see, Sorry, Eats Pass isn't available to you right now. I installed the separate Uber Eats app, and I was invited to activate the American Express 12 month Eats Pass.

The Uber Eats software also appears to be more polished than the version integrated into the main Uber app. For example, when using the Reorder feature to order from Starbucks, customized drinks need to be re-entered in the Uber app, but the Uber Eats app is able to submit the prior order including all options.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
In the main Uber app I see an ad at the bottom of the screen You're Invited to try Eats Pass free for 1 month, but when I tap it I see, Sorry, Eats Pass isn't available to you right now. I installed the separate Uber Eats app, and I was invited to activate the American Express 12 month Eats Pass.

The Uber Eats software also appears to be more polished than the version integrated into the main Uber app. For example, when using the Reorder feature to order from Starbucks, customized drinks need to be re-entered in the Uber app, but the Uber Eats app is able to submit the prior order including all options.
Very similar experience for me just now. I logged in to Uber Eats on my desktop, clicked the button for try Eats Pass for a month and got the same "Sorry" message. I went over to my Samsung phone and used the Uber Eats app -- all went smoothly and I've activated the 12-months free deal for Amex Plat cardholders. This is another valuable Amex Plat benefit for me, worth about $120/year because I probably would have signed up for Eats Pass even if I didn't have the card.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
So, this is my new issue😀 I still have a Mexico UberEats pass attached to my UberEats app. Now, I'm in Los Angeles and everytime I try to use that app to order it says I can't use the Mexico UberEats pass in this location. So, I removed the Mexico address, rebooted and it still says I can't use it.

So, then I went into the regular Uber car app and clicked on food and it allows me to order food using that 12 month Amex UberEats pass for the US. I haven't actually used it but plan to so I can also take advantage of the $15 monthly Uber credit and the $0.00 service fee while I'm in the states. Hopefully it all works. I'll report back.

On edit: It doesn't work. It still goes back to Mexico's UberPass and just gives a small % off the price and still have to pay delivery charges. Oh well. At least I get to use the $15.00 off Amex credit. I think the only way it will work is that I cancel the Mexican UberPass.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Nov 4, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
.... $0.00 service fee while I'm in the states. Hopefully it all works. I'll report back.
To be clear, the Eats Pass fully offsets the Delivery Fee and partially offsets the Service Fee.

Subtotal $15.60
Tax $1.10
Service Fee $2.34
Delivery Fee $0.49
Delivery Discount -$0.49
Discount -$0.78
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
To be clear, the Eats Pass fully offsets the Delivery Fee and partially offsets the Service Fee.
Thanks mia, I meant the delivery fee. It still shows up☹️ and the pass shows MXN (mexican pesos)😢 Oh well, I tried.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:23 pm

So, this is my new issue😀 I still have a Mexico UberEats pass attached to my UberEats app. Now, I'm in Los Angeles and everytime I try to use that app to order it says I can't use the Mexico UberEats pass in this location. So, I removed the Mexico address, rebooted and it still says I can't use it.

So, then I went into the regular Uber car app and clicked on food and it allows me to order food using that 12 month Amex UberEats pass for the US. I haven't actually used it but plan to so I can also take advantage of the $15 monthly Uber credit and the $0.00 service fee while I'm in the states. Hopefully it all works. I'll report back.

On edit: It doesn't work. It still goes back to Mexico's UberPass and just gives a small % off the price and still have to pay delivery charges. Oh well. At least I get to use the $15.00 off Amex credit. I think the only way it will work is that I cancel the Mexican UberPass.
Here's an order I was going to place, but no discounts because I can't use the UberPass.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:36 pm

I think I've solved this mystery. California doesn't have a "UberPass" discount.

FROM UBER:

An Uber Pass subscription gives you instant access to benefits including savings on rides and Uber Eats orders.

"When riding, you'll get 10% off each UberX, UberXL and Comfort trip and 15% off premium rides, including Black, Premier and SjUV. Additionally, you'll have access to a $0 delivery fee and 5% off Uber Eats orders. A $15 minimum order (not including taxes and fees) applies.

You can purchase an Uber Pass for $24.99/month and use it in cities across the United States (outside of California)."

US Uber Pass

Case closed.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Technically, to really be clear (and correct ), Eats Pass waives the delivery fee and gives 5% off orders of $15+ It does not, however, offer an explicit discount on the service fee.

https://about.ubereats.com/us/en/how...ber-eats-pass/

Of course, if your order is greater than $15 then you will see a lower service fee, but that is an indirect savings due to the 5% discount on order (the service fee is a percentage of the order total) not because Uber is explicitly lowering the service fee w/Eats Pass. So, for example, on an order less than $15 you would not see a reduced service fee.

Regards
mia likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Technically, to really be clear (and correct ), Eats Pass waives the delivery fee and gives 5% off orders of $15+ It does not, however, offer an explicit discount on the service fee.

https://about.ubereats.com/us/en/how...ber-eats-pass/

Of course, if your order is greater than $15 then you will see a lower service fee, but that is an indirect savings due to the 5% discount on order (the service fee is a percentage of the order total) not because Uber is explicitly lowering the service fee w/Eats Pass. So, for example, on an order less than $15 you would not see a reduced service fee.

Regards
Everywhere, except California 😂
Old Nov 4, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Everywhere, except California 😂
Worked for me and I live in SoCal.

I think there may be some confusion in this thread re: Uber Pass vs. Eats Pass.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.