Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Well this is interesting...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-g...ee-credit-2022

Beginning in January 2022, that Airline Fee Credit will no longer be available with the American Express® Gold Card. There aren’t any changes planned for other cards at this time, however, and both new and existing customers will be able to use the credit with the Gold Card through the end of 2021.

So, why the shift? It sounds like American Express has something else in the works, to offset the loss of that particular perk.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I don’t see them dropping the AF. I wonder what benefit/breakage they will add. I’m still debating canceling this card as it’s $250/yr for 2x more points on Groceries and Dining compared to the no AF BBP (up to $50k).
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:14 pm

Chances its something easier to use than $100 airline incidental? haha

Would be nice if it was food or restaurant related...but that seems semi-unlikely
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The airline fee credit is such a nightmare to use. My hope is that they put something on that is more practical, especially with the number of loopholes that the airlines have built into it.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
....number of loopholes that the airlines have built into it.
Do you mean the loopholes that have allowed us to use the credit for expenses that should not qualify for reimbursement under the terms? This benefit is not funded by the airlines, it's strictly an American Express promotion.

Announcing in 2020 that it will be removed from Gold in 2022 seems like a way to test the water for eliminating it from Platinum cards when travel recovers.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cfabar1
The airline fee credit is such a nightmare to use. My hope is that they put something on that is more practical, especially with the number of loopholes that the airlines have built into it.
I agree. I only was able to use the airline reimbursement fee this year because United reopened the travel bank. That’s actual value to me. But before that it was essentially only useful for buying snacks in flight which I otherwise wouldn’t do. I never check bags, but even if I did it makes no sense to prepay AMEX for it.

If they just double the grub hub credit from $10/mo to $20/mo (even if its $10 2x a month) that would be a huge win as almost all restaurants around me are on grub hub. I just hope whatever they add isn’t something that I wouldn’t otherwise purchase. I don’t want or need Lyft XYZ perk or DoorDash premium, or anything like that.

I’m reluctant to cancel my Gold card because I have 5 AUs and hoard AMEX offers. I was able to get $300 in Shop Small credits this year on my Gold card. I don’t think I’d be able to get 5 AUs on a different card as it’s really awkward to ask permission to add people to my account.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:49 am

It would certainly be an improvement to replace it with an AmexTravel credit (along the lines of what was offered as a one-time credit on the Platinum this year).
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Announcing in 2020 that it will be removed from Gold in 2022 seems like a way to test the water for eliminating it from Platinum cards when travel recovers.
Would be nice if they keep the current streaming and wireless credits on the Platinum and add one of those to the Gold, we can hope.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mhdena
Would be nice if they keep the current streaming and wireless credits on the Platinum and add one of those to the Gold, we can hope.
Wishful thinking, but I don't see that happening as that would $480 a year in benefit on a $250 card.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:21 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I would not have any use of any of the junk benefits like more Uber, Grabhub etc.... Gold is more for everyday use, not for travel use. So I'd expect benefits for streaming or cellphone credit like what AmEx offering with the Plat card.

Or one of our two Gold cards will be on the chopping block.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
It would certainly be an improvement to replace it with an AmexTravel credit (along the lines of what was offered as a one-time credit on the Platinum this year).
I am not familiar with an Amex travel credit that was offered for the Amex Platinum. I still have a portion of my AF reimbursement credit intact. Was there an additional benefit, besides the streaming and communications credits, that I missed?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dlnewbie
Wishful thinking, but I don't see that happening as that would $480 a year in benefit on a $250 card.
I said keep both for Platinum and one of those for Gold.
dlnewbie likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
I am not familiar with an Amex travel credit that was offered for the Amex Platinum. I still have a portion of my AF reimbursement credit intact. Was there an additional benefit, besides the streaming and communications credits, that I missed?
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/more-...travel-credit/

Yes, details in the link above.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Glad to hear something might be in the works. A good perk replacement could get me back interested in this product.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Thank you very much! I didn't see any notices of this benefit preciously. I am assuming that since my renewal falls inside of the post August 2020 period that I will be notified upon renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.