Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
It would be much more useful if Amex combines the two credits to a single credit, of say $15.
With all the fees that Uber Eats charges for each order, and the inflated price, even with the $15 Amex platinum credit, the out of pocket costs for 2 person lunch would be the same as if I order directly.
I usually do a pickup thru Uber Eats and GrubHub so that I don't have to waste the credit on delivery and service fees. With the $10 Gold credit and if you have the Plat then you will have a total $25 credit which you can easily use/maximize with a pickup order.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:34 am
Community Director Emerita

Is the Grubhub $10/month benefit going away on January 1? I had seen in the benefits just a day or two ago that "sometime in 2021" UberEats would offer a benefit. I don't find that statement today; only the standing benefit for Grubhub, Cheesecake Factory, and so forth.

An article published in FORBES in the last week states that the $10/month UberEats benefit will be added while the Grubhub benefit will remain. I don't necessarily consider that accurate, though it would be appreciated if it is.

Coming to the American Express Gold card in early 2021 is an additional $10 per month Uber credit, which can also be used on Uber Eats.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credi...very-services/
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is the Grubhub $10/month benefit going away on January 1? I had seen in the benefits just a day or two ago that "sometime in 2021" UberEats would offer a benefit. I don't find that statement today; only the standing benefit for Grubhub, Cheesecake Factory, and so forth.

An article published in FORBES in the last week states that the $10/month UberEats benefit will be added while the Grubhub benefit will remain. I don't necessarily consider that accurate, though it would be appreciated if it is.

Coming to the American Express Gold card in early 2021 is an additional $10 per month Uber credit, which can also be used on Uber Eats.

The Uber Eats mention is under Amex Offers and Benefits viewable on a desktop.

$120 Uber Cash Benefit

Starting in early 2021, American Express Gold Card Members will receive $10 in Uber Cash each month for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. That’s up to $120 in annual savings.

Add your Gold Card to your Uber wallet today, so you can take advantage of this benefit when it launches. Stay tuned for more details, including benefit launch date.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

no, 2021 will be a double-dip year. The $100 airline credit will go away for 2022 onwards. For 2021 it'll be $100 airline credit plus $10 a month each for Uber and 'dining'.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:50 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
no, 2021 will be a double-dip year. The $100 airline credit will go away for 2022 onwards. For 2021 it'll be $100 airline credit plus $10 a month each for Uber and 'dining'.
That's interesting. I am not a big spender, so I will need to figure out how to potentially squeeze in a Gold SUB while working on the Plat SUB I just picked up recently.

LAX
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Am I the only one that doesn’t like this change? I have found a use for the grub hub credit, but I don’t need Uber eats too.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Am I the only one that doesn’t like this change? I have found a use for the grub hub credit, but I don’t need Uber eats too.
I suppose its a mixed bag. Some people have been able to easily utilize the $100 airline credit while others had to jump thru hoops and the hoops kept closing down so it was becoming more and more difficult. Also given that now pretty much all US airlines have done away with change fee and such, the only viable expenses were seat selection and baggage fees (and pet fees etc if you could wing that) which is usually not something anyone with elite status would have to incur.

Personally for me, given that I already have $15 uber credit from the Plat, adding the extra $10 makes it easier to spend as you can do a decent dinner order for two as a pickup for 25 to 30 bucks.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by arshi007
I suppose its a mixed bag. Some people have been able to easily utilize the $100 airline credit while others had to jump thru hoops and the hoops kept closing down so it was becoming more and more difficult. Also given that now pretty much all US airlines have done away with change fee and such, the only viable expenses were seat selection and baggage fees (and pet fees etc if you could wing that) which is usually not something anyone with elite status would have to incur.

Personally for me, given that I already have $15 uber credit from the Plat, adding the extra $10 makes it easier to spend as you can do a decent dinner order for two as a pickup for 25 to 30 bucks.
I don't have any elite status with any airline, so this one was fairly easy for me to use (at least before Covid) as long as I could pick the right airline by the end of January.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:42 am

And I guess we've been seeing that Amex will give a break on the January deadline for selecting an airline.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

I am actually considering upgrading my Green Card to the Gold Card. Any idea how this works regarding pro-rating the annual fee?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:58 am
StO

If you've never had a gold card before it's almost certainly worthwhile to apply for the Gold card separately to get the signup bonus, then later cancel or product change the Green card.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StO
If you've never had a gold card before it's almost certainly worthwhile to apply for the Gold card separately to get the signup bonus, then later cancel or product change the Green card.
Meh. I don't really want to play these churner games. I did see there was an offer to upgrade. Spend X to get Y points.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I am actually considering upgrading my Green Card to the Gold Card. Any idea how this works regarding pro-rating the annual fee?
I already have a GOLD CARD, and Amex is basically offering $340 worth of credits for a $250 annual fee. $100 AIRLINE, $120 UBER, $120 GRUBHUB, so potentially it could have a negative annual fee depending on how you value things.

I also have a GREEN CARD, like you, that I am upgrading to GOLD, probably in a few days, since it'll have more value to me as a Gold Card. I paid $150 to renew the GREEN CARD in September, so Amex should refund approximately 2/3 of the annual fee ($100) and charge me 2/3 of the annual fee of the GOLD CARD ($170 GIVE OR TAKE).

I am also planning to buy a CLEAR gift card (use promo code HOLIDAY for an extra $50 off) tomorrow or Saturday, so I can utilize the $100 CLEAR CREDIT from the Amex Green before I convert to the Amex Gold. Then, I'll still be able to have CLEAR status on into 2022 when travel resumes.

I understand where you are coming from and support your decision to not apply for credit cards solely for signup bonuses/churner games etc, but if I was in your position I would apply as a new application, earn the signup bonus on the GOLD, and CONVERT your GREEN card to another GOLD. The signup bonus may come in handy for a future trip and having multiple GOLD cards for 2021, isn't a bad thing. You can always make changes in 2022. Good Luck.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Well, you still get all three credits for 2021. They may very well bring back the airline fee credit when travel starts up and/or the policies change.

I don't value the airline fee credit much if at all and would probably have kept my PRG if they had made the change earlier. I also value the Uber credit more than the existing limited dining credit.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I already have a GOLD CARD, and Amex is basically offering $340 worth of credits for a $250 annual fee. $100 AIRLINE, $120 UBER, $120 GRUBHUB, so potentially it could have a negative annual fee depending on how you value things.

I also have a GREEN CARD, like you, that I am upgrading to GOLD, probably in a few days, since it'll have more value to me as a Gold Card. I paid $150 to renew the GREEN CARD in September, so Amex should refund approximately 2/3 of the annual fee ($100) and charge me 2/3 of the annual fee of the GOLD CARD ($170 GIVE OR TAKE).

I am also planning to buy a CLEAR gift card (use promo code HOLIDAY for an extra $50 off) tomorrow or Saturday, so I can utilize the $100 CLEAR CREDIT from the Amex Green before I convert to the Amex Gold. Then, I'll still be able to have CLEAR status on into 2022 when travel resumes.

I understand where you are coming from and support your decision to not apply for credit cards solely for signup bonuses/churner games etc, but if I was in your position I would apply as a new application, earn the signup bonus on the GOLD, and CONVERT your GREEN card to another GOLD. The signup bonus may come in handy for a future trip and having multiple GOLD cards for 2021, isn't a bad thing. You can always make changes in 2022. Good Luck.
I don't see the $50 discount for Clear gift card on the website anymore. Also it takes you to a different website, egifter.com so I wasn't sure if it would even work for the $100 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.