Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mhdena
I said keep both for Platinum and one of those for Gold.
A $10/mo cell phone credit would be great for the Gold card. I don't mind a piecemeal benefit as it is usable and generic. Nobody wants Uber or pets.com credit. A $10 cellphone credit would be great -- I'd gladly move my phone bill to AMEX for that. They don't offer any cellphone protection so, right now, there's no reason to put that bill onto AMEX.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Funny, I actually just canceled this card because I felt like the benefits were pretty meh for the AF even with the airline fee credit.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean the loopholes that have allowed us to use the credit for expenses that should not qualify for reimbursement under the terms? This benefit is not funded by the airlines, it's strictly an American Express promotion.

Announcing in 2020 that it will be removed from Gold in 2022 seems like a way to test the water for eliminating it from Platinum cards when travel recovers.
Sort of.... For example, I think at the very least a seat in Comfort+ in Delta, which used to count, is hardly a “scam” on a consumer’s part. I wish it were as easy to use as the Saks credit - if I bill something to the card it is refunded. Whether the promotion is organized by American Express or in conjunction with another partner is frankly irrelevant. If I am being offered a credit to defray the cost of the annual fee, it needs to be easy to use. All the caveats Amex puts into the credit are designed to make it more difficult to offer the full value of the airline credit.

I actually wonder if eliminating it is more about making the Gold and Platinum cards more distinct... Gold more for the “everyday” consumer - gas, groceries, restaurants, etc. and Platinum for the travel consumer.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I have had the American Express Gold Card for nearly two years, with my annual renewal coming up in December. I love the points earning on restaurant dining. Unfortunately, since COVID-19 changed my restaurant habits and expenditures, I am planning to cancel the card. If I were dining out as much in the past, I would be keeping the card. My grocery expenditures are not much higher this year. The $100 airline credit was a pain to use (use, I did), but not having the credit is surely worse. I may get the Gold Card again, when I dine out more. Perhaps American Express will replace the $100 airline credit with $100 Saks credit ($50x2), like what is available on the Platinum card.
cfabar1 and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I actually wonder if eliminating it is more about making the Gold and Platinum cards more distinct... Gold more for the “everyday” consumer - gas, groceries, restaurants, etc. and Platinum for the travel consumer.
And Green is for...

(IMO it's a better travel consumer card for some travel patterns than Platinum- I would take 3x all travel including rail, public transit, parking over 5x flights/AMEX portal, 1x everything else for travel all day. It's not even close.)

Hmm, AMEX Gold is 3x flights right now... wonder if that goes away too. Imagine losing 3x flights for something like 3x online shopping for up to $2500 a quarter, or certain department stores...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 17, 2020 at 1:21 am
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
To me t;he “point” of the Platinum Card isn’t just about earning, it is about access... Access to club lounges, acces to FHR, Acces to elite tiers in hotels and allegedly rental car companies, combined with some things designed to make your travel allegedly easier (the Uber Credits, allegedly the airline credit, and the saks credit arguably so you can shop while you travel). You can earn far more with a Gold card in terms of MR value, Amex certainly knows that....I actually think for the right customer, having both the Gold & Platinum card makes a lot of sense.

The green card, I have never really understood, and I think the 3x points everywhere makes sense, however, if you’re in the Amex family, I think there are better ways to earn your hotel points which are always nice to have lying around.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
To me t;he “point” of the Platinum Card isn’t just about earning, it is about access... Access to club lounges, acces to FHR, Acces to elite tiers in hotels and allegedly rental car companies, combined with some things designed to make your travel allegedly easier (the Uber Credits, allegedly the airline credit, and the saks credit arguably so you can shop while you travel). You can earn far more with a Gold card in terms of MR value, Amex certainly knows that....I actually think for the right customer, having both the Gold & Platinum card makes a lot of sense.
Yep, AMEX could get rid of every single credit on the Plat and I'd still happily keep it. Certainly not the case for the Gold.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by conde
. Perhaps American Express will replace the $100 airline credit with $100 Saks credit ($50x2), like what is available on the Platinum card.
While Saks may be easier to use than an airline credit, I would prefer a streaming or cell credit.

In fact they can eliminate the Platinum Saks credit and keep both $20 streaming and cell credits as far as I'm concerned.
lax01 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
boooo. That's terrible news. Just as UA TB became available again. Well, another use in 2021

Hope they replace it with something good.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mhdena
While Saks may be easier to use than an airline credit, I would prefer a streaming or cell credit.

In fact they can eliminate the Platinum Saks credit and keep both $20 streaming and cell credits as far as I'm concerned.
If AMEX Platinum dumped all their BS credits (Uber, Airline, and Saks) and just kept the $20 streaming and cellphone credits, they’d be up $20/yr and we’d all be happier.

Of course, they’d actually be down because everyone would use $40/mo in credits.
cuthroat and mhdena like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
If AMEX Platinum dumped all their BS credits (Uber, Airline, and Saks) and just kept the $20 streaming and cellphone credits, they’d be up $20/yr and we’d all be happier.

Of course, they’d actually be down because everyone would use $40/mo in credits.
It is work to use the wireless credit - it takes time per month to use it - unless Uber...which is relatively easy. Airline and Saks also take work.

I don't know - there's no good options but I'm sure AMEX has the data to show how to maximize their profit on the vast population of users
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
If AMEX Platinum dumped all their BS credits (Uber, Airline, and Saks) ....
The Uber and Saks credits will end when Uber and Saks no longer pay for them. The airline fee reimbursement credit is different because the expense is borne by American Express.
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The green card, I have never really understood, and I think the 3x points everywhere makes sense, however, if you’re in the Amex family, I think there are better ways to earn your hotel points which are always nice to have lying around.
A card with a consistent good multiplier that I can use everywhere and gets lots of use has some advantages over a card that I am only using for one chain and sits in a sock drawer otherwise, such as when AMEX is figuring out when to put me in pop up hell.

It’s pretty obviously a response to CSR/CSP, and I would argue it beats the Brilliant for spend categories outside of Marriott itself pretty consistently (the Hilton cards are much closer).
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:30 am

I called today for a 4X posting issue, and it looks like they're not even trying anymore. For example, there are two restaurants in my area that post correctly when you dine in, but not when you order online. I was told that the Italian restaurant is posting as a Bookstore, and that the Burger restaurant is posting as a Restaurant, but that neither of them are eligible. I have noticed that in general, most things are posting correctly these days, but it sounds like I'm not using an Amex when I order out at those places anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It appears the replacement will be a pair of Uber (Eats) benefits:

Starting today [26 October 2020], U.S. Consumer Platinum, Gold and Green Card Members have access to a complimentary Eats Pass Membership for up to 12 months. Eats Pass is a monthly subscription through Uber Eats that offers unlimited $0 delivery fee and 5% off restaurant orders over $15 and $0 delivery fee on grocery deliveries over $30 in select markets - a value of up to $119 (typically $9.99/month). Card Members must enroll by December 31, 2021.
Starting early next year, The American Express Gold Card will provide Card Members with up to $120 annually ($10/month) in Uber Cash which can be used on Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. This builds on the Card’s existing benefits which include 4X Membership Rewards at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets on up to $25,000 in eligible purchases per calendar year, 3X Membership Rewards points on eligible airfare, and a $120 (up to $10/month) annual dining credit for spend with select merchants.
The $120 credit is similar to the $200 credit for Centurion/Platinum cardholders introduced in 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...it-2020-a.html

Read press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...n-Card-Members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.