Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mster
Is there a guide somewhere for maximizing the $120 grubhub / seamless dining credit? Can you combine multiple credit in the same order, use the credit towards grubhub+ membership etc.? Seems like the credit has a lot of potential - especially if you have a few of them between P1/P2 & plat/gold cards, but can't find a good write up for whatever reason.
Yes, the credit works towards Grubhub+. There’s unfortunately no way to string multiple credits together in one order. There is no dining credit on the Platinum card so if P1 and P2 both had their own AMEX Gold cards, the most you would get is $10 each per month. I can’t think of a reason to have multiple Gold Cards unless you are hammering that $25,000 grocery limit.
mster likes this.

Last edited by jags86; Jul 12, 2021 at 12:01 pm
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Grubhub+ is the way to maximize the monthly credit. It's $9.99 (plus sales tax), of which AMEX will reimburse $10.

Grubhub then provides you with a $10 monthly credit for pick-up orders and you pay no delivery fees on subsequent delivery orders for the month, as that's part of the Grubhub+ package.

So you get $10 in food, no delivery fees on subsequent delivery orders, and occasional random discounts for less than a dollar out of pocket.
mster, DrForce and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Grubhub+ is the way to maximize the monthly credit. It's $9.99 (plus sales tax), of which AMEX will reimburse $10.

Grubhub then provides you with a $10 monthly credit for pick-up orders and you pay no delivery fees on subsequent delivery orders for the month, as that's part of the Grubhub+ package.

So you get $10 in food, no delivery fees on subsequent delivery orders, and occasional random discounts for less than a dollar out of pocket.
So theoretically if P1 & P2 both had AmEx Gold cards then the best way to stretch the combined 2x $120 dining credits would be for P1 to buy Grubhub+ with Gold #1 then have P2 buy an order for pickup with Gold #2?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Is there a guide somewhere for maximizing the $120 grubhub / seamless dining credit? Can you combine multiple credit in the same order, use the credit towards grubhub+ membership etc.? Seems like the credit has a lot of potential - especially if you have a few of them between P1/P2 & plat/gold cards, but can't find a good write up for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by jags86
Yes, the credit works towards Grubhub+. There’s unfortunately no way to string multiple credits together in one order. There is no dining credit on the Platinum card so if P1 and P2 both had their own AMEX Gold cards, the most you would get is $10 each per month. I can’t think of a reason to have multiple Gold Cards unless you are hammering that $25,000 grocery limit.
I actually have a situation where we have two separate Gold cards (got one for my kid in college coz of the SUB and to help with the credit history) and you can use both credits on the same order by adding both cards to the same grubhub account. Then use one card to sign-up for grubhub+ which will give you the $10 pickup credit and grubhub+ membership. Then when you actually place the order, make it over $20 (which is what most useful orders are for us) and then it will first apply the $10 credit, and the balance charged to the second card. You will get the $10 reimbursed on the second card. This has been working well for us. Note that this only works for 2 cards, doesn't scale if you have more than 2 cards (like the Uber credit)
mster likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
I actually have a situation where we have two separate Gold cards (got one for my kid in college coz of the SUB and to help with the credit history) and you can use both credits on the same order by adding both cards to the same grubhub account. Then use one card to sign-up for grubhub+ which will give you the $10 pickup credit and grubhub+ membership. Then when you actually place the order, make it over $20 (which is what most useful orders are for us) and then it will first apply the $10 credit, and the balance charged to the second card. You will get the $10 reimbursed on the second card. This has been working well for us. Note that this only works for 2 cards, doesn't scale if you have more than 2 cards (like the Uber credit)
Isn't it an issue having a payment card linked to your account where the names (and potentially other billing info) don't match?

When you add payment methods on GrubHub there's no option to define the name / address associated with the card (it must assume that the name / address of the Grubhub accountholder is the billing info for all linked cards).
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:26 pm

Isn't it an issue having a payment card linked to your account where the names (and potentially other billing info) don't match?

When you add payment methods on GrubHub there's no option to define the name / address associated with the card (it must assume that the name / address of the Grubhub accountholder is the billing info for all linked cards).
Atleast for my case, the billing address on both the cards is the same. Seems like the name is not an issue. I suppose as long as grubhub can charge, they are ok
Old Jul 23, 2021, 4:00 am

So theoretically if P1 & P2 both had AmEx Gold cards then the best way to stretch the combined 2x $120 dining credits would be for P1 to buy Grubhub+ with Gold #1 then have P2 buy an order for pickup with Gold #2?
or if you have chase sapphire reserve, activate lyft pink, which gives you free grubhub+.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry

If you don't have the AMEX Platinum AND order food delivery often, this is a great plan. Otherwise, it is reaching to find value.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:07 am

I just looked into this and actually this seems to be a great way to utilize the $10/credit. Especially since I’d prefer to pay for my Grubhub orders with Grubhub gift cards I can purchase at a 12.5% discount, I never wanted to pay with the AMEX Gold in the first place.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jags86
I just looked into this and actually this seems to be a great way to utilize the $10/credit. Especially since I’d prefer to pay for my Grubhub orders with Grubhub gift cards I can purchase at a 12.5% discount, I never wanted to pay with the AMEX Gold in the first place.
How to you get the 12.5% discount on GH GC?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Lucas1
or if you have chase sapphire reserve, activate lyft pink, which gives you free grubhub+.
note that the gh+ membership with Lyft pink is not going to give you any of the credit so you will technically have two $10 credits left on two gold cards and will need to use two separate orders. So in this case, it actually makes sense to sign up and pay for gh+ thru one gold card instead of getting it free thru Lyft.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by SP03
How to you get the 12.5% discount on GH GC?
Slide App is 5%, plus 3% (sometimes 4%, sometimes 5%) at a cashback portal, plus 4.5% via Apple Pay and Altitude Reserve.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Uber sending out incorrect emails about Amex $10 not used up

I used my $10 Amex credit early in July. This past week I got two identical emails from Uber telling me to use my monthly $10 Amex credit before it expires. I contacted Uber and they confirmed that I've already used my July $10 Amex credit and that all I have in my account is gift card cash, which is what I expected. (They didn't comment on the bogus emails.)
Old Jul 25, 2021, 7:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I used my $10 Amex credit early in July. This past week I got two identical emails from Uber telling me to use my monthly $10 Amex credit before it expires. I contacted Uber and they confirmed that I've already used my July $10 Amex credit and that all I have in my account is gift card cash, which is what I expected. (They didn't comment on the bogus emails.)
The same happens to me month after month. It's aggravating.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just FYI--my most recent bill contained one of those "amendment to cardmember agreement" notices that has actual implications for points earning.

They are now specifically excluding convenience stores, big box stores, and meal kit services from the grocery bonus. This is interesting, because I have had varied results with meal delivery as far as points earning. Sometimes they count it as grocery (or dining), sometimes not. I just had a charge for Sunbasket that DID get the four points/$. But I guess that's coming to an end. I've noticed my Chase Freedom Flex DOES count meal kits as grocery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.