Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex personal Gold (USA) adds Uber benefits, drops airline fee credit in 2022.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just in case you want to use the Uber website for Uber Eats orders only (and have no intention of taking Uber rides), you don't even need the app at all to make this work.

Friday morning I went to the Uber website, signed up as a "Rider" (the only two options are "Rider" and "Driver"), then went to my Wallet and added my Gold card, a few minutes later when I went back to my Wallet is showed "$10.00" with no explanation but an arrow next to it, and when I clicked on the arrow it then said "$10.00 Uber Cash, Gold benefit, expires 2/28" or something close to that.

I then went to pretend to place an Uber Eats order for much later, and it automatically showed my payment as being $10.00 Uber Cash + my Gold card used for the remainder.

I never downloaded the Uber app and at this point I don't have plans to do so. (I don't do rideshare service rides, and I don't like using a small phone for figuring out what I want to order from a restaurant when I can do it on a nice big laptop screen instead.)

And when I looked at my email a few minutes after that, I saw tons of confirmation emails including about having activated my Uber Gold benefit and about having earned $10.00 Uber Cash.

Amex is not documenting any of this so far. Everything Amex has written claims you that need to not just use the app, but have to have the latest version of the app. But my experience shows that the app is not needed at all. And of course when I use the Uber website I'm automatically getting the latest version of the Uber website!
Thank you so much for this info. It wasn’t the case when I tried in November. I let a friend use my Uber benefit because I’d rather not have their app on my phone.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation airline fee tracker already gone!

Well, the airline fee credit may not be going away (for those who had the card before Feb 4) until 2022, but at least in my account the airline fee credit tracker is gone now. So without asking Amex and without keeping track of it for themselves, a Gold user apparently can't tell anymore how much of their fee credit remains or what airline they chose.

It seems that while Amex is leaving this credit until the end of the year, they want to "de-emphasize it", now that the Uber Cash monthly credit has been rolled out.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:00 am

$25 uber cr, but an overlooked code for $15 off of min $20 just expired! otherwise, a $40 order would have been free
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Have a question on this card, is it churnable? I'm looking for a card to sign-up and just get the bonus and 75,000 points looks great to me. I did read the terms and conditions about bonus points possibly being clawed back if you cancel within 12 months. But I assume if you have the card a full year then no problem?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No American Express card is churnable in the classic sense of apply > collect bonus > close > reapply for same card > collect another bonus.

If you open a Gold card, collect bonus, and close after 12 full months those bonus points will be safe, provided you have another card that earns Membership Rewards to keep the rewards account open. However, it may affect your ability to receive a bonus for other American Express cards: Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
No American Express card is churnable in the classic sense of apply > collect bonus > close > reapply for same card > collect another bonus.

If you open a Gold card, collect bonus, and close after 12 full months those bonus points will be safe, provided you have another card that earns Membership Rewards to keep the rewards account open. However, it may affect your ability to receive a bonus for other American Express cards: Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Thanks for your response. Yes, I should have not used the word "churn", as I would like the bonus points and most likely won't keep card after 1 year.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:19 pm

I finally tried to use this stupid credit for the first time on Uber Eats. I had to enter and exit a few times to get the credit to show - it was showing on the Uber app, but not the Uber Eats app, even though the account and wallet are the same.

I am doing pickup so no extra fees.....BUT the prices Uber Eats is charging is exactly $1 more than the price they charge if you go in person.

Ended up being $9.59 with tax so whatever.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Don't forget to sign up for Eats Pass--another free Amex benefit. That'll give you a 5% discount, so that helps to compensate somewhat.

E.T.A . . . at least for the 12 month free trial. And be sure to uncheck the auto renew so that you don't get charged after the trial period.
jamesinclair likes this.

Last edited by hotturnip; Apr 12, 2021 at 4:40 pm Reason: Add time limit
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This card is on the chopping watch. The Citi Premier has the 3x TY points on dining, grocery and most travel. And the fee is much lower. Also no AmEx "lifestyle"....
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Used Ubereats today to place a restaurant pickup order. Upon arrival the restaurant refused to bring the prepaid meals out to the designated pickup area because I used Ubereats to order. They said if I ordered via Toast they would have brought the food out to the car. Well, Toast doesn't have coupons and promos, and Ubereats does. Does this sound like a T&C violation?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
This card is on the chopping watch. The Citi Premier has the 3x TY points on dining, grocery and most travel. And the fee is much lower. Also no AmEx "lifestyle"....
The Citi Premier used to have 3x TY points on "most travel", but they just got rid of it. Now the only travel Premier gives 3x on is hotels, airfare, and gas, IIRC.

Also, while the fee "on paper" is lower, if you can use both the general dining $10 monthly credit (that includes Grubhub/Seamless) and the UberEats $10 monthly credit every month, that adds up to $120x2=$240, which is just $10 shy of the $250 annual fee on the Amex Gold card.

In contrast, the Premier has no "easy" credit for dining, so to me it's a $10 effective fee on the Amex Gold compared to a $95 actual fee on the Citi Premier. So to me the Premier card has the higher effective fee.
IndyHoosier and arshi007 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:11 pm

Has anyone held an AMEX PRG in the past, and then got the sign up bonus for the newer AMEX Gold card? I chatted with a rep who couldn’t find my PRG on my account history, and said I would be eligible, but we know how reliable that can be… Looking for any actual data points. My PRG was closed in July of 2016, so almost five years ago.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by entmodonata
....I chatted with a rep who couldn’t find my PRG on my account history,....
Rather than asking if the rep can find a specific card, consider asking them to list every card that you have held. This may help you see how far back their database starts. We do have "some" reports of approvals with bonuses "four" years after closing, rather than "seven". It should be a low risk proposition, because a popup should appear during the online application process if you are not eligible for a bonus (for various reasons). No system is perfect. No decision is 100% risk free.
DrForce and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Rather than asking if the rep can find a specific card, consider asking them to list every card that you have held. This may help you see how far back their database starts. We do have "some" reports of approvals with bonuses "four" years after closing, rather than "seven". It should be a low risk proposition, because a popup should appear during the online application process if you are not eligible for a bonus (for various reasons). No system is perfect. No decision is 100% risk free.
That’s a great idea. I did just this and they didn’t have record of my PRG. I suppose it’s worth a shot! Thank you.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:32 am

Is there a guide somewhere for maximizing the $120 grubhub / seamless dining credit? Can you combine multiple credit in the same order, use the credit towards grubhub+ membership etc.? Seems like the credit has a lot of potential - especially if you have a few of them between P1/P2 & plat/gold cards, but can't find a good write up for whatever reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.