Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion members - do you cut to the front of the lounge line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion members - do you cut to the front of the lounge line?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:13 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I’ve not seen any separate lines, so I’ve always just waited patiently. I am not above anyone else because I have this credit card that is becoming less valuable and useful and yet more expensive as time goes on.

That said, if there were a separate line, like most here have stated, it would be nice to use it and not offend anyone by doing so.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion.... ETC.
I’ve been to multiple lounges where there was a centurion member sign at the front desk where the line was empty. On several occasions, when I’ve tried to go to the front of the line towards the centurion sign, I’ve been told not to be rude and wait in line. In one instance, when I told them that I had a black card, they said that doesn’t mean you’re any better than everyone else waiting patiently in line. I tried to explain that I was simply going to the centurion line, and she told me that it’s people like you that think you’re better just because of the color of your card. And then everyone in line started to agree with her and scolded me. I just left and went to another airport restaurant.

Originally Posted by b8b
I’ve not seen any separate lines, so I’ve always just waited patiently. I am not above anyone else because I have this credit card that is becoming less valuable and useful and yet more expensive as time goes on.

That said, if there were a separate line, like most here have stated, it would be nice to use it and not offend anyone by doing so.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by superstar
I tried to explain that I was simply going to the centurion line, and she told me that it’s people like you that think you’re better just because of the color of your card. And then everyone in line started to agree with her and scolded me.
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their [card] but by the content of their character."
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
On several occasions, when I’ve tried to go to the front of the line towards the centurion sign, I’ve been told not to be rude and wait in line. In one instance, when I told them that I had a black card, they said that doesn’t mean you’re any better than everyone else waiting patiently in line. I tried to explain that I was simply going to the centurion line, and she told me that it’s people like you that think you’re better just because of the color of your card.
To be clear, was this the AmEx attendant at the check-in desk who scolded you? Or just other people in line?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:16 am

The AMEX attendant stated it first, and then people in line smirked and followed by scolding me.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
To be clear, was this the AmEx attendant at the check-in desk who scolded you? Or just other people in line?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The AMEX attendant stated it first, and then people in line smirked and followed by scolding me.
That seems absolutely ridiculous. Please send AMEX a complaint about this treatment.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hoe you reported this. Even if you should have stood in line, it's highly inappropriate for the receptionist to encourage other customers to cause an embarrassing scene. [IMO it's also very surprising that an AmEx Centurion lounge employee or contractor would behave this way.]
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Wow...

I’m shocked the attendant made the comments...I also probably would have stood my ground with the agent.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Over the years I have been shoved out of the way by a large number of men who apparently think that "women don't fly first class". I always make a point of publicly embarrassing them if possible! One jerk who was literally knocking people out of his way while screaming I AM IN FIRST was my seat mate. I quizzed him to see if there was a "prize" for hitting me on his way on the plane. He had the grace to apologize. I didn't have the grace to accept it, I just stared at him, pulled on my headphones and ignored him. The FA thought this was so funny she gave me a bottle of wine to apologize for my "subpar gate experience"
While there is no excuse for rudeness, the airlines share some of the blame in the unpleasantness of the boarding process. Southwest does it best.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I’ve been to multiple lounges where there was a centurion member sign at the front desk where the line was empty. On several occasions, when I’ve tried to go to the front of the line towards the centurion sign, I’ve been told not to be rude and wait in line.
I wonder what an agent that said such a thing would say as to what they thought the purpose of the Centurion Member sign on the desk was? This may be a training issue. If an agent didn't know that Centurion members were supposed to be able to be served directly at that sign, then it might seem to them that such a member was being rude by trying to cut in line. But such an agent, or any cardmember in line that felt the same way, would have to have a theory as to what the purpose of that sign was other than to invite Centurion members to approach it for service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:43 pm

It could be training, but I just think the attendants want to feel good about themselves. The most problematic lounges were the old DFW and LAS. DFW now seems ok since there is not much room after you get off the elevator and you do have to wiggle your way through the line to get the centurion sign, so I just wait in line. At LAS they are definitely not helpful and you get judged for having the card. I also always get called out for sitting at the centurion reserved seats and most of the time I’m asked to move to another part of the lounge since this area is reserved for centurion card only. They don’t even ask to see the card. I usually don’t say anything back to them and I move to another area just so I can let them feel like they have some authority and power.

Originally Posted by Steve M
I wonder what an agent that said such a thing would say as to what they thought the purpose of the Centurion Member sign on the desk was? This may be a training issue. If an agent didn't know that Centurion members were supposed to be able to be served directly at that sign, then it might seem to them that such a member was being rude by trying to cut in line. But such an agent, or any cardmember in line that felt the same way, would have to have a theory as to what the purpose of that sign was other than to invite Centurion members to approach it for service.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
It could be training, but I just think the attendants want to feel good about themselves. The most problematic lounges were the old DFW and LAS. DFW now seems ok since there is not much room after you get off the elevator and you do have to wiggle your way through the line to get the centurion sign, so I just wait in line. At LAS they are definitely not helpful and you get judged for having the card. I also always get called out for sitting at the centurion reserved seats and most of the time I’m asked to move to another part of the lounge since this area is reserved for centurion card only. They don’t even ask to see the card. I usually don’t say anything back to them and I move to another area just so I can let them feel like they have some authority and power.
Why not tell them you are a Centurion member?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: Various
I've never had a problem with this, maybe I'm lucky that there hasn't been much of a queue to check-in at the lounge - though a growing group of people stood outside or in the reception area waiting for their turn to enter per the waitlist which can cause some comedy scenes when I'm let straight in, especially if I have my infant son with me in his stroller. I will walk towards the Centurion check in section intentionally if there is a queue though and no one has ever said anything to me negatively. Definitely seen some tantrums from other customers though about the waitlist scenario though.

At my home airport of SEA, the staff do know me as they have a small set of regulars and always take care of me, my wife and infant son. A couple of times in non-SEA locations, I've had attendants come up to me and tell me the reserved tables are only for 'black card holders' I make light of it.with a 'I have multiple Centurion cards, do I get multiple tables?' response as I know they are doing their job and I probably didn't fit the normal demographic for a Centurion customer. I think the mini Centurion tag on my laptop bag helps avoid some situations too.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and Gasolin like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
I've never had a problem with this, maybe I'm lucky that there hasn't been much of a queue to check-in at the lounge - though a growing group of people stood outside or in the reception area waiting for their turn to enter per the waitlist which can cause some comedy scenes when I'm let straight in, especially if I have my infant son with me in his stroller. I will walk towards the Centurion check in section intentionally if there is a queue though and no one has ever said anything to me negatively. Definitely seen some tantrums from other customers though about the waitlist scenario though.

At my home airport of SEA, the staff do know me as they have a small set of regulars and always take care of me, my wife and infant son. A couple of times in non-SEA locations, I've had attendants come up to me and tell me the reserved tables are only for 'black card holders' I make light of it.with a 'I have multiple Centurion cards, do I get multiple tables?' response as I know they are doing their job and I probably didn't fit the normal demographic for a Centurion customer. I think the mini Centurion tag on my laptop bag helps avoid some situations too.
As a Platinum cardholder I don't understand how anyone could object to Centurions getting priority, sign or no sign. I find it bizarre that any lounge staff could try to shame a Centurion cardholder for going to a specific line. There are reserved tables for Centurions, why wouldn't you guys get priority treatment?
SPN Lifer, dayone, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:21 pm

Are you Centurion card holders waiting in line at the Centurion Club?

Are you Centurion card holders waiting in line to access the Centurion Lounge when their is a long line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.