Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex closed my credit cards for verbal abuse of their rep?

Old Sep 16, 20, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am shaking amex just closed my account when I called they connected me over to the corporate office who said my account has been closed for alleged abusive behavior toward their representative amex regularly reviews calls and deemed that my account has been closed due to alleged verbal abusse i done for life with amex does anyone know what can be done?
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:15 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Did American Express describe the behavior in sufficient detail for you to recognize the incident, or do you think (for example) that someone called American Express and impersonated you to try to gain access to your account or information?
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zahavalag123 View Post
I am shaking amex just closed my account when I called they connected me over to the corporate office who said my account has been closed for alleged abusive behavior toward their representative amex regularly reviews calls and deemed that my account has been closed due to alleged verbal abusse i done for life with amex does anyone know what can be done?
Were you being an [insert derogatory word]?
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I dont think I called and saud anything abusive i think someone impersonated me is there something I can do about it
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I tried swipping my card today and I got declined after contacting amex they connected me over to their corporate office and the corporate office told me that they reviewed an audio transcript that I had with a representive and founf that I acted in a very abusive manner toward the representative which prompted them to shut down my account. Is there any possibility I can get them to reopen I am not sure if in the last few weeks I spoke to amex and acted improper If I did is there anything I can do about it? such as writing an apology lettter getting them to reopen, Or if I feel that it someone called up and impersonated me can i have amex reopen my cards? thank you for taking the time to help with this matter
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
I dont think I called and saud anything abusive i think someone impersonated me is there something I can do about it
Well that person would have had to have your personal info like your acct number and/or be calling from one of your phones that's listed with amex.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I tried swipping my card today and I got declined after contacting amex they connected me over to their corporate office and the corporate office told me that they reviewed an audio transcript that I had with a representive and founf that I acted in a very abusive manner toward the representative which prompted them to shut down my account. Is there any possibility I can get them to reopen I am not sure if in the last few weeks I spoke to amex and acted improper If I did is there anything I can do about it? such as writing an apology lettter getting them to reopen, Or if I feel that it someone called up and impersonated me can i have amex reopen my cards? thank you for taking the time to help with this matter
In your other thread, quoted above, you said the bolded part. You aren’t sure? Seriously? How can you not be sure if you spoke to them or or not or if you acted improperly? Man up, own what you most likely did and don’t insult our intelligence with the impersonation crap. Just accept the consequences of your actions, maybe try writing a sincere apology and hope for the best. You would be better served by telling us what you did and we can then offer advice as to whether you have a chance.
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

your right I should man up but I am not really sure as to what triggered this I am trying to recall if I said anything offensive or not nice to a representive and I dont think I did leading me to believe that someone impersonated me as i really cannot recall doing such a thing
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
i done for life with amex does anyone know what can be done?
Find another lender? AMEX is well within their rights to close an account if it isn't done for reasons not allowed by law (racism, etc.)- abusive behavior towards customer service representatives isn't a proscribed reason for them to terminate a business relationship. In fact a credit card issuer can decide to close your accounts because they feel they're overextended lending, and they decide to cull your accounts, even if you have a perfect payment record.

Presumably they have tapes (which is how they would review calls) so I'd be a bit careful about dialing up a lawyer and trying to sue.

Also, "I am not sure if in the last few weeks I spoke to amex" means you do not recall having made any phone calls, but you might have? Or do you and you don't believe you said anything improper?
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
zahavalag123 How come you cannot recall the conversation you had? They reviewed an audio transcript, and I find it hard to believe AMEX would side with the employee without the words being really really harsh. I mean, what can you possibly say on the phone to a credit card company employee at the end of the day, right?

If you *think* someone called and acted up that way with the AMEX employee, then you should try to understand from AMEX:
  • When did the call occur? From which number? And match it up with your own phone records from the number that you have allegedly called
  • How did AMEX identify you? Was it through the phone number, personal identifiable information (date of birth, passcode, ...)?
  • Were you under influence? Otherwise, you have to remember this kind of interaction

The last possibility is maybe what's happening here: you personally don't think your words were abusive. That's fine, but AMEX is completely entitled to consider your words as abusive and you not considering them so doesn't change the reality for the rest of the world. With audio transcripts, I don't think there's much to do but you should double check the above if you have any doubt.
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:10 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Judging by the username, I'm assuming this is the same incident reported in the other popular major travel blog's forum. Try to apologize via executive office if the relationship has been long and fruitful. Otherwise, call it a day, learn the lesson, and move on.
BRAISKI and Gasolin like this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:22 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Moderator action

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
In your other thread,....
I have consolidated posts into this thread.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:57 am

It boggles my mind what some people get themselves into. If Iíve had a few too many I donít think ďhmm let me call up American ExpressĒ would be on any list of things to do.

And if I didnít have a few too many I usually have a pretty good reason to call because I never want to get on the phone with anyone, let alone a credit card company.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
It boggles my mind what some people get themselves into. If Iíve had a few too many I donít think ďhmm let me call up American ExpressĒ would be on any list of things to do.

And if I didnít have a few too many I usually have a pretty good reason to call because I never want to get on the phone with anyone, let alone a credit card company.
Absolutely this. OP, are you saying you don't remember calling Amex, or you don't remember what you said when you spoke with Amex?

Was this shortly after happy hour? I suspect they will have washed their hands of you unless it is a case of impersonation (seems unlikely unless someone really wanted to get back at you, and you can prove this, which will be an uphill struggle).
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:50 am
mia

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
....impersonation (seems unlikely unless someone really wanted to get back at you, and you can prove this, which will be an uphill struggle).
Periodically there are reports of unauthorized transfer or redemption of miles or points. One way this is accomplished is by calling the program and impersonating the account holder. Bullying the customer service agent to deviate from security protocol is part of the skill set. American Express knows this, and in this instance they seem to have concluded that the account holder made the call, but we shouldn't dismiss other possibilities, just because they are outside our personal experience.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: