Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
I feel like I am being a little bit dense as I read this thread (and the terms on the Amex website) so I'd appreciate help understanding this one: is this an immediate statement credit of $200 once you spend $200, or is this a $200 credit against a future travel purchase in addition to the purchase that earned you the credit in the first place? In other words, if I buy a $300 ticket right now through the Amex portal, do I get an immediate $200 statement credit, rendering the cost of this ticket to be $100? Or am I given a credit of $200 which I then have to use against a second, future purchase of another flight (or other travel expense)?

Thanks for the assist.
Once you buy the ticket you will be reimbursed the $200 within a few days.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Any DP on if FHR triggers the credit?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Xavier110
As longs as it's on amextravel.com it does. I got mine on FHR bookings.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xavier110
It did for me, on a prepaid stay.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:56 pm

As a point of reference, I renewed my Plat card in March 2020 before AMEX was offering an additional $200 travel credit for bookings through them. I reached out via chat to see if they'd be willing to give me that offer and they quickly said yes and no problem. Despite this being a terrible year, that was a huge positive that I'm thrilled AMEX extended me and I'll come out far net + $$ for my platinum this year as a result of all of their offers.

While I miss the lounges and travel aspect, this card for me has huge value still. Bravo Amex.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:03 am

So after the annual fee posts to the account, you can use the travel credit, wait for it to credit you back then close the card for an annual fee refund? Or do they claw back the $200?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
So after the annual fee posts to the account, you can use the travel credit, wait for it to credit you back then close the card for an annual fee refund? Or do they claw back the $200?
I don't know if we have any data points on that, but in my case the $200 travel credit was available at the start of the month in which my annual fee was charged. The annual fee posted in the middle of the month. I doubt there would be any clawback if you cancel after the credit posts, but no guarantees.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
October is my anniversary month and this morning, the tracker appeared in my account.
Another data point for people whose anniversary month is in early 2021-- my anniversary month is in February and on my November PDF statement that just cut (so three months in advance) I received the disclosure that was referenced earlier in this thread about the credit.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dw
Another data point for people whose anniversary month is in early 2021-- my anniversary month is in February and on my November PDF statement that just cut (so three months in advance) I received the disclosure that was referenced earlier in this thread about the credit.
Thanks. My AF posts in January, and there is no notice on my October PDF. Will check again in a few days when the November statement becomes available.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:21 pm

Anniversary month was September - no $200 benefit. Chatted with CS and they said nope as well. I never really gotten anything from AMEX in general lol
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have two Platinums (don't ask). One renewed in June or July and has the $200 credit -- I got a 30K MR retention for it. The other renewed in October and doesn't have the credit. Got 50K MR retention on that one. Don't really know how they determine which gets what.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thanks. My AF posts in January, and there is no notice on my October PDF. Will check again in a few days when the November statement becomes available.
Just checked, no notice on my Nov statement. Bummer.

They’d better offer me a retention bonus in January.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
That bonus was listed for me, and I had not heard anything about it. So I bought a prepaid hotel last night, and now that bonus has mysteriously vanished! I'm really peeved, I would not have bought it otherwise and I will call tomorrow.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:20 pm

Expiration Date

Does anyone know if 12/31/2021 is a hard expiration date, or contingent on account staying open?
My next AF will be due in April or May, and I may decide not to renew at that time.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Does anyone know if 12/31/2021 is a hard expiration date, or contingent on account staying open?
My next AF will be due in April or May, and I may decide not to renew at that time.
T&C: "To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner."
MaxVO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.