Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I stand by the assertion that if an agent tells you, firmly, in writing you are eligible for a promo/credit, that Amex will then honor it. Of course, doesn't mean it won't be a pain to have to request and much easier if you just get it automatically.
That might well be true, but like you say, it might require the cardholder to call back to ask that the credit be applied when it's not done automatically. Probably a good idea to save a screenshot of a chat or write down the date/time of the call with a CSR.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I keep reading about this but haven't seen anything on my account. My AF will come due in December. Assuming I renew I'll get a $200 credit with amex travel? Is that how this works?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have copied the terms of the offer from post 35 to the Wikipost.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I keep reading about this but haven't seen anything on my account. My AF will come due in December. Assuming I renew I'll get a $200 credit with amex travel? Is that how this works?
It might work that way for you, but we are seeing some get the offer and some don't. Maybe mark your calendar for Dec. 1 to see if it shows up on the welcome screen when you log in (see my post above for what it looks like).
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
OK...so I asked. And the result is..yes! Thanks for suggesting. <snip>
Congrats, that is great news! Important reminder that it certainly never hurts to ask/check.

Though I still think there is a little risk here. As dhuey showed a screenshot of the benefit tracker, which my account clearly does not show. The fact the Amex when to the trouble of creating a benefit counter/tracker, to be included on accounts that have the offer, is meaningful and noteworthy. If you don't see that in your account, it would give me pause for sure...

Regards
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Has anyone actually gotten the credit yet? I made an eligible purchase early last week and the tracker on my account said I was good. Statement closed today and still no actual credit. Most offers seem to end up posting once the statement closes if they haven't already but this one isn't a normal offer so was wondering.

I am aware that they have 90 days to post per the terms.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mloradites
Has anyone actually gotten the credit yet? I made an eligible purchase early last week and the tracker on my account said I was good. Statement closed today and still no actual credit. Most offers seem to end up posting once the statement closes if they haven't already but this one isn't a normal offer so was wondering.

I am aware that they have 90 days to post per the terms.
August 1st made a purchase. August 5th received the credit.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
August 1st made a purchase. August 5th received the credit.
Thanks, I chatted with a rep and he said I'd definitely get it. Just poor design of the tracker IMO. It shouldn't say you've gotten the credit until you have.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mloradites
... Just poor design of the tracker IMO. It shouldn't say you've gotten the credit until you have.
AmEx trackers are a preview feature for impatient customers. When a credit or benefit is already visible in the account, nobody needs a tracker to tell them the same thing. But trackers can also be useful when a benefit is collected in increments.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
October is my anniversary month and this morning, the tracker appeared in my account.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:05 am

My anniversary month is Oct too, but I don't see the tracker
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Racky
My anniversary month is Oct too, but I don't see the tracker
We still don't have clarity on this, but if you don't see a tracker and you haven't gotten an email about it, my guess is that your account does not have the $200 Amex Travel credit at this point. You could call and request it, or you could use Amex Travel for a booking and see if a credit shows up down the line. If no credit appears, you could call and request a statement credit retroactively. The benefit (for those who have it) doesn't expire until the end of 2021, so there's no urgency unless you're planning on canceling your card before then.
Racky likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I had the new benefit box show up on the right side of the online site. Booked a hotel stay on the Amex travel portal with it, made the stay, tracker said congrats on using it. Took a few days afterwards for the credit to post to my account. Pretty slick.

Still have not used flight credits for 2020 though.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I feel like I am being a little bit dense as I read this thread (and the terms on the Amex website) so I'd appreciate help understanding this one: is this an immediate statement credit of $200 once you spend $200, or is this a $200 credit against a future travel purchase in addition to the purchase that earned you the credit in the first place? In other words, if I buy a $300 ticket right now through the Amex portal, do I get an immediate $200 statement credit, rendering the cost of this ticket to be $100? Or am I given a credit of $200 which I then have to use against a second, future purchase of another flight (or other travel expense)?

Thanks for the assist.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
I feel like I am being a little bit dense as I read this thread (and the terms on the Amex website) so I'd appreciate help understanding this one: is this an immediate statement credit of $200 once you spend $200, or is this a $200 credit against a future travel purchase in addition to the purchase that earned you the credit in the first place? In other words, if I buy a $300 ticket right now through the Amex portal, do I get an immediate $200 statement credit, rendering the cost of this ticket to be $100? Or am I given a credit of $200 which I then have to use against a second, future purchase of another flight (or other travel expense)?

Thanks for the assist.
As people already have the credit tracker loaded to their accounts (and thus - by inference - the credit itself is available), I'm presuming it's an immediate statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.