FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2025074-targeted-200-amex-travel-credit-personal-platinum-use-6-30-2022-a.html)

woodford02A May 6, 2020 8:17 am

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Creating a thread to discuss this new AMEX promo during COVID-19

As reported by Doctor Of Credit, the Amex Platinum will be getting a $200 Amex Travel credit later this year:
  • This will be valid between August 2020 and December 2021
  • This will be valid for the personal version of the card only, and only for those who renew their card between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020
  • A statement credit of up to $200 can be earned after an eligible travel purchase is made through American Express Travel

https://onemileatatime.com/amex-plat...travel-credit/

Open questions at time of writing:
  1. Does this apply to all AMEX plat cardholders that renew their card between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020 or is this targeted?
  2. Is this in place of or in addition to the $200 airline fee credit?
  3. Are those that accepted a retention bonus eligible?
  4. Does the credit only become available after you renew? (i.e. if I renew in October 2020, then the credit shows up...or is it immediately as of August?)

mia May 6, 2020 8:37 am

Moderator action

I will close this, at least for now, because there are already a dozen posts discussing this benefit in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post32350245 starting at post 152.

Global Adventurer Aug 1, 2020 7:00 am

I just booked a Delta flight today on Amex Travel, and hopefully I receive the $200 travel credit, per their email. I wouldn't use that lousy site any other time but took a chance for the credit.

radiolarian Aug 1, 2020 3:50 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I logged in and found details on the new Platinum $200 travel credit. Guess everyone is covered now, even though some people will be waiting a while for their credit to become active.

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

notquiteaff Aug 1, 2020 6:46 pm

According to DoC the $200 travel credit has been extended to additional more card holders

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/more-...travel-credit/

mia Aug 1, 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32574940)
According to DoC the $200 travel credit has been extended to additional card holders

I do not see any evidence in the article to support this claim, and I see the opposite in the terms pasted into one of the comments: Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. I think the change is the extension of the renewal date from 12.31.2020 to 3.31.2121.

AeRoSpaceman Aug 1, 2020 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32574974)
I do not see any evidence in the article to support this claim, and I see the opposite in the terms pasted into one of the comments: Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. I think the change is the extension of the renewal date from 12.31.2020 to 3.31.2121.

I might be wrong but I think the poster meant that "additional" card holders are now eligible for the new dates who were not part of the first April thru July credit??

mia Aug 1, 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 32575002)
I might be wrong but I think the poster meant ....

Likely, but there is potential for confusion because American Express uses the term Additional Cardholder rather than Authorized User for supplementary cardholders on an account.

notquiteaff Aug 1, 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32574974)

Additional card holders as in members who previously had a renewal date outside the announced renewal time window. E.g..my card renews in January, and I was previously not eligible. Now it appears I do qualify:

Earlier this year it was announced that American Express Personal Platinum cardholders that renew their card by December 31st, 2020 would receive a $200 AmexTravel credit. The terms have been updated and now state that this will be available for cardholders:
  • For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020.
  • For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

(bolding added)

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 32575002)
I might be wrong but I think the poster meant that "additional" card holders are now eligible for the new dates who were not part of the first April thru July credit??

Yes, the poster (me) meant exactly that. Sorry for any confusion. I have changed additional to more.

notquiteaff Aug 2, 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot (Post 32575827)
Does the travel have to be completed by 12/31/2020 as well or just booked by then (for future travel)?

the T&C in a DoC comment include this:

Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s).”

I would guess the travel date doesn’t matter.

PrivatePilot Aug 2, 2020 10:05 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32575915)
the T&C in a DoC comment include this:

Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s).”

I would guess the travel date doesn’t matter.

Ah missed the 2021 part. So definitely all good then. Thanks!

abk Aug 2, 2020 12:01 pm

I renewed on June 2nd and my card is a Schwab card. I haven't received any emails concerning this nor do I see it when I look at my account and at my benefits on the website. I am wondering whether this is still a limited offer or available to everyone and if so where do you see it on the website?

MaxVO Aug 2, 2020 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 32576348)
... I am wondering whether this is still a limited offer or available to everyone and if so where do you see it on the website?

The Amextravel benefit is targeted, but I'm not sure what qualifications are needed. My AF was billed in April, and so far I didn't get that benefit either. Perhaps it matters what other retention offers we got.

GundamWing01 Aug 4, 2020 1:58 am

Originally Posted by radiolarian (Post 32574682)
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I logged in and found details on the new Platinum $200 travel credit. Guess everyone is covered now, even though some people will be waiting a while for their credit to become active.

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

where do you see this? i assume personal plat home screen under "HOME"? not under "BENEFITS" or "REWARDS" right? everyone is talking about a tracker on the right below the MR points total on the home page. i see nothing. i assume everyone is pretty much "targeted". maybe the rollout will be slow.

im hoping to use this credit for airfare like booking WN, but you cant online at AmexTravel.com, looks like you have to call in. i assume you could cancel the flights after booking through an amex agent and get the TF. anyone have experience doing this via amex travel? but i believe theres a ridiculous agent booking fee of $40+ per ticket. not sure. or i may just do prepay FHR amextravel.com for 5x MR. sounds much easier.

Diplomatico Aug 4, 2020 8:05 am

Originally Posted by abk (Post 32576348)
I renewed on June 2nd and my card is a Schwab card. I haven't received any emails concerning this nor do I see it when I look at my account and at my benefits on the website. I am wondering whether this is still a limited offer or available to everyone and if so where do you see it on the website?

I also have a Schwab Plat....no emails either. However, the .pdf version of my June statement contained the information regarding the travel credit so I presume I'll be receiving it.

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 32576571)
The Amextravel benefit is targeted, but I'm not sure what qualifications are needed. My AF was billed in April, and so far I didn't get that benefit either. Perhaps it matters what other retention offers we got.

From the information on my June statement:

"For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through December 2020, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month."

Have you checked since 1 August?