Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:46 pm

Not Targeted

I just got done chatting with CSR on the chat feature. Was told that I was not targeted for the $200 travel offer. Frustrating because I called last month about cancelling and was not given any retention offers. I've been struggling with this large AF, particularly because none of us are getting the travel benefits from the card. I don't want to cancel, because I know I'll get that benefit again when we travel. It's just so hard to justify $550 for my family. Not getting this credit definitely does not make me feel valued across my other 4 Amex accounts.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by tls62pa
I just got done chatting with CSR on the chat feature. Was told that I was not targeted for the $200 travel offer. Frustrating because I called last month about cancelling and was not given any retention offers. I've been struggling with this large AF, particularly because none of us are getting the travel benefits from the card. I don't want to cancel, because I know I'll get that benefit again when we travel. It's just so hard to justify $550 for my family. Not getting this credit definitely does not make me feel valued across my other 4 Amex accounts.
If you're confident that you were promised that benefit during the retention call, and it made you renew your membership, call the Plat line again and ask them to review the tape. AmEx typically honors what sounds like a promise. I don't think they care how not being targeted makes you feel, so I'd skip that argument.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tls62pa
I also did not receive any retention offers on my personal platinum after numerous calls right before and after my annual fee hit in July. I did get the $200 travel offer though and see the ticker on the website. Not sure how they are deciding who qualifies. As a DP I had a little over $50k spend on it and have a DL PL card that is not used that much anymore.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sw52387
you can can cancel/change directly on southwest website and get travel funds without calling amex.
The issue will be that AmexTravel will get a notification from southwest that the flight was cancelled. Which will make it possible for Amex to claw back the credit (or worse).
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by thehimalayas
The issue will be that AmexTravel will get a notification from southwest that the flight was cancelled. Which will make it possible for Amex to claw back the credit (or worse).
Shouldn't be a concern if the money goes into SW travel funds. With that, AmexTravel merely sees that the traveler had a change of plans. If there is any potential issue, it would be with a cash refund, as that would show up as an Amex credit for the cardholder.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone use the travel credit on an FHR booking yet?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
Anyone use the travel credit on an FHR booking yet?
pretty sure it would work the same as the DP below. FHR is integrated into amextravel.

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The $200 Amex Travel credit was posted to my account today.

8/1 Purchased one-way ticket on Amex Travel
8/1 Transaction pending under Delta Airlines Atlanta
8/3 Transaction posted under American Express Travel Chicago
8/5 $200 credit posted under Delta Airlines Atlanta
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are people seeing the $200 travel credit tracker on the "benefits" tab of the website, where the airline fee tracker is?

I got an e-mail a couple months with everyone else saying I would get this benefit and more details were coming in August, but I have no details and nothing on the website to indicate the offer. I chatted with an agent who didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but then said it would show up in October. Not sure what to make of that.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doppy
I chatted with an agent who didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but then said it would show up in October. Not sure what to make of that.
Is October your renewal month? The fine print of this offer indicates it is active beginning in your renewal month. If your renewal month was earlier in the year, it’s active immediately. Mine is December, so I trust all the kinks will be worked out by then, and yes notice of it was on my statement a couple months ago.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Do we yet know if the new $200 AMEX travel agency credit will be in addition to, or in lieu of, the typical $200 airline fee credit for 2021?

I am trying to decide what to do with my AMEX Plat for my upcoming renewal cycle. I got a retention offer last year so I doubt I get another one this year. As I am not traveling at all and might not resume anytime soon, I might downgrade the card to a gold or green card. I renew in October.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Do we yet know if the new $200 AMEX travel agency credit will be in addition to, or in lieu of, the typical $200 airline fee credit for 2021?

I am trying to decide what to do with my AMEX Plat for my upcoming renewal cycle. I got a retention offer last year so I doubt I get another one this year. As I am not traveling at all and might not resume anytime soon, I might downgrade the card to a gold or green card. I renew in October.
It's in addition. It's a travel credit for all modes of travel on AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL website. The airline credit is separate and for only incidental fees for your selected airline.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
It's in addition. It's a travel credit for all modes of travel on AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL website. The airline credit is separate and for only incidental fees for your selected airline.
It's also important to note that the offer seems to be targeted. For example, my renewal is this month and I'm not targeted for this additional $200 travel credit. I did receive a very generous retention offer last year so that might play a role in the situation.

The point though is it's only above and beyond the airline credit if one is in fact targeted and clearly not everyone is.

Regards
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
It's also important to note that the offer seems to be targeted. For example, my renewal is this month and I'm not targeted for this additional $200 travel credit. I did receive a very generous retention offer last year so that might play a role in the situation.

The point though is it's only above and beyond the airline credit if one is in fact targeted and clearly not everyone is.

Regards
Absolutely correct. It's totally targeted.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Regards
I received a notification of the new offer for $200 AMEX travel credit on my June statement, similar to what krazykanuck describes his experience above. Does that indicate I am targeted and will receive the offer, or is it "wait and see" when your renewal pops up?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I'm not targeted for this additional $200 travel credit. I did receive a very generous retention offer last year so that might play a role in the situation.
It could, but my hunch is that this offer is funded by Orbitz, which operates Amex Travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.