Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
$200 reimbursed

Booked a stay with Amex FHR on 1/13.
Got the $200 credit on 1/19
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:48 am

1/14 DL ticket purchased
1/19 tracker shows $200 used

Fwiw I tried non-FHR hotel on Amex travel website on 1/7, cancelled it on 1/14 and bought a DL ticket instead. Idk which triggered it, suspect the DL ticket as the timing is consistent with things like airline credits. I also noticed the DL ticket coded as American Express TrachicagoIL while the prepaid hotel coded as Amextravel.com
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
I have an interesting scenario perhaps someone can explain. My renewal date is end of January...so per the T&Cs, my $200 travel credit eligibility begins on my renewal date.

About 2 weeks ago, I charged 3 tickets (less than $100 each) on SWA for a total of $211.50. A few days later, I received 3 separate airline fee reimbursements totaling $200 (SWA is my selected airline for the airline fee credit).

Last week, I charged 2 tickets for $70.98 each on SWA. And I reserved and rented a car for $48.32 (via amextravel)...I reserved the car via amextravel because I thought I qualified for the $200 travel credit because the "Receive a $200 Travel Credit" window was on amex page.

Today, I see that the "Receive a $200 Travel Credit" counter is at $190.28 received with $9.72 to go! I believe the $190.28 is from the two $70.98 SWA ticket and the $48.32 rental car. But I haven't actually received the credit nor am I supposed to. Thoughts?
Update: I received $190.28 credit today. I don't know why I received credit.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...charged 2 tickets for $70.98 each on SWA.....Thoughts?
I have a speculative thought. If I understand correctly, WN tickets cannot be booked through Amex Travel in the usual sense. It may be that the system saw Southwest tickets billed in close temporal proximity to an Amex Travel hotel booking, and "assumed" that these airline tickets had been arranged by Amex Travel.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mia
I have a speculative thought. If I understand correctly, WN tickets cannot be booked through Amex Travel in the usual sense. It may be that the system saw Southwest tickets billed in close temporal proximity to an Amex Travel hotel booking, and "assumed" that these airline tickets had been arranged by Amex Travel.
I suppose but I didn't my renewal is in a week so I didn't qualify per the T&Cs.

Update: I received $190.28 credit today. I don't know why I received credit.
I rented a car directly from Hertz on the 19th, and today the tracker says "Congratulations! You've received $200 in travel credits".
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, AMEX Plart, CSR
I took advantage of the credit in december. Today the offer reappeared on my home page with a 12/31/21 expiration. NaN received NaN to go.

just the site/system glitching?
Old Jan 23, 2021, 10:02 pm

I still have not received credit for a flight I purchased on Amextravel on 1/12. Am i still within the "norma" timeframe?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Retale_88
Data point: AMEXTravel charge on 11/26/20, no credit as of yet nor change on the "$200 tracker." Will update when it posts.....
Well, I sure am thankful for the fact that AMEX saves your previous chats in the same box as the one when you got to start a new chat (just scroll up). So I figured it's been almost 60d since posting, and I know it says it could be up to 90d, but let me just chat and see if they tell me something other than the canned answer of "Please allow 90d for credit."

[Slightly edited for brevity, except those portions which are within quotations]
Me: Hi - I'm looking for a $200 credit to post, I made AMEXTravel purchase back on Nov 26.
AMEX: Oh yes, let me check....... OK, your card was eligible from Jan 1 so any charge prior to then do not qualify. You have until Dec 31 2021 to use the credit.
Me: Please scroll up in this chat window and see what I was told back on Nov 6 when I wanted to cancel the card. I made a travel purchase specifically via AMEXTravel because of this benefit. I would have booked elsewhere had I not expected credit.

Backstory - I opened a chat on Nov 6 to cancel the card. I was reminded of all the benefits such as this nifty $200 AMEXTravel credit, "starting August 2020." Which I actually was not aware of at that time. At that point, I told the rep I wasn't soo swayed and she again touts the $200 credit: "I completely follow you however that is the reason we have added $200 travel credit which can be used when you book travel." Ultimately, she sweetened the pot with the popular 50K MR points offer and I took it. Back to today's chat, which I'm sure you can see where this is going....

AMEX: "Yes, I have read that and this benefit was started from August 2020 however your card was eligible from Jan 1st 2021 ( it depends on various factors) however I can assure you that if you will make an eligible charge till 31st Dec, you will receive the Amex travel credit."
Me: Wait what?! How does it depend on various factors. That rep clearly used the travel credit as a benefit to keep me as a cardmember AND she clearly states it started Aug 2020. This is not acceptable.
AMEX: I do understand your point, let me see what I can do.
....minutes pass....
AMEX: Ok I have checked with my manager and we can offer $100 goodwill credit. And you can still use your $200 credit for 2021.
Me: No, this is not acceptable. I was told $200 as of Aug 2020, this is clearly in writing. I expect you to make this right. You can take away the credit for 2021, I don't really care.
AMEX: I understand, let me check with my manager. I am trying my best
Me: Yup, make it happen
AMEX: I spoke to my manager, we will place a $200 goodwill credit on the account.....you'll see it in 3-5 days.

So there you go. Pretty unbelievable that I was clearly "sold" this benefit in writing and it took a LOT of pressure and 20 minutes of my time to get them to do the right thing. I guess we should consider my data point an outlier.
bedelman likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:47 pm

Well, I sure am thankful for the fact that AMEX saves your previous chats in the same box as the one when you got to start a new chat (just scroll up)...
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had a similar "promise chat" sometime in September, but haven't tried to use the benefit yet. As part of that chat, the Agent even offered me to use it as proof of eligibility. I have no trackers or any other indication of eligibility, but copied and saved that chat with time stamps and everything.
bedelman likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:08 pm

Well, I sure am thankful for the fact that AMEX saves your previous chats in the same box as the one when you got to start a new chat (just scroll up)..
This was extremely helpful for me. I called when I didn't see the credit posted and they had to do an investigation (I couldn't remember if I was told on phone or chat about the $200 credit) and I looked back through this and there it is!

Thank you!

Last edited by mia; Jan 27, 2021 at 2:18 pm Reason: Prune quotation,
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:06 am
Suspended

I wasn't targeted (no offer email, no offer on account webpage). Does anyone have experience calling Amex and petition for this offer?
BTW, my Amex Platinum card is Schwab brand.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I am on chat right now because i did not see the credit offer pop on up on travel portal and noe they are telling me that i do not qualify
i thought this was for all plat cardholders taht renewed?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
i thought this was for all plat cardholders taht renewed?
No, as mentioned in the Wikipost, this is a targeted offer. Broadly targeted, but not everyone is eligible.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mia
No, as mentioned in the Wikipost, this is a targeted offer. Broadly targeted, but not everyone is eligible.
yea slowly learning the hard way that amex is not targeting me for a loot of stuff apparently
i was really looking forward to this after renewing my card.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I take it Delta is a popular choice for the selected airline given the requirement to fly Delta to enter SkyTeam lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.