Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass
Or was there just 1× $200 credit per primary account?
This. It's a 1x $200 credit that became available starting on the first day of your renewal month and expires on 12/31/2021.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This. It's a 1x $200 credit that became available starting on the first day of your renewal month and expires on 12/31/2021.
Ok. Thank you!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Retale_88
Data point: AMEXTravel charge on 11/26/20, no credit as of yet nor change on the "$200 tracker." Will update when it posts.....
Any luck? Was it a hotel purchase?

I made a pre-paid hotel purchase a week ago but the tracker isn't even showing it. I even confirmed with a rep my card is eligible just to be certain. I'm wondering if I should cancel and do an airline ticket instead, I really don't want to hassle with Amex about this months down the road.

Last edited by 49penguins; Jan 14, 2021 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by 49penguins
Any luck? Was it a hotel purchase?

I made a pre-paid hotel purchase a week ago but the tracker isn't even showing it. I even confirmed with a rep my card is eligible just to be certain. I'm wondering if I should cancel and do an airline ticket instead, I really don't want to hassle with Amex about this months down the road.
Yes a hotel purchase, still no reimbursement nor change in the tracker.
49penguins likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:08 pm

Data point: AMEXTravel Hotel charge on 1/9/21. No credit as of yet. No change on the "$200 tracker." Will update if it posts.
49penguins likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
Amex travel $200 promo same dates for me on DL ticket. Bought Dec 31 and credit posted Jan 5. Amex reps aren’t familiar with this
did it go pending as a charge from DL at first?

I abandoned my pre-paid hotel and am lucky enough to have a DL flight coming up so giving this a shot

ETA: charge posted as Amex

Last edited by 49penguins; Jan 17, 2021 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by whataidiot
Data point: AMEXTravel Hotel charge on 1/9/21. No credit as of yet. No change on the "$200 tracker." Will update if it posts.
UPDATE: Credit posted today!
49penguins likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Contacted AmEx. This offer so far is "targeted" per se. But eventually almost all Plat cardholders will be "targeted" at some time. Here is that AmEx said:

"please do not worry as this might also take some time but once it is added you will get the notification on this offer. "

So I figure it is just a matter of time.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RedSun
Contacted AmEx. This offer so far is "targeted" per se. But eventually almost all Plat cardholders will be "targeted" at some time. Here is that AmEx said:

"please do not worry as this might also take some time but once it is added you will get the notification on this offer. "

So I figure it is just a matter of time.
The targeting pertains to your anniversary date. A sample email was shared in post 121; I received this in early December (I think my renewal month is February) as part of a larger email titled "Your Platinum Card® offers new savings on holiday shopping, takeout, and more"
When you’re ready to travel, get up to $200 back

In appreciation of your Card Membership, when you renew your Platinum Card® in 2021, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits on eligible travel purchases with your eligible Platinum Card by 12/31/2021 when you book through American Express Travel.*

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
The targeting pertains to your anniversary date. A sample email was shared in post 121; I received this in early December (I think my renewal month is February) as part of a larger email titled "Your Platinum Card® offers new savings on holiday shopping, takeout, and more"
When you’re ready to travel, get up to $200 back

In appreciation of your Card Membership, when you renew your Platinum Card® in 2021, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits on eligible travel purchases with your eligible Platinum Card by 12/31/2021 when you book through American Express Travel.*

I'm not sure about the clear pattern. AmEx kept is vague. I have two Plat cards. As the AmEx rep said, I do not worry about this. We do not have much use of it right now. Better to get this offer later.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm not sure about the clear pattern. AmEx kept is vague. I have two Plat cards. As the AmEx rep said, I do not worry about this. We do not have much use of it right now. Better to get this offer later.
IMO the language in the footnote is very clear. But I agree that time will tell and we can just wait and see what happens or not.

EDIT: granted, it does say "for eligible card accounts" which could mean not everyone will be targeted.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
IMO the language in the footnote is very clear. But I agree that time will tell and we can just wait and see what happens or not.

EDIT: granted, it does say "for eligible card accounts" which could mean not everyone will be targeted.
I would not make such strong statement. Per AmEx rep, it seems all eligible Plat cardholders will get the offer, just a matter of time.

The AmEx rep knew exactly what I asked him. And he kept it vague to some extent.

As to the footnote, I have one card in the first period, no offer since Aug-2020. Second card in the second period, no offer either. So I'll just ignore the "footnote" and trust the AmEx rep more.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I would not make such strong statement. Per AmEx rep, it seems all eligible Plat cardholders will get the offer, just a matter of time.

The AmEx rep knew exactly what I asked him. And he kept it vague to some extent.

As to the footnote, I have one card in the first period, no offer since Aug-2020. Second card in the second period, no offer either. So I'll just ignore the "footnote" and trust the AmEx rep more.
AMEX rep's know little to nothing about these issues

Example:
Three weeks ago I bought airline ticket $201.00(Dec 31) first two AMEX rep's told me unto 90 days for credit.
Then called again for different issue and AMEX rep advised typically 2 weeks and he could manually adjust if not available by then.
Then "MIA" answer that AMEX travel is Expedia and they probably do batch updates causing longer delays.

BINGO : Jan 5, 2021 - credit appeared........so in the end only 5 day delay but no AMEX rep's was tuned into the process only read general guidelines.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by euromannn
AMEX rep's know little to nothing about these issues

Example:
Three weeks ago I bought airline ticket $201.00(Dec 31) first two AMEX rep's told me unto 90 days for credit.
Then called again for different issue and AMEX rep advised typically 2 weeks and he could manually adjust if not available by then.
Then "MIA" answer that AMEX travel is Expedia and they probably do batch updates causing longer delays.

BINGO : Jan 5, 2021 - credit appeared........so in the end only 5 day delay but no AMEX rep's was tuned into the process only read general guidelines.
This is completely wrong.

With almost all AmEx "offers" or "credits", AmEx always adds languages to allow 90 days, 4-6 weeks, 6-8 weeks for the credit to post. All AmEx reps follow the same procedure. They can't control how quickly the credits get posted and they want to play safe. A lot of the credits get posted within a couple of days, like the Saks, Gold dining credit, last year's $20 mobile/streaming and the $30 Paypal credit. This $200 travel credit is a new one and DPs vary.

Those below are all credited in a couple of days:

Saks credit: Please allow 2-4 weeks after an eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account.
Gold Dining credit: You'll receive a statement credit covering up to $10 on a monthly basis, typically 2-4 weeks after your purchase

Paypal credit: Please allow up to 12 weeks after the eligible purchases are charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Card Account.

Last edited by RedSun; Jan 18, 2021 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:06 pm

I have an interesting scenario perhaps someone can explain. My renewal date is end of January...so per the T&Cs, my $200 travel credit eligibility begins on my renewal date.

About 2 weeks ago, I charged 3 tickets (less than $100 each) on SWA for a total of $211.50. A few days later, I received 3 separate airline fee reimbursements totaling $200 (SWA is my selected airline for the airline fee credit).

Last week, I charged 2 tickets for $70.98 each on SWA. And I reserved and rented a car for $48.32 (via amextravel)...I reserved the car via amextravel because I thought I qualified for the $200 travel credit because the "Receive a $200 Travel Credit" window was on amex page.

Today, I see that the "Receive a $200 Travel Credit" counter is at $190.28 received with $9.72 to go! I believe the $190.28 is from the two $70.98 SWA ticket and the $48.32 rental car. But I haven't actually received the credit nor am I supposed to. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.