Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airlines eliminate change fees; other fees; impact on Amex airline fee credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

The big three airline all eliminated change fees today or yesterday. A few also eliminated standby fees. I have used the Amex Platinum credit to offset a change fee in the past. As airlines eliminate fees to attract customers, will Amex have to change its airline fee credits or replace it entirely? For example upgrades are now one of the main fees charged, yet Amex seems to officially not allow them to be reimbursed. I for one would welcome a permanent replacement of the airline fee credit with the Amex Travel statement credit...
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:44 pm

well, you can still buy these things on every airline (seat selection fee, baggage fee)

with the new changes, AA will allow Basic Economy to purchase priority boarding, seats, same-day confirmed flight changes (and upgrades, which would still not count towards amex credit)
(UA and DL still doesnt allow Basic economy to buyup)

the point is breakage.... if amex moves towards generic travel credit, there's not much breakage

I do expect the cost delta between Basic Economy and Regular ecnomy to grow.... which means it's better for Amex cardholders buying AA basic-economy (and manually buyup the individual features)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The big three airline all eliminated change fees today or yesterday. A few also eliminated standby fees. I have used the Amex Platinum credit to offset a change fee in the past. As airlines eliminate fees to attract customers, will Amex have to change its airline fee credits or replace it entirely? For example upgrades are now one of the main fees charged, yet Amex seems to officially not allow them to be reimbursed. I for one would welcome a permanent replacement of the airline fee credit with the Amex Travel statement credit...
If you fly American this might make it easier to utilize the Amex credits, since now their basic economy fares are upgrade-eligible.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by paperwastage
well, you can still buy these things on every airline (seat selection fee, baggage fee)
As an elite and airline card holder I don’t pay for bags. And the only seat “selection” fees I have paid on US carriers are for AS Premium Class seat (not officially covered by the credits). Food purchase? Well, are there any at this time? (I haven’t flown much this year).

I think the OP is making a fair point that the list of reimbursable fees is shrinking. Perhaps one way to make the benefit more usable would be to expand the list of airlines and remove the selection of one airline...
hkcj likes this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Aug 31, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:20 pm

I wonder how the news of change fees going away will impact the airline fee reimbursement. I think the method that is most often used here makes use of the fact that the additional collection codes like a change fee and possibly a fare difference.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Food purchase? Well, are there any at this time? (I haven’t flown much this year).
Definitely not on AA- no food or alcohol for purchase in coach; I think it might be the same for the other US 3 but not positive
Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by dw
Definitely not on AA- no food or alcohol for purchase in coach; I think it might be the same for the other US 3 but not positive
Definitely not on DL, as the only explanation that holds water for providing complimentary beer and wine in F/C+ but not having soft drinks for anyone is not wanting a cart going down the aisle in Y (a desire to prevent unionization probably underlies this).

​​​​​​In the short run, the low number of people traveling, as well as the somewhat lower elite composition of those traveling (both of which are related to the changes around change fees), also means that the airline lounges are nowhere near full, so I wouldn't be surprised to see efforts to sell lounge day-passes (which are explicitly allowed for the fee credit) by the airlines. Even on DL, where Plats won't be paying to get into the skyclub, guest fees could add up (though you would see a lot fewer his-and-hers (et al) Plats).

Explicitly allowing upgrade purchases would support an image of the Plat etc. as cards which upgrade your travel experience. Fewer people traveling hundreds of Y segments a year means that upgrades are a less important elite perk, so airlines will get more aggressive with premium cabin monetization.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Would be nice if they allowed the $200 to be used for wifi
dw and esc2476 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Can also use it for AA or United one-time lounge access.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Would be nice if they allowed the $200 to be used for wifi
that's because you fly AA/Delta

downgrade and fly united mainline , and you'll be fine
Platinum Amex Fee credit... Is wifi reimbursed?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paperwastage
that's because you fly AA/Delta

downgrade and fly united mainline , and you'll be fine
Platinum Amex Fee credit... Is wifi reimbursed?

I fly UA but I am about 50/50 on getting it reimbursed - probably due to UAX in the mix
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I fly UA but I am about 50/50 on getting it reimbursed - probably due to UAX in the mix
Wifi subscriptions supposedly counts for reimbursement too
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:33 am

I have never used the credits for change fees. I have used for baggage, food, alcohol, seat selection, etc. When traveling with family, the credit is usually exhausted in one trip because we sometimes have to pay for seat selection to sit together. So I still get full value even without using it for change fees.

A little off from the OP, but since this is the most current topic regarding Amex airline credits that I haven't figured out. If I book my original flight and include the baggage fee, is it still reimbursed or do I have to pay the fee at a later date for it to show up as a separate fee from my airfare? Does this vary with different airlines?

The reason I ask may be obvious, but since the credit expires at the end of the year, I can book a flight for next year now and include the fees. If my credit is already used up for this year, I would book flight now for next year but only add the baggage fee after Jan 1.

Thanks for responding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.