Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone prefer the old Centurion card design over the new one?

Anyone prefer the old Centurion card design over the new one?

Old Aug 26, 20, 12:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Programs: American Express Centurion
Posts: 46
Anyone prefer the old Centurion card design over the new one?

Anybody here prefer the old centurion card over the new updated one?

I feel the new one isn't as special as the previous card.

It feels more like an ordinary card and even the platinum card is heavier.

Last edited by JohnzCA; Aug 26, 20 at 10:06 am
JohnzCA is offline  
Old Aug 26, 20, 7:13 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 25,942
I would honestly appreciate if they would stop this heavy metal card nonsense. I now have 5 metal cards in my wallet, it's stupid. Offer on demand for high value cards Platinum and higher, but only on demand. I would in a heartbeat take the old plastic cards back
cfischer is offline  
Old Aug 26, 20, 8:26 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
Originally Posted by JohnzCA View Post
Anybody here prefer the old centurion card over the new updated one?

I feel the new one isn't as special as the previous card.

It feels more like an ordinary card and the platinum card is heavier than it.
Post picture of the two?

My wife's German Centurion stopped working, my RM told me we should have a replacement quite quickly as they are no longer produced in the US. Wonder if that means a new design as well.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 26, 20, 9:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: BA/EK/VS/TP Gold, Coutts Silk, Centurion
Posts: 1,299
Didn't Germany get its own design a couple of years ago which most people thought was somewhat questionable? I suspect the new US design will spread across the world to have some consistency for the brand. UK only just getting it......
YClass is offline  
Old Aug 26, 20, 10:34 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
Originally Posted by YClass View Post
Didn't Germany get its own design a couple of years ago which most people thought was somewhat questionable? I suspect the new US design will spread across the world to have some consistency for the brand. UK only just getting it......
Yes, I posted it in the German Centurion thread last year I think. It’s odd because I thought they WERE produced in Germany, given the unusual design.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Yes, I posted it in the German Centurion thread last year I think. It’s odd because I thought they WERE produced in Germany, given the unusual design.
I don't know where they are produced, but the envelope comes from Florida to Germany.
GUWonder likes this.
Jay66 is online now  
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:20 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
Originally Posted by Jay66 View Post
I don't know where they are produced, but the envelope comes from Florida to Germany.
They are not produced in FL. We had a list of suppliers posted a while back.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
They are not produced in FL. We had a list of suppliers posted a while back.
I figured that, but that was the address on the return label of the envelope.
Jay66 is online now  
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,839
I agree with the OP. The new card does not make a great package opener like the old metal card. It does not scrap ice off my vehicle windshield like the old metal card. Heck I can not even use the new card as an emergency screwdriver anymore. The new card delaminates easy.

Originally Posted by JohnzCA View Post
Anybody here prefer the old centurion card over the new updated one?

I feel the new one isn't as special as the previous card.

It feels more like an ordinary card and even the platinum card is heavier.
Deckter likes this.
Centurion is offline  
Old Aug 28, 20, 12:53 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Programs: American Express Centurion
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
I agree with the OP. The new card does not make a great package opener like the old metal card. It does not scrap ice off my vehicle windshield like the old metal card. Heck I can not even use the new card as an emergency screwdriver anymore. The new card delaminates easy.
Haha yeah, the old card was super durable.

The new card is weak and chips extremely easily.

Last edited by JohnzCA; Aug 30, 20 at 10:22 pm
JohnzCA is offline  
Old Aug 28, 20, 10:00 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Post picture of the two?

My wife's German Centurion stopped working, my RM told me we should have a replacement quite quickly as they are no longer produced in the US. Wonder if that means a new design as well.
Her new card arrived today. Lots of fancy packaging but the card itself looks and feels dreadful. Cheap and plasticky; very bendy in a way mine isn't. Doesn't sound or feel like metal. I told my RM that they didn't seem to try very hard with these. A bit of a joke.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 28, 20, 10:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Her new card arrived today. Lots of fancy packaging but the card itself looks and feels dreadful. Cheap and plasticky; very bendy in a way mine isn't. Doesn't sound or feel like metal. I told my RM that they didn't seem to try very hard with these. A bit of a joke.
Can you post a picture? Is it a different design?
Jay66 is online now  
Old Aug 28, 20, 10:16 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 28, 20, 10:17 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,783
I'm enjoying a nice glass of wine, as you may have guessed!
LondonElite is online now  
Old Aug 28, 20, 10:26 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm enjoying a nice glass of wine, as you may have guessed!
Enjoy!

As for the card, at least it’s uniform with the US again. “Looks” better than the old (German) one.
Jay66 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: