Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone prefer the old Centurion card design over the new one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone prefer the old Centurion card design over the new one?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jay66
Enjoy!

As for the card, at least it’s uniform with the US again. “Looks” better than the old (German) one.
Yes, the wine is nice!

I think the look is not great, but I think it's worse than before...

Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, the wine is nice!

I think the look is not great, but I think it's worse than before...

Which design is this, not seen this version before?

The new US style card has been a nightmare for chipping the top layer off - a new version was put into production in early July which is a lot better now (same design - but doesn't chip top layer).
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardMannion

The new US style card has been a nightmare for chipping the top layer off - a new version was put into production in early July which is a lot better now (same design - but doesn't chip top layer).
This is the German version of about two years ago.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Centurion

I just got a brand new card 2 weeks ago and it's already chipping. I looked on the back and it says 4/20 so I am assuming I don't have the latest card yet?

If I call them, will they know to send me the latest production card?
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JohnzCA
I just got a brand new card 2 weeks ago and it's already chipping. I looked on the back and it says 4/20 so I am assuming I don't have the latest card yet?

If I call them, will they know to send me the latest production card?
Yes - they should send you a new card, it's a well known problem that there is a production quality issue with the cards pre-July update - even the staff at the Centurion Lounges were aware of it.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Yes - they should send you a new card, it's a well known problem that there is a production quality issue with the cards pre-July update - even the staff at the Centurion Lounges were aware of it.
Just reached out to them. The rep confirmed that a lot of people has had this problem but he was unsure about the July cards being better. He will check with his team and get back to me.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion.... ETC.
Just reached out to them. The rep confirmed that a lot of people has had this problem but he was unsure about the July cards being better. He will check with his team and get back to me.
Here are some pics of my current black card. It's the new card but it's chipping like crazy on the edges. I don't use it anymore because it's embarrassing to pull out with all the damage on the edges.
I just use the card through Apple Pay and it's also good through Apple Pay because then other people don't know the card is black.

Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by superstar
Here are some pics of my current black card. It's the new card but it's chipping like crazy on the edges. I don't use it anymore because it's embarrassing to pull out with all the damage on the edges.
I just use the card through Apple Pay and it's also good through Apple Pay because then other people don't know the card is black.
Mine's exactly the same. The edges all around are peeling. Quite embarrassing for Amex.

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2020 at 2:44 pm Reason: Remove quoted images.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
And yet some people pay a premium for artificially aged/distressed clothing and furniture.
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Just got a reply back from my rep. Hope the new card is better.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Stainless steel 😂😂😂
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:22 am

What a joke now Amex downgraded the metal. I never have seen a company so out of touch with their demographic customer. Chase Saphire Reserver or Chase Ink and get 25%-50% more using points. Amex is a slow elephant. I am waiting for old man Buffet to leave them.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:05 am
Suspended

My wife's new card is certainly a lot more bendy than her old one. And it makes a distinctly different (hollow) sound when it hits the table.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Just got my new centurion card today and the date on the back still says 04/20?????

I am assuming I didn't get the latest card yet?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:12 pm

Anybody here prefer the old centurion card over the new updated one?

I feel the new one isn't as special as the previous card.

It feels more like an ordinary card and even the platinum card is heavier.
Someone mentioned to me that Amex was going to use different (more durable) card material for the Centurion Cards, which is why I asked you the question about your new Business Centurion on another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.